Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Savage rifle?

I'm looking for a Savage bolt action, in 243, for coyotes.
I'll most likely remove the barrel/action and install them into a MDT Chassis system. Savage makes an Axis II Precision with this stock, from the factory.

My choices off of the Savage website:
* Axis II Precision
* Apex Predator
* 110 Apex Hunter XP
* Purchase a Savage action, a barrel and install them into a MDT Chassis.

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Savage Axis II Precision.jpg
    Savage Axis II Precision.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Savage Apex Predator-XP.jpg
    Savage Apex Predator-XP.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Savage 110 Apex Predator-XP.jpg
    Savage 110 Apex Predator-XP.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 130

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Should we base our suggestions on what we hope to buy in a few months?

I’d be happy to have any of those guns in the near future. Sorry to be of no practical use.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
All of them will definitely get the job done Daniel, but if you're looking to upgrade any parts and/or do any special add-ons, the Savage 110 aftermarket stuff is live and well. That'd be the one I'd buy knowing that I always like to take most all of my rifles to the next level over stock.

Good luck to ya this year on those yotes. I'm definitely looking forward in gettin after'em myself as soon as I'm done with my deer season.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
The 110 gets my vote based on my experience with that particular platform.
bowhunter1023,
Thank you, sir. I've heard nothing but good things about the 110.

All of them will definitely get the job done Daniel, but if you're looking to upgrade any parts and/or do any special add-ons, the Savage 110 aftermarket stuff is live and well. That'd be the one I'd buy knowing that I always like to take most all of my rifles to the next level over stock.

Good luck to ya this year on those yotes. I'm definitely looking forward in gettin after'em myself as soon as I'm done with my deer season.
Wildlife,
Thank you and I agree with you, as the 110 seems to rule every corner of the Savage market.

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Wildlife and 5Cent

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Does it matter? :unsure:
My buying and selling of guns is my way of "test driving" a few weapons. I rarely lose money on the sales and have enjoyed them all.
I thought my question was a legitimate one.

Bowhunter57
No reason to get a case of the red ass. Just figured I'd ask bc eventually you'll list it on here to sell it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It was funny. BH57 has a good sense of humor. Hopefully he gets a chuckle out of it when he realizes you were messing. You have to admit Daniel, you've been developing a pattern. Lol

Reactions: Dustinb80
Have you considered the bergara b-14 hmr.
Archertl,
I had never heard of them, but gave them a look/see on their website. Amazing rifles, clean set ups and offered in several calibers....except the 243 that I'm looking for in a rifle. :rolleyes: I'm tempted to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but everything that I have (reloading dies, bullets, brass, etc.) is set up for 243.

Thanks just the same,
Bowhunter57

Reactions: Archertl
Archertl,
I had never heard of them, but gave them a look/see on their website. Amazing rifles, clean set ups and offered in several calibers....except the 243 that I'm looking for in a rifle. :rolleyes: I'm tempted to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but everything that I have (reloading dies, bullets, brass, etc.) is set up for 243.

Thanks just the same,
Bowhunter57

They have a pretty good following and reputation out here in the PNW. They were pretty popular with the New Zealand shooters i hung out with while visiting NZ as well. I do see your conundrum with being setup for a caliber vs adding a new one to the rotation.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Archertl,
I got to see and hold the Bergara rifles, today. Very, very nice and they have matching price tags to go with it. :rolleyes:
I'm finding the 243 in almost every brand, except Savage. The Savage rifles that I've been finding are Youth models and extremely expensive (but very nice) High Country models.
I may take a long look at the Thompson/Center models, like the Venture ll. I've not found any bad reviews on them.
I found one with a stainless threaded barrel and no scope for $492. :cool:

Bowhunter57

After making a lot of calls to several gun shops, I finally found one with some 243s in stock. Sportsman's Den, in Shelby, was able to hook me up with an amazing price on an amazing Savage 110 Predator. I'll post some photos of my own, after I get it set up, but until then here's a factory photo.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Savage 110 Predator.jpg
    Savage 110 Predator.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 136