Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Do You Prefer???

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some of my most memorable experiences and best hunts were mature bucks I watched from a distance. Just about every one of them gave me time. None of them came home with me. If you get an opportunity to observe a mature buck slowly work his way thru the woods it is amazing to watch. You learn why they get that big. Very deliberate in every single step. I've had 3 experiences where they got 50-100yds away, no shot, bow in hand. If they got into bow range it would have been difficult.

On the flip side, the biggest buck I killed offered me less than 3 sec to decide. I got down, checked a camera card and waited because the camera pics looked much smaller. I was sick. I thought what I saw from the stand was huge. The pics looked otherwise. In person there was no shrinkage. He might have grown in fact. 3-5 more seconds might have helped. I rushed the shot and made a terrible hit. Fortunate to have recovered him.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
All of the "bigger" deer that I have killed have either snuck up on me or came running in out of nowhere. I don't care how they get in front of my arrow, as long as they do. I only hope that I can keep my shit together enough to do my part.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Of the 5 bucks hanging in the man cave, 4 were the result of "oh shit, there he is" and the whole thing was over quickly. My biggest buck is the exception. I watched him stroll majestically through an overgrown field for 300 yards. Thankfully, it was the 3rd time I'd seen him in 24 hours and that morning, we'd played a 10 minute game of cat and mouse that shook the jitters out for the day. By the time he made it to 8 steps that evening, I was ready to rock.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I killed a buck in 2010 that I shouldn't have shot. From the time I saw him, to the time he was dead, was 20-30 seconds max. One of those beautiful 2.5 year olds that you need time to analyze if you're goals are older age class bucks. Learned my lesson that day!