Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Work Boot Recommendations

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
About a month ago I picked up another pair of boots. I work in an office that doesn't require boots but I'm hard on shoes. My last pair was Cat and they lasted over two years. I prefer non lace up boots. I put these Dr. Martens on and they've been great. They broke in quick, aren't too heavy for steel toe, and its like walking on air even without insoles. Oil, fat, acid, petrol, and alkali resistant. If you're in the market for new boots check em out. Little pricy at 130 but well worth it. They run about a 1.5 bigger. I wear a 10-10.5 and these are 12s.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362849797.060610.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362849820.572384.jpg

Reactions: at1010

Huckleberry Finn

My work boots are a pair of Carhartts that I believe I ordered from Sportsmen. I really like them and they have worn really well. I used to be a wolverine fan, but then they changed up a lot of their boots.

I have a pair of lace-less steel toes from work and don't really like them. They are a little too heavy with the steel toe. But, I absolutely cannot drive my car in them, just can't feel the clutch at all and they clomp all over the pedals. So, I normally keep those in the car if I'm going to be changing shoes somewhere.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never tried the non lace up boots, always thought once they'd get broke in you couldn't control the looseness of them... Do you ever have any issues with that?

I've always wore lace up boots and the majority have been combat style lol...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I like the slip on boots as well. I picked up a pair of Ariats a few months ago and like them so far. Normally the soles would be about gone from my boots by now, but these are still good as new.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bought my first pair of slip on work boots last weekend. I am loving them. Tried on probably a dozen pair at the Rocky Outlet. Really wanted a pair of western style slip ons but just didn't find one that was comfy enough.

I ended up with Rocky boots. Waterproof. Non Insulated. A bit rich on the wallet but I am hard on boots and need them to last. I also wear them for hours on end and need them to be comfortable. I believe they were $180 with 25% off so $135 plus tax.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

This is after about 6 months. As you can tell, in my line of work, boots take a beating. These have held up pretty well. About $130.

always thought once they'd get broke in you couldn't control the looseness of them..

never had a problem with that. I've worn slip ons for years because I weld. Slag has a tendency to eat up shoelaces, and get in around the tongue of the boot. once they break in they usually fit really well.

jeremy44230

Medina County
My work boots:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362860262.329066.jpg

Redwings - steel toe. About 1 1/2 old. I wear them 5-6 days per week.

My Christmas present... My nice boots:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362860333.898123.jpg

Redwings Heritage collection. Pricey but will last a long time.

I became a Redwing only guy about 5-6 years ago. Can't see wearing anything else.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Redwings Heritage collection. Pricey but will last a long time.

I became a Redwing only guy about 5-6 years ago. Can't see wearing anything else.

That is about when I quit wearing them. They weren't lasting me more than 6-12mo. I dropped back from $175-200 boots into the $125-150 range because they weren't lasting. If they are equally comfortable, and last the same amount of time, might as well save some bucks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Even waiting for her outside the American Eagle dressing room they look good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362862926.278569.jpg

Derek j

Knox Co.
I've been buying thorogoods for the past 3-4 years, and love the way they feel and wear. With the coolant and oil in a machine shop, boots don't last. I can usually get about a year out of the thorogoods. I absolutely hate red wings and wolverines....they kill my feet.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1362869555149.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362869567890.jpgAmerican Eagle? Sorry Bubba but you are slipping. Lmao

How about: even outside grilling some burgers these Rocky's feel good.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wear Double H slip one and have a pair of Rocky lace ups for my true work boot. All told, I have 5-6 different pairs of boots depending on what I'm doing. Can't have TOO many pairs of boots!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wear Double H slip one and have a pair of Rocky lace ups for my true work boot. All told, I have 5-6 different pairs of boots depending on what I'm doing. Can't have TOO many pairs of boots!

Now who is being Larry? "Just one more pair of boots." lmao

You are right though. No such thing as TOO many boots. Lace up Ropers are my dress boots along with some actual cowboy boots. Then there are the Rocky Ironclad workboots I wear. Just added the Rocky slip on boots. I bought a pair of Redwing seconds last year to give them another try and they just aren't cutting it. $100 for them though so I will use them to rotate in/out of boots to allow them to dry out when sweaty or in the snow.

I have at least 6 pairs of boots, one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of "casual" dress shoes, and one pair of "fancy" dress shoes for the once every 2 years I wear my suit. haha

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Had them all. Rocky's are my go to now. Both of these pairs have been through the ringer.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362874431001.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362874431001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 170

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Also Doc Martins are very comfortable. I have a pair and like them a lot. Wouldn't be my first choice for work as I like a bit stiffer/rugged boot for that.