Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wind direction questions...

I've heard the statement, "fishing is the least, from the east and best from the west", for many years. It's a reference to wind direction and the fish biting. Being a bowhunter, I've definately noticed the wind direction having an impact on how much the critters move or don't move. There's definately less movement on an east wind day.

However, it's been a rare day when I've got shut out of catching fish, irreguardless of the wind direction.

Have you noticed catching less fish on a day of an east wind?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yes it's generally true because an east wind is bringing in a weather front that lowers the barometric pressure, resulting in less feeding and movement during that period. I have noticed it for sure, but that doesn't mean you still can't shoot a buck or catch a walleye.....it might be tougher but you still have to get out and try.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Fishing on the Western Basin of Erie for many years now I can tell you that on most east wind days you'll prbly get blown off the lake, if you even try to get out...so I agree that fishing is the least from the east.

I found the original statement about the winds:

Wind from the NORTH don't go forth.
Wind from the EAST fish bite the least.
Wind from the WEST fishing is best.
Wind from the SOUTH blows bait in their mouth.

Seems to ring true in Ohio.
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Buckmaster

Portage
I found the original statement about the winds:

Wind from the NORTH don't go forth.
Wind from the EAST fish bite the least.
Wind from the WEST fishing is best.
Wind from the SOUTH blows bait in their mouth.

Seems to ring true in Ohio.
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

That rings true in my world.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yep I've heard those sayings as well 57, and I will fish by them TOO. When Crappie/Saugeyes turn on this Fall, you won't see me on the lake with a North or East wind, unless I'm just dieing to get outside!