Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whiskey barrel pedestal mount.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm next in line for this style of mount. Buying the barrel today and the 3-way hanging system is on the way. I've got the perfect corner for it and will put my 3 bucks from here at the house on it. I need one more mounter from the farm and I'll do a second with bucks from there! I'll snap some pics once it's done. Thanks for the inspiration Brian! I've been kicking this around long enough and decided to burn a little of my Christmas money on the barrel and hanging system. 👍

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm next in line for this style of mount. Buying the barrel today and the 3-way hanging system is on the way. I've got the perfect corner for it and will put my 3 bucks from here at the house on it. I need one more mounter from the farm and I'll do a second with bucks from there! I'll snap some pics once it's done. Thanks for the inspiration Brian! I've been kicking this around long enough and decided to burn a little of my Christmas money on the barrel and hanging system. 👍
Cool Jesse you will like it. You going to do habitat on it or leave it bare? Some guys just throw sheds on the base I just thought the habitat looks alot better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Cool Jesse you will like it. You going to do habitat on it or leave it bare? Some guys just throw sheds on the base I just thought the habitat looks alot better.

I'm going to lay sheds on it. Not super original, but I like the looks and it gives me a spot for the memorable sheds. My buck from this year may end up on a pedestal with habitat using the classic fence post setup.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Brian... Somehow I must have missed this thread... Everything looks OUTSTANDING... Congrats on a ton of great animals... Most people downsize their homes as they reach their golden years... You may need a bigger one...

My first pedestal mount we did it with a habitat top with leaves, grasses and a small log. Looked like shit after a year or two with the dust and all. Try to dust it, vacuum and even blow with an air compressor and the leaves broke apart, grass looked shitty. Just piled antlers on it after that and is the way I would go.

Reactions: Spencie

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not 100% done with it, but it's functional and is what I'd hoped it would be. All 3 of these bucks were killed here where I live. The bottom buck is from 2012. I killed him while Tracie was at Kaydence's baby shower after 2 encounters with him prior to that evening. Scored 139" gross, was aged at 5.5 and dressed at 215. Middle buck is my first mature buck and the first deer I ever captured on trail cam. Grosses 136", was 6.5 and dressed 205. The buck on the top I killed in 2008 and scores 110" with 41" of mass and every tine has some portion broken off. He was aged at 6.5 as well. I killed him less than 5 minutes after settling in for the afternoon. I need one more buck off our farm to build a complementary barrel with my 2019 and 2021 bucks. Hopefully it doesn't take another 15 years! 🤣

IMG_20220123_145416_115.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm not 100% done with it, but it's functional and is what I'd hoped it would be. All 3 of these bucks were killed here where I live. The bottom buck is from 2012. I killed him while Tracie was at Kaydence's baby shower after 2 encounters with him prior to that evening. Scored 139" gross, was aged at 5.5 and dressed at 215. Middle buck is my first mature buck and the first deer I ever captured on trail cam. Grosses 136", was 6.5 and dressed 205. The buck on the top I killed in 2008 and scores 110" with 41" of mass and every tine has some portion broken off. He was aged at 6.5 as well. I killed him less than 5 minutes after settling in for the afternoon. I need one more buck off our farm to build a complementary barrel with my 2019 and 2021 bucks. Hopefully it doesn't take another 15 years! 🤣

View attachment 144535
Some great looking bucks there... Will look fantastic in another room with a better backdrop....(y)

Reactions: bowhunter1023

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, my bands have the KY stamped pins on the bands as well BUT they are not fastened or embedded into the staves so the bottom two bands can and prolly will slide down due to constriction and gravity.
What Brian did looks great and works perfectly but another option that would work is using clear liquid nails and tap the top two bands down to the original location with the CLN in place and let them set then flip barrel and repeat steps on the other two top bands. Just scrape off any excessive glue that oozes out the sides. 👍🏻

What I would do is mark where the bands are first then tap bottom two bands loose till the drop to floor. Lift barrel high enough to get bands out then flip barrel over and then apply glue lightly where bands were doing the bigger inner band first then do the smaller outer band next. Give it plenty of time to set then repeat same process with the other 2 bands.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I found a good spot to hang a few of my turkey beards. I think they look good there. The two in the middle with the plastic caps are my recurve kills. Never did give scores on those 3 bucks but the one on the right is a 175 gross 9 point his right g2 is 15 inches left is 14.The droptine buck in the middle is 180 gross and the buck on the left is 164 gross.
20220828_110654.jpg
Screenshot_20220828-113144_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: