Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

worst hotel/motel

Left field

Reading some threads got me thinking a lot of us travel and stay in hotels , I stay in a hotel more than my house, what’s the worst hotel ? Let’s here some stories, The worst one I stayed at the longest was Wheeling Inn ,also known as Knights Inn ,several guys got bit by bed bugs ,they got moved to a new hotel ,hollers would be crying , on the steps in the morning or arguing with their pimp/John , the owners son would be smoking pot at the front lobby , black mold mystery stains in rooms , it was a nice motel back in the day , but it has passed 😂 another was In Memphis me and roommate slept with clothes on on top of bed we didn’t use the shower ,red stain in the tub

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Stayed at a roadway once in Dayton area. I'll never do that again. They have a small cook top in the rooms and you had the joy of smelling whatever shit everyone on your floor was cooking. Then you got the lovely view of the hookah bar on the other corner.

Stayed in a little shit box just outside Ft Jackson once. Single pain windows and a cranked ac left that place smelling like a mold fest. Mold all along the window sill spots here and there all over the room. Luckily it was just a quick couple hour nap on our way to Florida. Slept in our clothes and on top of the blanket lol.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I interned in DC in college in the early 90's, lived with my Aunt in Fredricksburg. My then girlfriend now wife came to visit with her mom and brother, my mother in law told me to find the cheapest place. I did what I was told, this old motel had a gravel parking lot, stains on the floor and the old RCA tv was chained to the wall. This place was rough.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Never stayed at one that was horrible but as long as it has a bed, shitter and shower, that’s all I need. Every time I arrive I will go through the room looking under the mattress and behind mirrors and pics looking for bedbugs. Thankfully I’ve never found any. I’ve heard horror stories and do not want to bring those critters home. I’ve found drugs several times, broken locks on doors and windows, once found a beetle in the coffee dispenser…these were all at a chain hotel..not at a no name place. Seen homeless people sleeping in the entrance way to get out of the cold weather while I was out in ohio hunting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Knights Inn in Mound City, Missouri, the snow goose capital of the world. They clearly put snow goose hunters in the same rooms over and over and over, and it shows. I ended up sleeping in my truck due to snoring from the other 3 guys, but I'd have been more comfortable doing that anyways due to the filth in the room.

LaQuinta Inn somewhere in Kentucky. We were on our way to Florida and stopped for the night. Room smelled of cigarette smoke but we were tired. Got settled in bed and turned out the lights. Felt something crawling on me and turned the light on and a colony of ants were crawling up the chair next to the bed. Turned the rest of the lights on and they were everywhere. No idea how we didn't see them when we first got into the room.

Second one was Atlanta Georgia. We went down to pack my sister's home up to move her up to Ohio because of medical reasons. Her house she was renting was so full of cat hair we could not breathe, not to mention we had most of all the beds loaded in the truck by the second night so we opted for rooms for the last night. We get there, my cousin leading the way because this place was cheaper than the Comfort across the street and as we drive around the back to get to the room there go 3 cop cars. People were hanging out on the balconies and it looked like something from Live PD as they tackled a guy and were going up to raid a room. We decide to go further down to where our room was and check it out, it's for sleeping right? Walk in and start looking around, stains on the bed spread and damn, there go the cockroaches..... Fuck this, we headed over across the street and for $50 more we slept well.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Motel 6 on us 1 just outside of stock island in the Florida keys. Beautiful scenery all over the place that surrounds you, but when you have three or four different hookers pull up and ask if they can suck you off for five or ten dollars you know you’re in the wrong place… or maybe for some of you the right place lol place was a sess pool back in 2016

• Wow
Reactions: Left field

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Motel 6 on us 1 just outside of stock island in the Florida keys. Beautiful scenery all over the place that surrounds you, but when you have three or four different hookers pull up and ask if they can suck you off for five or ten dollars you know you’re in the wrong place… or maybe for some of you the right place lol place was a sess pool back in 2016

Oh man that sounds absolutely horrible. Would that be on Shorline rd by chance.. Asking for a friend. :ROFLMAO:

The best US hotel for the money is Best Western. They have a good contental breakfast, clean rooms and they're all pretty consistant. A good continental breakfast can save you breakfast and lunch expenses. Anything nicer than a Best Western is a waste of money in my eyes.
However, if you must stay at a higher end US chain I would generally put Marriott brands over Hilton brands.

Worst hotels are inns in the uk. It's cool and all that your hotel has been around for 250 years and some duke stayed there in 1892. However, they are rarely updated and there are often lots of broken things. Also most of them are have dirty tubs, broken fixtures, and stained carpets on top of being expensive.

Air force inns/Navy gateway inns are also up there on the worst list. Some of them are still nice. Whatever mattress the navy gateway inns purchase is the most comfortable bed i have slept on believe it or not.
They used to be reasonal when the rate was $35-55 a night and used to be cheap option if you were active duty or retiree traveling. Now that they are all privately managed and now that the goverment has stopped subsidizing operation costs they are not worth the the time. No one should pay $85-150 to say in a converted dorm room often without a/c.
The worst hotel I have checked into was the Eglin AFB Inn. It was completely uninhabitable; green and black mold everywhere, and it was a VIP room.

Then there are the super tier hotels. No one matches the middle east when it comes to ementites, luxury, and atmosphere. They usually have an out of this world buffet. I don't really know why you would go to the middle east on vacation unless it was Isreal or Jordan but there you go.

Last edited:

Left field

they have the gift that keeps on giving 😂

Left field

The best US hotel for the money is Best Western. They have a good contental breakfast, clean rooms and they're all pretty consistant. A good continental breakfast can save you breakfast and lunch expenses. Anything nicer than a Best Western is a waste of money in my eyes.
However, if you must stay at a higher end US chain I would generally put Marriott brands over Hilton brands.

Worst hotels are inns in the uk. It's cool and all that your hotel has been around for 250 years and some duke stayed there in 1892. However, they are rarely updated and there are often lots of broken things. Also most of them are have dirty tubs, broken fixtures, and stained carpets on top of being expensive.

Air force inns/Navy gateway inns are also up there on the worst list. Some of them are still nice. Whatever mattress the navy gateway inns purchase is the most comfortable bed i have slept on believe it or not.
They used to be reasonal when the rate was $35-55 a night and used to be cheap option if you were active duty or retiree traveling. Now that they are all privately managed and now that the goverment has stopped subsidizing operation costs they are not worth the the time. No one should pay $85-150 to say in a converted dorm room often without a/c.
The worst hotel I have checked into was the Eglin AFB Inn. It was completely uninhabitable; green and black mold everywhere, and it was a VIP room.

Then there are the super tier hotels. No one matches the middle east when it comes to ementites, luxury, and atmosphere. They usually have an out of this world buffet. I don't really know why you would go to the middle east on vacation unless it was Isreal or Jordan but there you go.
Dubai fuckin rocks

Reactions: Archertl

Johnny44

Jolly Inn, Valdosta, GA. Had to let the water run until it ran clear. Pros, Johns, Drugs, etc. Never took my shoes off and had shower sandals. No fitted sheets. Had to return the TV remote upon check out. I was with 3 other guys, 2 of which brought their wives. Me and the other guy were single so we didn't have to deal with that side of it.
Another one, can't remember the name, in St. Augustine. Looked nice enough. Get in, settle down, kick my shoes off. My feet turned black. Had my wife with me. Offered to cancel the room and go to the Hilton down the road. I didn't care how much it cost. I still haven't heard the end of that. It's been 13 years.

• Haha
Reactions: "J"