Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife 2019/2020 Deer Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Saturday, December 21, 2019 – 'Final Special Archery Hunt @’Deer Creek State Park’ – Part II of II:

When I got back to the park and parked my truck at the end of the horse trail on the South side of section two, right where I normally park, I called the wife and while I was on the phone with her, a large adult Doe was standing 10 yards right behind my truck at noon sharp. I watched her for a few seconds through my drivers-side rear-view mirror while I was telling her that I got a deer right behind me. It was like, ‘Hey, I was just at your stand and you weren’t there!’ type of thing. Both the wife and I got a good laugh out of that.

The deer eventually crossed the road, heading South into section three. I got off the phone with wife shortly thereafter and started to get dressed to head back out.

I got settled back into my tree at right at 12:20 p.m.

25 minutes later, a Mother Doe and her little one stepped out into the utility field from the South woods, directly upwind of me, just SW, and headed straight for me.
20191221_194215.jpg

I watched them cross the stream and I gave them a pass because her little one was ‘TOO’ young and they headed down the main deer path right next to my tree.

About 30 seconds later, three antlerless deer did the same thing, coming from the same area, heading the same direction.
20191221_193546.jpg

This time, it was a Mother Doe, a little young Button and a decent size Doe.

I decided I was going to take the decent size Doe.

As they slowly made their way over the stream and up the hill, with the Doe I was going take in anchor, Mother Doe and the Button were within 15 yards of me. I already had my bow in my hand at the time and dialed in from the previous encounter. So, as the third decent size Doe crossed the creek and stopped at 25 yards facing me perfectly on the uphill, because that was her intended travel route and I already had my bow ready on the left side of the Oak tree limb within the tree I was sitting in, I released and buried my arrow right into her chest while she was standing there facing me perfectly.

She immediately turned back around a ran like lighting straight back to where she came from, over the stream, back up the side of the West hill and into the South woods.

The entire time to the point to where she went into the woods, I watched blood literally spray 2-4’ out of her body. I knew she wouldn’t go ‘TOO’ far.

Mother Doe and the Button also turned back around even thought they’ve already reached the North woods and headed back to where they originally came from, entering back into the South woods right where the shot Doe went.

A few moments later, Mother Doe and little Button came back out of the South woods and literally headed straight to me again. And I mean, straight to me, like right underneath me to me.

The Mother Doe acted like she was on the ‘war path’ or a mission of some sort, possibly to kick some royal ass, looking around intensely as to who just shot her daughter.

(I captured several cellphone photographs that kind of give a brief timeline that you can view below.)
20191221_192849.jpg

20191221_193246.jpg

20191221_193412.jpg

After few moments of Mother Doe and the little Button being underneath me, not knowing where I was, which was right above them, they headed straight into the North woods and eventually out of sight.

I immediately started to pack things up after they left the area.

I climbed down right 1:00 p.m., packed up my ‘Lone Wolf Alpha’ stand, including my huntin stuff, threw them both over my shoulders and grabbed my bow, heading straight for the deer that I just shot.

Along the way, I made a cellphone video clip of my blood tracking for anyone who might be interested in seeing just how devastating that shot was to that deer. Within that video, you’ll get to see my arrow that stuck in the ground upside-down, missing the broad head.

I estimate the recover was roughly 60-70 yards from the point of impact. That’s up and down a single small hill.
20191221_132105.jpg

After I found her, I walked to my truck, changed out of my good huntin clothes and peeled down to a single layer, grabbed my field dressing pack and toboggan sled, then headed back to the dead deer to get her taken care of. By that time, it was 1:25 p.m., the temperature was 44 degrees and getting warmer by the minute.

While I started to dress her out, the first thing I did after I cut her open, was to find my broad head, which I did.

The arrow passed through part of her heart, tore up both lungs and stuck about a ½” into her large liver.
20191221_192748.jpg

That’s some serious deep penetration for going straight through the front of her.

After I got her dressed out, I hauled her back to the truck using my toboggan sled and up into the bed of the truck.

At that time, it was 2:15 p.m., and I immediately called DOW to get my conformation number, then grabbed a bottle of water to get cooled off, smoked a couple of cigarettes and decided to head back out. I still have a Buck tag...

This time, I dressed lightly, just my jacket, hat, thin gloves, my Mucks and a pair of sweatpants.

I took off for the same tree that I shot the deer from.

Once I got there, I cleared debris & leaves away from the base of the tree and sat down on the ground with my bow laying right next to me, ready to kill any decent size Buck at 3:20 p.m.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see any more deer the rest of day.

So, today, I seen approximately 17 antlerless deer with 13 of them within bow range. Not bad for my last hunt at the park.

So, this hunt concludes my ‘Deer Creek State Park Special Archery Hunt’, which I can tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it!

I ended up shooting 3 antlerless deer and only recovered two, but I can tell you that I gave it my best to recover all of them. I also seen a couple of good Bucks over the past two weeks.

I’ll update my ‘Week in Review’ hunt data report of mine in a few days, which I’ll break out the ‘Deer Creek State Park Special Archery Hunt’.

Tomorrow, I’ll be using the good old shotgun near my home looking for a good Buck to harvest.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Sunday, December 22, 2019:
20191222_085654.jpg

Hunted out my 'Northwestern Stand' this morning with a 24 degree temp and virtually no SW wind until 10:00 a.m.

I didn't see nor hear any deer in the area, so, I'm going hiking for the rest of the day.

I have 1,200 acres to my disposal around my home and it's such a beautiful day, the shotgun and I are going make the best of it, being that this is the last day of the year with the boom gun.

I have a few creek valleys, many ridges and a couple of large hills to cover, plus a few AG fields.

We'll see if I can drum up a decent buck today.

I appreciate the nice comments @brock ratcliff & @Joel .

I said that I'd do my best to document my entire deer season.

So, I hope many others that have been paying attention 'TOO' have enjoyed my sharing.

I can tell you that I'm thoroughly enjoying my time being afield even though I haven't knocked down a good buck yet.

There are only so many years left for me to do this kind of stuff, so I'm trying to take advantage of it while I still can, being healthy in all.

'Life is short', some might say, so I'm going to make the best of it every chance that I can.

Today just so happens to be one of those days...

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 'The Update':

Well, I'm finally at my spot for the rest of the day with a 48 degree temp and virtually no wind from the South.

(My current view from the ground on the shadow side of a heavy producer of acorns looking down the massive hill to the North.)
20191222_143415.jpg

(My beloved mighty Oak Tree I'm rested up against.)
20191222_143327.jpg

(What's on the backside of my tree, to the South, SW & East that is thick cover that I expect deer to come from.)
20191222_143246.jpg

I haven't hunted this hill at all this season and this will be the first time.

I'm approximately 3 miles or more from my home, so, I'm in deep within the property.

When I left my workshop earlier to start my hike, I walked SE along our main creek for approximatey a mile in a half, then turned South towards the big massive hill.

(Some pictures taken along the way to where I'm currently set up at.)
20191222_143011.jpg

20191222_143133.jpg

(Unfortunately, the poachers in my next of the woods are live & well.)
20191222_142802.jpg

‐--------------------------------------------
My wife called me when I was about to make my climb up the big hill just before 1:00 p.m., saying that she made some venison chilly for dinner.
I asked her to pick me up now cause I was about out of gas anyways and I was pretty thirsty 'TOO', which she did.
I meet her at the road, just before the big hill, she drove me home and served me a big bowl w/ crackers of that awesome venison chilly, which I wolfed in.
Then I had her drop me back off where she picked me up at at 2:00 p.m., so I could continue my hunt for the rest of the day.

Now I'm trying to stay awake sitting up against this big Oak Tree feeling like life is nearly perfect, I just need a good buck to walk out in front of me and it would be absolutey perfect, with no questions asked!

Anyhow,,,

You can expect a follow up once I make it back home, later this evening, whether or not I shot anything.

Oh, one more thing.

The wife told me that she heard a lot shots yesterday behind the house, which leads me to believe that hunters drove the property yesterday and explains why I've yet to see a deer today.

Last edited:
Reactions: brock ratcliff

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 'Bonus Gun Hunt'

Well, I didn't see a single live deer all day today, which isn't surprising if the property had a deer drive performed yesterday while I was bow hunting 'Deer Creek'.

Regardless, I had fun none the less!

I always enjoy doing a 'Still Hunt', especially with a shotgun in my hands.

I packed very lightly for my hike today. Just the shotgun and a few extra shells, and my minor light as well.

Since I was well within the woods and clear on top of that massive hill, I decided to work my way back down about 5 minutes before 5:00.

Along the way and not very far from where I sat for nearly an hour in half, I found a nice buck tree rub and deer path right next to it.
20191222_163729.jpg

And a few more pictures of the ridges and ravines on my way down.

20191222_182128.jpg

For the last few minutes of legal time, I sat on an abandon electrical high-line utility right-a-way.

20191222_182201.jpg

There was a hunting blind setup that you can see in the right photo, right near the stream that comes down off the hill. Nobody was hunting in it today.

Since I didn't see any deer near my home at all today, I'm going to check into hunting a few of the old properties that I haven't hunted in nearly 10 years.

One of those properties is where I shot my largest buck with my compound bow, a 175" 17pt.

Each one of those properties have always produced some nice bucks over the years.

IDK if anyone else has been hunting those properties, but I'll find out soon enough. I've always had exclusive permission to hunt them in the past.

Until then, I want to wish everyone 'A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS', because I doubt I'll be hunting over the next few days, unless I get permission to hunt one of those old properties that I used to hunt.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Monday, December 23, 2019 - 'I'm in like flint':

Fairly good news!

Today, I went to three of the old properties that I used to hunt roughly 10 years ago and I'm happy to report, I have permission to hunt two of the three.

The best property that I killed my largest buck on sold and the new owner has a 30 year old son that hunts it exclusively. He's a luck man because that place is a good area with plenty of good deer. So, I'm out for that place.

The second best property has a couple of others that bow hunt it, however only with permission for the day they wish to hunt. The owner only wants one hunter at a time on their property, which I'll have the whole place to myself on 'Christmas Day'.

Our family celebrates Christmas on 'Christmas Eve', so, I'll be hunting the next day, which is something I'm very much looking forward 'TOO'. It's a beautiful piece of land with large hills, steep ridges and a creek bottom. I've seen some awesome bucks cruise through that property the years I used to hunt it. Some of my best hunts was on that property.

The third property, the owner told me that he hasn't seen nearly the number of deer that he used to see when I hunted it almost a decade ago. He said that I can hunt his place any time, which he's a farmer that runs his 'Fruit Nursery Business' off of.

So, I'm pretty stoked about getting back into some of my old stomping grounds chasing after a good buck.

Two out of three ain't bad!

I'm still not giving up on the properties near my home either. I believe that the massive hill will get active once again in the middle of January, so I'm not ruling that area out yet.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Keep the faith fellas and I appreciate all the support 'TOO'!

I'm getting ready to head out for my first coyote hunt this season.

Just one setup for tonight, which will be overlooking those deer carcasses within an open field just off the creek bed that I discovered during my hike yesterday. I posted photos of them within this journal.

I'll have a nice crosswind where I'll be set up just within the brush approximately 150 to 200 yards away to the West of those dead deer.

I'll start off with some hand calling if they're not already there yet.

I've been hearing them carrying on the past few nights just after midnight, so I'm gonna give it whirl as soon as my batteries are good & charged.
20191223_221840.jpg

I'll report back if I'm successful.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 'FIRST ANNUAL CHRISTMAS BOW HUNT':

First off,,,

I truly appreciate all the positive support & feedback regarding the sharing of my deer season experiences with all of you, right here within this journal.

So, thank you!

Now that my sons are grown men and moved off on thier own and we typically celebrate our xmas on xmas eve, I'm going to, from this day forward, make 'Christmas Day' my 'Annual Xmas Arechery Hunt' until I can't do it any more.

It'll be my little way to give thanks for all of the life blessings that I recieve each year.

I've always felt much closer to 'God' each time I was out hunting, especially on weather days like today.

I thought I'd share that little tidbit with you all.

Okay,,, moving on...

I'm currently settled in at a property I haven't hunted in nearly a decade looking for a good buck.
I got here a little bit after noon and I belive I found a good spot.
20191225_132002.jpg

20191225_130346.jpg

I'm way up in a big Oak Tree along one of the ravines, to my West/my left and a large pacth of very mature big Norway Pine Trees just to the East/my right.
The creek bottom is to the North, way down at the bottom of the holler, and a cut soybean field to the South where the revine begins/ends within the finger that goes out into that field.

It's quite hilly on this property, but extremely beautiful and I'm as comfortable as one could possibly be in late December outdoors.

The current temperature is 55-degrees with a very mild South wind.

The following photo collage are the views from within my stand.
20191225_132136.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 'FIRST ANNUAL CHRISTMAS BOW HUNT' - The Follow Up:
20191225_170708.jpg

(Doe in the middle of photograph.)

Man,,, it sure is nice to be back in one of my old honey-holes once again. I had a good hunt even though I didn't shoot anything.

I didn't see my first deer until a couple of minutes before 5:00 p.m., which was a little Doe that came up from the creek bottom to the North, over the top of the massive hill and walked right by me.

She walked right by me at 20-25 yards, just to the East/my right. I could've easily made a nice broadside shot on her, but I didn't.

She continued her casual travel straight into the thick pines to the East and out of sight.

About minute after that, I see two more antlerless deer do the same thing, coming from the same area, but they were further East of me, just out of bow range. They 'TOO' went into the thick pines just to the East and out of sight.

10-15 minutes after that, I see a train of deer, one antlerless deer after another, make thier way out of the thick pines and into the cut soybean field right behind me to the South, approximately 75-100 away.

I pretty much stopped counting after seeing a dozen.

They all feed real hard out of that field until I couldn't see them anymore due to the darkness.

I packed everything up right after I put my binoculars back into my pack from watching all those deer.

I climbed down quietly, knowing that those deer were close.

Once on the ground, I packed up my 'Lone Wolf Alpha' stand w/ 5-LW sticks, attached my pack to the stand, threw them both over my shoulders, strapped up, grabbed my bow and headed straight away from those deer towards the truck.

Down through one revine and back up a very steep hill.

Got to the truck without getting blowed at nor bumping any deer that I know of, changed out my huntin clothes, threw the stand into the bed of the truck and took off headed for Chillicothe to have dinner with the wife and her family.

Within the first couple of miles going down the road leaving, I nearly hit a small buck that tried to cross the road right out in front of me.

I'd say, I seen approximately 17 antlerless deer this evening and all of them were within 100 yards of me. I could've easily shot one, but it didn't have any antlers.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get back out there for another evening hunt.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 'Honey Hole':

Back at the same property I hunted yesterday for my second evening hunt.

I got here a little after 1:00 p.m. and changed into my huntin getup, threw on my 'Lone Wolf Alpha' stand w/ a small huntin pack, grabbed the bow and took off for the backside of the cut soybean field where I saw that train of a dozen deer pile out of the thick mature pine tree patch that's 40 yards to the East, straight out in front me today.

I found an okay tree that will get me out into the cup/corner of the field. Not very many good tree options near the field that will get me there, but this young Maple seems to work.
20191226_141120.jpg

It's right where those deer last night fed heavily and below you can checkout my view plus the few shooting lanes that I have from within the stand. It should workout okay...

20191226_142939.jpg

I'm hoping that a good buck makes his way out into the field as well tonight and join the ladies.

Right now, I'm trying to cool off in this 61 degree temperature with a more breezy South wind condition this afternoon.
20191226_142636.jpg

I pretty much expect the same kind of deer action tonight during prime-time, the last half hour of legal time.

We shall see here shortly...

P.S.

I failed to mention that there's a buck tree rub 20 yards to the South/my right, right near the edge of the cut soybean field.

Last edited: