Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which stand to hunt Saturday - WWYD?

Which stand?

• Stand one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stand two

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I am planning an all day sit for Saturday and I have two stand choices. Wind will be fine for each, and I am planning to split the day between the stands. Question is, which to go to first. Stand one (west side) is on the way to stand two (east side). Stand one is on an oak ridge, 40 yards off a giant community scrape under a beech tree.

Stand two is tight to bedding and tons of rubs, including some rubs that are clearly being made while the buck is bedded. It is going to be raining hard Friday and lighten up Saturday but still rain forecasted for the entire day.

Here’s the plight. Do I hunt the closer stand (one) in the morning as to not walk across the property first thing? It is on that scrape so TV widsom would say they’ll be hitting that when the rain slows. Then I would still-hunt my way to stand two, but be walking close to bedding, midday.

Or, do I go to stand two near bedding first thing, using the rain to my advantage to get there quietly and washing scent away and getting in before they get back to bed.

Thanks for any input! Considering uploading some aerials if we want to make this a case study.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
That's a tough one. From what you have told me, and I am no expert on deer hunting, I would try to sneak into stand two way before sun up. Get settled in and try to catch does and cruising bucks coming back to the bedding area. Hunt this until after noon, depending on what's observed, stay there or use the rain to sneak into stand one in the early afternoon. Still hunt this stand slowly, like your doing a spot and stalk. Might catch one freshening up those scrapes.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Cogz

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
id hunt stand one first, with the rain and moon the way it is right now, they will most likely be headed to bedding earlier if they are feeding more at night. i think you could catch them coming out of the bedding in the afternoon if the rain slows to go feed.

Reactions: Cogz

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sounds like you’ve already chosen stand two and I’m a little late to the party...but I agree with your decision. Like stated earlier, get in early and stay all day. Walking into a bedding area at midday is too risky.

Jamie

Ohio
I don't like to relocate from a stand during the day unless winds change in an unfavorable way. Stand two first for sure. If you don't want to sit all day, it's more sensible to sneak away from a bedding area than into one in middle part of the day. One of my best ambushes is a morning only or all dayer. I would never try to get to it in the daylight,

Reactions: jagermeister

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I am late, but I believe you made the right choice. Either way, the entire time you’ll wish you were in the other one! 😂
Exactly. I just thought to myself - I’m not gonna be able to walk past that first stand without climbing into am I?

Reactions: giles