Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildgame Cameras....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Over the years I've heard ALOT of bad reviews concerning Wildgame cameras.... I have to disagree as I think they are the most reliable camera out there for the money... Yesterday I went to check my bear spot and found it all tore up only to go home with high expectations of checking the pics, to finding that the card was BLANK.... It was a Primos camera.... Same camera I had out last year that the bear walked in front of 6 times and not a single pic... Was out in Illinois last week to check cams we put out in March and had a Moultrie stop taking pics in May... My friend had 4 Wildgames out since March and THEY NEVER SKIPPED A BEAT..All 4 had pics of me walking up to them... So say what you will, but I've had very good luck with them...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I’ve found that all cameras have good ones and crappy ones from model to model and year to year. None of them last, a couple might but most have a shelf life. I love/hate them. I’m talking about all brands. Some are better, battery life is important to me cause that’s a cost that keeps giving after purchase. I wish they could make a 5 mg cam that last and pretty cheap. Who the hell need 20 meg pics? I’m not looking to make posters out of cam pics. All I need to know what is there, frequency and hopefully figure out a pattern.

All these manufacturers trying to outdo the other with more quality that ends up costing more. Typically a cam might work good for 2 years.... there are exceptions, some way less and some way more.

I quit running cams years ago. Last year I bought 3 and only put one out for a month. I now have 6 and will try to use them more to gather inventory and better understand my numbers. Yeah I also want to see if I have any target bucks....no naming them for me, they aren’t pets and I don’t have that many to know what deer I’m talking about.

Although I’ve wanted to know every buck on my property, not knowing anything made me hunt harder and enjoy hunting more.

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
I’ve found that all cameras have good ones and crappy ones from model to model and year to year. None of them last, a couple might but most have a shelf life. I love/hate them. I’m talking about all brands. Some are better, battery life is important to me cause that’s a cost that keeps giving after purchase. I wish they could make a 5 mg cam that last and pretty cheap. Who the hell need 20 meg pics? I’m not looking to make posters out of cam pics. All I need to know what is there, frequency and hopefully figure out a pattern.

All these manufacturers trying to outdo the other with more quality that ends up costing more. Typically a cam might work good for 2 years.... there are exceptions, some way less and some way more.

I quit running cams years ago. Last year I bought 3 and only put one out for a month. I now have 6 and will try to use them more to gather inventory and better understand my numbers. Yeah I also want to see if I have any target bucks....no naming them for me, they aren’t pets and I don’t have that many to know what deer I’m talking about.

Although I’ve wanted to know every buck on my property, not knowing anything made me hunt harder and enjoy hunting more.

Boy.... YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD... I agree 110 percent... Keep the camera simple and leave out the gimmicks and 4 or 5 megapixels are plenty... Like you said I'm not looking to make a poster, just see what's around... Also you are right all brands have issues... Something that sits out in the elements for any period of time is bound to develope issues... That's why I'm beginning to like Wildgame cameras... They are cheap and after 2 years throw them out and replace them... As for relying on them to hunt??? Maybe for bears on bait but deer are a different story...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

I agree with most of what you said....but how could you not name a deer? Who here hasn’t named a deer “Mr. Snuggle Bunny” or “Mr. Giggles”?😂😂

Reactions: triple_duece

Chass

The Hills
I've ran a few wild games, havent had one make it thru the year. Now my moultries, I've not had a single one die yet. Some are 3+ years old and a few spend 95% of the time outside. I always wait for a sale usually on the last years model of no glows and spend 60-70 per camera.
I would probably recommend wild game cams over primos though as they aren't really a game camera company. I doubt they even had much to do with the designs or anything with them. Most likely contacted a Chinese company and had them throw their name on a generic camera that you could get your own name on.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Reconyx makes some of the best cameras IMHO....but you're definitely gonna pay for it. I ran a pair for about 10 years before they got stolen.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Reconyx makes some of the best cameras IMHO....but you're definitely gonna pay for it. I ran a pair for about 10 years before they got stolen.

And who wants to invest that kind of money to most likely be stolen? First year I bought my place, second season to hunt it. I had everything planted and cut. Put my Bushnell cams out. 3 weeks later went to pull cards out of my brand new cams and the first was gone. Ain’t that a M Fer!

Fletch

Supporting Member
And who wants to invest that kind of money to most likely be stolen? First year I bought my place, second season to hunt it. I had everything planted and cut. Put my Bushnell cams out. 3 weeks later went to pull cards out of my brand new cams and the first was gone. Ain’t that a M Fer!
3 weeks, damn.. In Jersey, camera wouldn't last a week on most lands... Gotta put up a camera watching a camera... Was gonna put my Spartan out across from my house to work the bugs out, then I thought to myself: what are you crazy... Just ordered a Wildgame with SD card and batteries for $47.00....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I guess I’m lucky...I hunt a lot of public land in Jersey and have never had a camera stolen. I do use security boxes lag bolted to a tree but if someone’s wanted it bad enough, a pair of bolt cutters or a chain saw would take it. I have had tree stands that were chained and locked stolen though.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I guess I’m lucky...I hunt a lot of public land in Jersey and have never had a camera stolen. I do use security boxes lag bolted to a tree but if someone’s wanted it bad enough, a pair of bolt cutters or a chain saw would take it. I have had tree stands that were chained and locked stolen though.
Man you are lucky... You know you just jinxed yourself... Friend of mine had two stolen last year that were in lock boxes... We think whoever did it found both earlier and came back with a battery operated metal cutter as both locks were cut very neatly and lying at the base of tree...Why do people gotta mess with others stuff???

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Man you are lucky... You know you just jinxed yourself... Friend of mine had two stolen last year that were in lock boxes... We think whoever did it found both earlier and came back with a battery operated metal cutter as both locks were cut very neatly and lying at the base of tree...Why do people gotta mess with others stuff???
I’ve found many cameras and stands in the woods. Many didn’t have locks. I’ve never taken one as I wouldn’t want anyone to steal mine. Maybe it’s good karma that I’ve never had one stolen. Whenever I scout, if I find signs of another hunter, I move on. I don’t want the competition.

Reactions: Fletch
I have had a Wildgame one for several years. It does good enough for the money. I really like my old Browning cameras as they have been the best that I have had. Really like the Cuddelink system for camp, but am trying using solar panels on them this year to get longer battery life out of them.

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I've got 2 WGI tailcams. One is 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. They both work great! I paid $40 for each of them at Field and Stream.

I put mine out on public. I elevate them to about 12 feet up. Never had one stolen and I've gotten pictures of other people walking by them.

Reactions: Big_Holla