Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

YETI COOLERS DROPS THE NRA...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Why did the NRA Foundation wait multiple weeks to make a statement on this?

The NRA Foundation can still buy YETI products at a discount, just like conservation groups can. It’s convenient they didn’t mention that.

YETI is now in a no win situation because of this situation. A situation the NRA Foundation started with a release that isn’t even factual. Do you guys understand that? The NRA Foundation has lied to you and divided the hunting community over something so stupid.

Perception is reality, and fact don’t matter. It’s too bad really.

Carry on. If additional information comes out I’ll pass it along.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Why did the NRA Foundation wait multiple weeks to make a statement on this?

The NRA Foundation can still buy YETI products at a discount, just like conservation groups can. It’s convenient they didn’t mention that.

YETI is now in a no win situation because of this situation. A situation the NRA Foundation started with a release that isn’t even factual. Do you guys understand that? The NRA Foundation has lied to you and divided the hunting community over something so stupid.

Perception is reality, and fact don’t matter. It’s too bad really.

Carry on. If additional information comes out I’ll pass it along.

Which is precisely my point. The marketing and brand development team at Yeti are not idiots. I mean come on they get people to buy $300+ dollar coolers and $150 buckets so they must be pretty damn good at selling an image. On the other hand they also fully understand things that can damage their image. Dropping the NRA from ANY program right now is public suicide. Regardless of the reason the odds are very high they will end up on the wrong end of the stick. The smart people in their brand development team knows this. So the question becomes, why? What would ever make Yeti even take the chance. What was so worth it that they would risk it. A simple realignment of a promotional discount program? A revamping of a marketing program? Hardly worth the risk. No, it was much bigger than something so simple as that. They wanted away from the NRA before thry got caught up in the attacks the left is waging against associates of the NRA. They tried to distance themselves quietly and squeak it by thinking they could build in some excuses and be ok. That is the ONLY reason worth even risking it for. Yetti saw two options, we can maintain our support and the left will eventually blow up on us, or we can try to quietly slip out and try to spin it. One way we may be able to get out gracefully. What they didn't account for was the NRA busting them out. The NRA has zero benefit in bringing this to members attention besides letting it be known. The NRA doesn't need Yeti, its members don't require cooler discounts to join or renew membership any more than they need or require car, hotel, or flight discounts. Yeti is insignificant to the NRA. The only benefit the NRA had was telling its members that YETI was trying to quietly cut ties

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I own 4 yeti products and never bought one of them because of their affiliation with the NRA or any other organization. I also don't continue to support the NRA just to keep discounts on certain products. So for me, I have no reason to care one way or another about this particular chain of events.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I own 4 yeti products and never bought one of them because of their affiliation with the NRA or any other organization. I also don't continue to support the NRA just to keep discounts on certain products. So for me, I have no reason to care one way or another about this particular chain of events.

I think the problem comes in when a company claims they support the second amendment and gun owners yet in the same breath they cut ties with the flagship organisation fighting to preserve those rights. Delta, Dicks, Walmart, Enterprise, all claimed in their PR releases that they support the second amendment, sportsmen, and the rights of gun owners; while in the same breath they cut ties with the NRA, implemented restrictuve internal policy, or even called for the government to ban certain firearms. It's not enough to just claim it, actions speak louder than words and its the actions that make people think about just who they're supporting with their purchases.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Talk about capitalizing [emoji23]

Fletch

Supporting Member
Chad, I saw that yesterday... Taking advantage of the situation, but on the other hand not afraid to show that they support the 2nd amendment... Perhaps if Yeti wanted to really clear the air and show they did not throw the NRA under the bus they could offer up something similar for the month of May. Time for Yeti to step up to the plate...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeti's response has been to remind folks to find the facts and refer to the NRA as a bully. Real shit show for both sides at this point and one that could have been avoided IMO. I see them both as culpable in the events that have transpired this week.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeti's response has been to remind folks to find the facts and refer to the NRA as a bully. Real shit show for both sides at this point and one that could have been avoided IMO. I see them both as culpable in the events that have transpired this week.

The only fact that Yeti has proven so far with action is that they do not support the NRA. If this was truly a misunderstanding then a company like Yeti would release a statement saying we regret that our actions were misunderstood by the NRA and we are working with them to design a program for it's members. If this was a simple oversight by Yeti that resulted in a huge backlash they would looking to correct it immediately instead of going after the NRA for being liars and bullies. You know as well as I do that when the NRA found out about their intentions they reached out privatly to yeti at first. There is no way in the world yeti did not see this coming well before the NRA put out a statement. Yeti is in damage control mode and the way they are handling this tells me all I need to know about their original intent.

Here is where it gets really sticky for Yeti. A lot of the same people who believe in the NRA are the same people who belong to Sportsman's organizations and watch hunting and fishing shows on TV. You can bet some of these groups are having conversations around "do we really want to be associated with Yeti right now" Regardless of their original intent the court of public opinion is not happy and perception is everything.

Reactions: Mike

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Some more back story from the NRA.

"YETI severed ties with the NRA and is now engaging in damage control after a backlash from many of its customers, "In early March, YETI refused to place a previously negotiated order from (the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action), citing 'recent events' as the reason - a clear reference to the tragedy in Parkland, Florida.YETI then delivered notice to the NRA Foundation that it was terminating a 7-year agreement and demanded that the NRA remove the YETI name and logo from all NRA digital assets, as well as refrain from using any YETI trademarks in future print material. While YETI is trying to spin the story otherwise, those are the facts."

Fletch

Supporting Member
And the plot thickens... Sounds like YETI has some explaining to do... Any reason the short video was removed from the beginning of this thread... Went back to watch it and it was gone.... I'm sure neither Jesse or Joe removed it... Perhaps Yeti supporters are back tracking their efforts....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I can’t see what the NRA gains by fabricating a such negative story about a long time corporate partner. If the NRA is lying then Yeti has a huge defamation case against the NRA. I expect to hear shortly if Yeti also has changed it’s policy towards SCI.

But set that all aside, it’s a different world with a lot less tolerance. It’s too easy for a group or business really piss off a big segment of their customer base by who they associate with or don’t associate with. NFL, TV shows, YouTube videos, politicians, entertainers,

Fletch

Supporting Member
Don't know if you guys remember, but back in I believe 2013 Reed Exhibitions pull all AR type guns from The Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg, Pa... Now this show is freaking HUGE.... Takes 2 days to walk it.... Buses have to bring people from parking areas miles away... Well vendors stood together and started dropping out... In the end the show was canceled due to lack of participation... Again HUGE... Do you know how much money the city of Harrisburg lost.... Hotels,restaurants, everyone.... Reed does not run the show anymore...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't know if you guys remember, but back in I believe 2013 Reed Exhibitions pull all AR type guns from The Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg, Pa... Now this show is freaking HUGE.... Takes 2 days to walk it.... Buses have to bring people from parking areas miles away... Well vendors stood together and started dropping out... In the end the show was canceled due to lack of participation... Again HUGE... Do you know how much money the city of Harrisburg lost.... Hotels,restaurants, everyone.... Reed does not run the show anymore...

I went 3-4 years in a row until that happened. You couldn't get a hotel anywhere near Harrisburg if you didn't book a year in advance. Even 2 days of walking could leave things left unseen. It was crazy big.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
I went 3-4 years in a row until that happened. You couldn't get a hotel anywhere near Harrisburg if you didn't book a year in advance. Even 2 days of walking could leave things left unseen. It was crazy big.

So you know the monetary hurt that was put on Harrisburg just because Reed sucked up to the anti's.... Plus the vendors felt the pinch... Yup even 2 days left things unseen... Would be a great TOO get-together for the week-end...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We used to stay in Middlesex and they would have a hunting and fishing swap meet in the hotel. Get there, check-in, grab some beers and wonder the hotel going into all the rooms with open doors. Lots of great antique stuff there and several good deals to be had on older guns and rods/reels.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
LOL.... I can see Giles now wondering around the halls drinking a Bud Lite... Chad would have people looking where the buck is that's grunting... J... well let's just say he'd be hanging out with Tiffany...