Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's the history of ice fishing, in Ohio?

I started ice fishing in 2010 and it was a great year for a beginner. That year I purchased a Cabelas Ice Shelter, which is VERY nice. Among my many ice fishing purchases was a 6" Eskimo auger, a tackle pack of jigs, 1 rod & reel, a Sheppell Jet Sled and a 12 lb. spud bar.

I've had my share of fun, but since last year's global warming trend and this year's freeze/melt season, I'm wondering what's the likelyhood of my continuing to ice fish. I'm actually thinking of setting all this stuff up, taking some pics and selling it. :smiley_chinrub:

My question, since I've not paid that much attention to how much ice fishing is available in past years...

How much ice fishing is available, on the average?
Is it worth keep the gear around for a couple weeks or days of fishing?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd say every other year is pretty decent... maybe every third year. I don't know. I haven't been doing it long enough to know for sure. I do know that no matter how sparse the ice fishing is, I wouldn't sell my gear. When the ice does finally show up, it's nice having everything there and ready to go.

Plus, there are lots of places within a few hours drive that freeze up better than we do. Ice fishing road trips can be a lot of fun.

I decided to put all my ice fishing gear back up in the attic, until next year. It ain't eatin' anything and sure as mud, next year it'll freeze up for 3 months and I'll be kicking my self till the cows come home. :smiley_blink:

I got all my open water fishing gear out, knocked the dust off of my kayak and am going to put my roof rails back on my CR-V, so that I'm ready to hit it...when there's some open water available. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Really good choice! I am not an ice fisherman. My bride however wants to get into it. The main problem is evident - we don't get a lot of ice. Northern MI does however, and we love it up there, so I may have to plan a trip for us in the next few years. You can never have too much outdoors gear, and hopefully someday you'll need it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My brother and some buddies are going up to Lake St Clair this weekend. They're trying to talk me into going but I don't know if I can swing it... Just too much crap going on.

Point being, there are way to many good ice fishing lakes within tolerable driving distances to get rid of ice gear just because we don't get consistent ice here.

I haven't gone in over 13 years and last weekend I decided it was time to take my son out. Was very glad to have the shanty, drill and poles all there ready to go. Just needed some fresh line and we were at it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Seems we just don't get the Winters we used to. I remember when I was a kid my grandparents, uncles, cousins, everyone had snowmobiles and we seem to go almost every weekend and ride them around.

Now I only know a handful of people that own them because they have to travel to ride them.

brock ratcliff said:
Northern MI does however, and we love it up there, so I may have to plan a trip for us in the next few years. You can never have too much outdoors gear, and hopefully someday you'll need it!
brock ratcliff,
There were several guys in N.W. Ohio that went on a 3 day weekend ice fishing trip to Cadillac, Mi., to ice fish Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac. While there was NO ice here, there they had 10" of good ice and were catching slab crappies.

I've never fished there, but used to bowhunt deer west of Cadillac, in the Manistee Nat. Forest and it is a beautiful area.

Bowhunter57

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
It wasnt nothing back in the day to drive out onto lake erie a mile out. And on good days limit out in no time.
It looked like tent city out there. I can remember augering through more then 18 inches of ice. You could fish with
2 poles but on good days you could barley keep one in the water. It was a blast. The only down side was having to
clean 200 perch. Man them perch are good eating.
We would also hit some rivers and do some pike spearing, Also a blast but at a slower pace.
There usted to be ice every year, Then it just went away, What a loss it was to us

Tiny

Last two years we have just gone to Michigan to ice fish. There was some good ice here in the northeast for a couple of weeks but not enough for me. Darn shame too because we love to ice fish.