Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your shot placement for coyotes...with a shotgun?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never hunted for them specifically, but nailed one with a muzzleoader .50 cal behind the shoulder.... I would like to hear what everyons take is with a shotgun... And to add to the post what distance out would be a good clean kill.... I would think IMO 50 yards would be probably pushing it???? I don't have any shotguns currently that would be classified as a turkey/yote gun... No removeable chokes on any or my guns as of yet...

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I aim for the chest, just like on a deer. Even with a super tight turkey choke loaded with 00 buck shot I think 50 yards would be the max for a decent kill. When I hunted varmits it was always nice to have a partner. One with a high powered rilfe for 50 yards and out and another with a full choked shotgun loaded with 00 buck for any close in work. Most of the areas I hunted had both open crop fields and woodlands.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I don't have a turkey choke, just a full choked Mossberg. I was just saying that an extra full turkey choke with hold a hell of a lot tighter pattern at 50 yards than a standard full. As far as what I am getting out of the Mossberg, hell I don't remember. I just know I spent a small fortune checking what shot best for me. Three 00 buck on a 10" circle at 40 yards would be good enough for me.

swantucky said:
I don't have a turkey choke, just a full choked Mossberg. I was just saying that an extra full turkey choke with hold a hell of a lot tighter pattern at 50 yards than a standard full.
swantucky,
That's what's important about patterning. "Paper doesn't lie", as they say. If a full choke is doing good, a modified or light modified might do better. Extended choke tubes pattern better because they have a longer parallel section that allows the shot to stop "bouncing" and stay together longer.

However, with larger shot sizes...especially lead, too tight of a constriction will cause the pellets to deform and cause "flyers" which can bust the pattern. This goes double for harder types of shot, because they bounce off of each other instead of deforming. Patterning can be a real pain in the keester and expensive too. Therefore the reason to make a phone call to the choke tube companies and ask questions. They've already spent the time and money, so I figure I might as well pick their brain...instead of spending my money. :smiley_chinrub:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
If I'm aiming, behind the shoulder. If I'm slinging lead, I just aim for the coyote. IMO, the only ethical shot on a coyote is one that leaves the barrel/string! :smiley_coolpeace: