Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where to hunt once the lead stops

Buckkillr

Athens
I have 150 acre of a combination of Creek beds, wide open woods and bunches of thickets. We have feeders and camera's going and still have some decent bucks on camera as of yesterday but of course there all at night now.

Question is where you-all hunt after the gun pressure has been put on all around you.

My experience is after the rut and gun season it is very difficult to see mature bucks in daylight. The only exception is like what Brock is saying and when it gets really cold or a storm is coming in then that will get them on their feet. At this point in the season though they are still extremely wary and the slightest thing will send them in the other direction. Also tough now to get cover behind you when hunting from a treestand.

Reactions: Concordmeadowsfarm

Buckkillr

Athens
Fortunately cover isn't a big issue, we have a million beech tree's that keeps there leaves all year, noisy but great cover.

Food is a huge problem there due to it being logged several years ago, very few oaks and the ones that are there haven't yielded much, which Is mostly why we run the feeders.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Fortunately cover isn't a big issue, we have a million beech tree's that keeps there leaves all year, noisy but great cover.

Food is a huge problem there due to it being logged several years ago, very few oaks and the ones that are there haven't yielded much, which Is mostly why we run the feeders.

There’s a thread about feeders vs dumping corn at a specific day and time to get them acclimated too the intrusion.... Mature bucks on average won’t venture too a feeder during daylight hours.... @Jackalope

reo

N.E. Ohio

Should be fantastic browse in new growth a year or two after the logging.

Should be fantastic browse in new growth a year or two after the logging.

Yep. Not too often that there is acorns left this time of the year in any quantity for deer to hit, so browse is the king of the food other than a feeder. However since browse is natural deer will tend to hit it in daylight close to their bedding and then hit your feeder after dark.

Buckkillr

Athens
Tomorrow going to be a scout and move stands around in hopes of a chance next week of a big guy strolling thru looking for some food. Im hopeing by the end of next week the second phase of rut will start to get going and better my odds.
P.S. I will pack the muzzleloader while doing all this just encase ;)

Reactions: Concordmeadowsfarm

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Tomorrow going to be a scout and move stands around in hopes of a chance next week of a big guy strolling thru looking for some food. Im hopeing by the end of next week the second phase of rut will start to get going and better my odds.
P.S. I will pack the muzzleloader while doing all this just encase ;)
Second phase of the rut? You mean the second rut when some of the yearlings come into heat? If so, that's happening somewhere right now.

Creamer

Athens
In my experience, there's a huge difference between bowhunting a property that was pounded during gun season vs one that wasn't. A property that didn't see pressure from gun season, I don't see any difference before/after. Focus on the food like Brock said, especially on colder weather days, and you'll see deer. On properties I have hunted that do see increased gun season pressure, it seemed like it took a little time for the deer to "calm back down" and start moving normally again. But, still, if it's cold and they are hungry, they will move for food.

Reactions: Quantum673 and "J"

Buckkillr

Athens
I have been seeing a few bucks, nothing worthy yet. One was damn wide but a skinny rack and missing several tines☹️

P.s. secondary rut is in, I missed Sunday and Monday😠 and got out yesterday and at least one Doe is being ran ragged

Ive had several chances at him even back before rut but man his rack is like pencils nearly. Not sure what minerals increase mass but he needs a lot of it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181210-122903.png
    Screenshot_20181210-122903.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 296