Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where I'm at

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you start to have an issue with the arm sleve getting in the way take an old (non white) sock and cut the toe out of it. Tada Arm sleeve.

Also as the guys said. Don't draw too early. Odds are you will though. Hell i think i do every year on the first deer. As soon as i draw i'm like way to go bonehead rookie. Now you get to hold this sucker back. LOL.

Also about the pin float and level.. Don't worry about that level for now. Concentrate on the pins.. Pin float is important. If you try to hold the pin on the bull you will usually not shoot as good. Archery is mostly mental IMO. Float the pin and get good at shooting like that. Nobody here holds a pin rock steady on the bull.

rrr

Considering legal hunting hours, I won't be in Ohio for that many hours this year before gun season!

Jack- can you expand on that? It's always been clear to me when to flip the safety, raise the gun, hold, and pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Matt

Norton, OH
The one thing you will realize when you see that first deer coming into range is that the rush of bowhunting is like nothing you have experienced before. It's almost like killing your first deer all over again. Just relax, have confidence in your abilities and enjoy yourself.

rrr

Stepped outside and I was slapping arrows into vitals at 25 and 30 yards without a problem, my first shot was a lil low though but still hit the bag, and then was shooting from the deck too (found my semi elevated position).

All good news :D I am going to wait until fall break for a few reasons but man I am pumped!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just found and went through this thread. Not much left I can offer except;

If you enjoy a bow or gun, it will be there for you whenever life settles down or you you need that escape. Once you understand the basic "care and feeding" , it will be there. Over the years my time in the woods has fluctuated. Some years I got "lucky" w/ little time out and other years, I spent huge amounts of time and got nothing.

Good Luck.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Really hard to add much that hasn't already been addressed. You will know yourself if you are ready, and reading through the thread it sounds like you are. One thing that was brought up was the muscles used when shooting a bow. If you can't have your bow at school with you, there's a few ways to practice drawing that will keep those muscles ready. I have been using the P90-X bands indoors to stretch out my arm from the surgery. With a little practice you can mimic drawing a bow with them. They also used to sell a device just for this purpose. I can't remember what it is called, but maybe some will chime in and add to this. To me, my shooting form and back muscles are the main thing I need to work on after an absence from shooting, and it usually doesn't take long to get right where i need to be.

I hope this helps you out some way Steve, and good luck when you make it out.

Dale

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I disagree with the "don't worry about it" attitude I see posted here. I am nuts when it comes to preparing to kill deer, maybe that's why I think you are getting bad advice. Example: Muzzy is a great broadhead, but it won't fly worth a crap if your bow is not properly tuned. You cannot tune it well enough via paper to KNOW your broadheads will impact the same as fieldpoints. You need to shoot whatever heads you choose before hunting. Additionally, you need to practice. Just because you shot well two months ago does not mean you will when dealing with flesh and blood. Find enough time to shoot a few arrows...I shoot nearly everyday of the year. I've gotten pretty decent over the years, and above average when I pay attention. However, superior accuracy on the target range hasn't been a focus for years...my hunting shots don't need to all be an 11, I just need all of my hunting shots to be a 10 and to happen without having to think about every detail like pin-float and how level my bow is...I want it level automatically, a quick check to confirm vs. fighting to keep it level, etc.

You are dealing with living animals. For the sake of the animal and the sport itself, do your part. The first step in doing that IMO, would be to get with Milo as he suggested. I know him, he knows bows and broadheads. You couldn't ask for a better mentor to aid you. Let him fine tune your set-up, a few tweaks from someone with experience is invaluable to a new bow hunter, take advantage of his offer. If that isn't in the cards for whatever reason, do your part by getting a little range time...and buy mechanical heads! They will fly like a field point, at least much closer than a muzzy without extra tuning of form or bow. You don't need anything too fancy. The recent trend is to knock on the heads that use a rubberband to hold in the blades...however, I think they are perfect for deer. They won't deploy early, and they will open EVERY time. The slight energy loss due to opening is not an issue on deer sized critters... Use them!

Keep your shots reasonable. Relaxed animals, at a good angle, die quickly. You don't want your first to turn into a nightmare because your tried to force a shot that wasn't there. I usually draw my bow while reminding myself that I am not going to get the shot, just trying to be prepared. Then, when things are perfect the arrow is gone and the critter is dead. It works for me, I've only lost animals when I tried to push for a perfect shot instead of waiting for it to happen. You can't force things to go your way when trying to kill with a bow...so don't try it. The time pushing issues is on the practice range...

Good luck

rrr

Dale - that is something that's occurred to me. Right now I am playing intramural football 3 nights a week and lifting the other two, plus normally picking up a lift on the weekend. I try to do a balanced work out of free and mech weights and didn't have any problems drawing my bow back (68#) at all this week, many many times. You are absolutely right about muscle memory though. I do need to find a way, maybe bands, to have good form.

Brock -thanks for the advice. I have been, am, and will be talking to Milo. You're correct, I couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable, helpful guy to hook me up. I do think I'm going with fixed broad heads though.

----

Just a general update, I did shoot three different times this weekend and had no problem putting all of my shots (with the exception of two) into the vitals side of my shooting bag, from 20-30 yards. I moved around quite a bit and shot off the deck too, though I need to shoot out of a higher platform. I am confident that my skills are where they need to be. I plan on shooting Wed night when I get home, maybe Thursday morning and hooking up with Milo and then spending a great deal of my 4 day break in the woods. It was wonderful to get out on Saturday morning to do some scouting / squirrel hunting but man did I want to have my bow in my hands!