Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife 2019/2020 Deer Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Good luck and enjoy Denny! I feel so inadequate and unprepared after catching up with your thread. Lol

Hey thanks!

That is funny cause I actually feel like I'm a bit behind in my shit. I usually have all this stuff done by now, including having all my licking branches up and mock scraps done. I'll be doing those as I go 'TOO' at this point.

This journal will be used a reminder for me next year to get my shit together much sooner :LOL:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Friday, October 4, 2019:

Can't tell you how happy I am after spending most of my day in the stand.

Definitely replenished my soul and I'm even more excited to get back at it again tomorrow!

Anyhow, continuing onward with today's observations.
20191004_140250[1].jpg

I got to my tree and up into it very early without any incidents or issues of any kind,

however,

no sooner I got all my gear set up, including my camera apparatus attached to the tree, I heard one, maybe two deer get up just on the other side of the creek behind me, roughly 30-40 yards away, and they walked slowly further North towards a standing corn field.

It sounded like one of them was a buck for sure because I heard what sounded like an antler hitting some tree limbs as he headed out of the woods.

I was fairly certain that I was real quiet and stealthy the entire time getting settled in, but it's possible that he heard me and I pushed him away.

30 minutes later...

As soon as it started getting light out, approximately 120 yards South of me, right in the middle of the harvested bean field was a real large black & white coyote on the march quartering towards me, but further South. I ended up losing sight of him as he continued towards the woods.

10 minutes later, a smaller coyote, brown grey in color ran away from the area that the first headed. It kept looking back where the first one went as it continued on towards my home.

If I only had my rifle in my hands, there would've been a good chance I bagged'em both.

Anyhow,,,

about an hour after that, approximately 8:30 a.m., I seen our regulars feeding on the other side of the field, roughly 250 yards away, just over the crest of the hill.

They feed for about 30 minutes, then slowly walked towards the house.

No other deer activity occurred or at least seen the rest of the morning. Just plenty of squirrels, a couple of hawks and an owl.

I had to get down around 11:00 a.m. and head home to take care of a few things.

I ate some lunch then turned back around approximately 2:00 p.m.

On my way back to my stand, I stopped at the area where I first seen the deer in the morning.

Know I understand now why they feed for such a long time.
20191004_134330[1].jpg

Plenty of left over soybeans.

Once I got settled back into my stand again, it didn't take long at all for me to take a well needed nap for a couple of hours. That nice crisp cool breeze of the day is better than any sleepy pill let me tell ya :LOL:

I woke back up a little after four and started glassing the entire area, looking for anything that moved, no such luck though other than just more squirrels.

Finally, within the last 30 minutes of legal hunting, I seen the same three deer once again, feeding in the exact same spot earlier this morning.

They stuck around til after dark and I waited on'em to leave area before I could make my way home.

I left my climber and I'll be heading back at it in the morning.

Then tomorrow afternoon, I'll pack everything up and head out to one of my other hunting setups.

I'm not interested in any of those antlerless deer I seen today. They're my regulars, a mommy doe and her spotted fawn plus another young antlerless deer.

However, I am interest in the deer that was behind much earlier in the morning before daylight.

Hopefully, my leaving my climber hooked up to that tree might make things even more stealthy for me in the morning.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Saturday, October 5, 2019:

Well, "Never Trust A Fart" when you become an old man!

Had to get down around 9:30 a.m.

I packed everything up and headed straight home so I could sit on the 'Throne'!
2019-10-05 09.56.01.jpg

That pizza I had last night didn't go over to well apparently. This outhouse gets used often throughout my hunting season and if you don't have one near your hunting locations, then build one cause you'll get old one day 'TOO' :LOL:

So I'm thoroughly confident that I didn't push the buck yesterday before sunrise cause I got to see him this morning @7:15 a.m, right at first light.

I heard him get up again today, a little after seven and I could hear him eating leaves off the saplings that were around him.

He finally stepped out briefly in a small open area in the woods where I could get a better look at him. I only seen him briefly as he headed straight towards the other cut soybean field, right next door to me.

There's a good deer run that he uses, that I know that cause I seen it there last season 'TOO'.

Him and another beds literally 40 yards right behind the tree I was setup in.

Now I know for sure what I heard yesterday morning in the dark. He was clueless that I was right above him watching him today.

I didn't get a super good look at his rack, but he has a nice size body to him. His tines are of decent length and I couldn't tell if he's a 4x4 or 5x5.

At least I know where he beds now, right along with another smaller buck just on the other side of the creek bed.
2019-10-05 09.57.54.jpg

Now that I'm a much lighter load, I'm gonna get me some breakfast. This hunting business surely makes me burn up a shitload of calories, especially on these brisk mornings!

I'll be headed back out later this evening at a different setup. Once again, I'll be going in blind cause I haven't been back in that area since mid July.

I'll follow up here later on after that hunt.

Good luck to all you guys that are out there today!

Hope you kill a monster!!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Saturday, October 5, 2019:

This evening I hunted out of my South-Western stand from about 5:15 - 7:30 p.m.
2019-10-05_17.14.55[1].jpg

On the way in, I seen a nice size coyote standing out in the middle of the cut soybean field. I believe he's that same one I seen yesterday morning.

I need to do a little maintenance at this setup. Most of my field edge shooting lanes are fine. I just need to get my pine licking branch hung and clear a few of those wooded shooting lanes.

I ended up seeing two deer in total during this sit.

Both them ended up on the other side of the field, much closer to my South-Eastern stand during the last 10 minutes of legal time. I really couldn't tell if any of them where a buck or not cause it was plenty dark out.

There's still plenty of foliage on the trees yet, which makes it fairly difficult to see'em from within the woods when the sun goes down.

Anyhow,

I'm unsure at the moment whether or not I'll hunt tomorrow. I have to install a dishwasher for my sister-in-law at some point.

So I'm gonna play it by ear. Might try to get out for an evening sit if it's not raining 'TOO' bad.

Other than that, I'll catch up with all of you tomorrow. I'm gonna go grab me some dinner now.

Good night!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Monday, October 7, 2019:

20191007_184318[1].jpg
2019-10-07_20.03.48[1].jpg

This evening I hunted out of my South-Eastern stand from 5:00-7:30 p.m. The conditions were perfect for it.

There's a creek bottom just to my South approximately 20-25 yards and the wooded area on the other side is known for deer bedding.

It's also the area that I mentioned in my previous post where I seen two deer during my Saturday evening hunt pop out into the field.

This evening, which rather funny, at 7:24 p.m., a beautiful 10 point buck popped out right where my South-Western stand is, clear on the opposite side from me, which is where I hunted last Saturday evening.
20191007_192649[1].jpg

I estimate he's a 3-3 1/2 year old with decent mass, nice spread, however his tine lengths aren't quite there yet.

Still, he's a beautiful buck and I hope he makes it a couple more years.

He ended up sticking around until quitting time and got as close as 65 yards of me.

I watched him graze for about 10 minutes altogether before he made his way into the cut soybean field, much further West of me.

Once he finally left the area, I packed up and headed home.

We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
How tall is that set?

Much taller than you my friend :LOL:

Seriouly though, it's probably 18 -20'.

The tree is just off the field on a hill that leads down to the creek bottom. Then on the other side of the creek, it goes back up higher than what I am in the stand.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So the third pic must be looking down into the creek? That’s the one that looks like you’re up 50’!

Yep! That it is. To the creek bottom where there is a little window, it's 35 yards with me standing in the stand. Remember, I'm a former Lineman and I have absolutely no fear of heights, especially attached to the tree with my harness/lifeline.

Here in a couple more weeks, the tree canopy with be gone, creating more windows for me to shoot through. The deer use those creeks as highways all throughout the year.

That third pic is a main deer run right underneath me going to and from the creek. Deer bedding area just on the other side of the creek.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Tuesday, October 8, 2019:

Not a hunting location by any means, but a feeder that I maintain near the house throughout the year. I just finished up replenishing the feeder with 200lbs. of whole corn. Then I cleared all the leafs and debris from the area. Below are a few of my daily regulars including a spotted fawn that make their appearance a few times a day.I get daily snapshots of them and I usually don't get any mature bucks at the feeder, however I do have a few young bucks that visit from time to time. A couple of good looking young bucks that will be great deer in a few more years.
2019-10-08_14.38.15[1].jpg

2019-10-08_14.38.52[1].jpg

HUNT0065.JPG

I try to keep the does around long enough to attract any mature bucks that usually show up later into the season and it seems to work rather well for me.

I don't have any trail cameras out at any of my hunting locations still yet. I'm kinda enjoying not knowing at this point, however I do intend on getting a few of'em up at a couple strategic locations relatively soon.

This evening, I'm planning on hunting at yet another different setup of mine. I haven't been at that location since probably late spring or early summer.
The NE wind is right for it.

You'll be able to read about it later on right here.

For those that'll be getting out later, I wish you the best of luck!

Go get'em!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Tuesday, October 8, 2019:

Okay 'TOO' crew and everyone else,,, I'm gonna kept this fairly short and sweet.

Seen 8-10 deer between 6:55-7:25 p.m.

Half of them were bucks.

Two of them were most definitely big time shooters.

All of them were grouped together out of bow range.

Normally, I would post photos from this setup I hunted out of this evening, however this being a public forum, I'm gonna hold them close to my vest for now.

Even though I didn't arrow anything, I learned an awful lot during this sit.

It was an AWESOME hunt and I truly believe I have very promising season up ahead of me.

Now I'm gonna go grab some grub and I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

Stay tune folks!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Okay,,,

I'll share a few more details about the hunt I had last night only because I had a hell of time sleeping thinking about my approach for today's evening hunt.
------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after I was harassed by this squirrel that was right above me in the same tree @6:50, I grabbed my binos and glassed the field right behind me.

I started off scanning the field edges first and right off the bat, I spotted tall antlers above the CRP.

I stayed focused on that deer, which lead me to see not just one, but a couple others 'TOO'.

They were in a area that I'm all 'TOO' familiar with (in a heavy bedding area that's super thick) and has no trees for any kind of a tree stand setup, however I've had my pop-up ground blind setup there in the past.

I do have another tree stand setup that's within 70 yards of that location, just to the West that I've yet to hunt out of this season.

That's where I'll be sitting this evening.

No question that I seen two shooters that were sparing and occasionally chased some antlerless deer in circles.

They all stayed within that bedding area right up until 7:25 p.m. and then headed North-Northwest.

Both of the bigger bucks acted quite aggressive the entire time I was watching them.

I also watched one them rub on a tree for a minute or 'TOO' as well.

I counted at least eight deer, possibly up to ten in that location and four of them were bucks.

Two of them I wouldn't hesitate in shooting if given an opportunity.

I hope that happens this evening.

We shall see!