Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When to affix your broadhead?

Smawgunner

Athens
New to bow this year. I screw on my broadhead once I’m in my stand, but the walk to and from, I’m unarmed. I don’t want to accidentally fall and seriously injure myself. Do you guys travel and hoist your bow up with the broadhead affixed? I can just see it now, I jump a nice buck and I’m left with my thumb up my butt.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
New to bow this year. I screw on my broadhead once I’m in my stand, but the walk to and from, I’m unarmed. I don’t want to accidentally fall and seriously injure myself. Do you guys travel and hoist your bow up with the broadhead affixed? I can just see it now, I jump a nice buck and I’m left with my thumb up my butt.
I think most here use quivers with the arrows in them and attached to the bow. Are you carrying your arrows loose? What kind of bow are you shooting?

Smawgunner

Athens
I think most here use quivers with the arrows in them and attached to the bow. Are you carrying your arrows loose? What kind of bow are you shooting?

10 pt. It has a quiver with a molded foam insert that fits only the practice tip. Maybe take that foam piece out? I’ll have to look at it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
10 pt. It has a quiver with a molded foam insert that fits only the practice tip. Maybe take that foam piece out? I’ll have to look at it.
What do you mean by modified? Can you push the broadhead in the foam? Sometimes the foam has a round hole or is solid but you can push the BH in cutting the foam so it custom fits your BH. Unless you're using mechanical heads, then just remove the foam.

Smawgunner

Athens
What do you mean by modified? Can you push the broadhead in the foam? Sometimes the foam has a round hole or is solid but you can push the BH in cutting the foam so it custom fits your BH. Unless you're using mechanical heads, then just remove the foam.
Molded, not modified. I’m using mechanical....hypodermics. Don’t think I need the foam so I’ll see if that does the trick. Thanks all!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Take a large flat blade screwdriver and center it on the hole you have in the foam. Press into foam 1/4 - 3/8" and it will customize the foam for your rage hypodermics.

Fletch

Supporting Member
If a poll were taken: You'd be the first and only person screwing on his broadheads up in a tree... With todays quivers you'd be hard pressed to cut yourself in the field when used properly... Many,many years ago there were quivers (if you want to call them that) that slipped over the limbs of a recurve that had no hood. Now those were dangerous. Doubt if TOO many on here remember them.
Years ago when I had a quiver with foam in them and I used fixed blade broadheads, I'd just take the head I was using for practice and insert it in the foam, thus cutting it exactly to the broadhead I was using. Doubt this would work with expandables. Today my go to quiver is the old reliable Kwikee Quiver. No foam and it holds the arrows safely and securely. First thing I checked this year when I bought a cross bow was if the mounting bracket would fit.. Fit perfectly... Go on ebay and check out Kwikee Quivers...
Here Ya go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kwikee-Com...393857&hash=item5b19fbc673:g:~f0AAOSwKIpWCstb

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If a poll were taken: You'd be the first and only person screwing on his broadheads up in a tree... With todays quivers you'd be hard pressed to cut yourself in the field when used properly... Many,many years ago there were quivers (if you want to call them that) that slipped over the limbs of a recurve that had no hood. Now those were dangerous. Doubt if TOO many on here remember them.
Years ago when I had a quiver with foam in them and I used fixed blade broadheads, I'd just take the head I was using for practice and insert it in the foam, thus cutting it exactly to the broadhead I was using. Doubt this would work with expandables. Today my go to quiver is the old reliable Kwikee Quiver. No foam and it holds the arrows safely and securely. First thing I checked this year when I bought a cross bow was if the mounting bracket would fit.. Fit perfectly... Go on ebay and check out Kwikee Quivers...
Here Ya go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kwikee-Com...393857&hash=item5b19fbc673:g:~f0AAOSwKIpWCstb
Awaa common... It wasn't that many years ago.:smiley_depressive:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Awaa common... It wasn't that many years ago.:smiley_depressive:

LOL.... I must really be getting old.... I remember stringing my recurve and pulling my leg out, only to stick my heal with a Super Hilbre Broadhead... Those I think came out around 1966.... So...Doubt many of the young bucks on here remember them...

The guys pretty much covered it, hunter's safety usually covers keeping your broadheads (on the arrow/bolt) in a quiver to protect you from the blades. Screwing it on and off likely will dull the blades and give you risk of cutting yourself either when putting it on/off or carrying it separately. No shame in asking the question as we all start from somewhere.