Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

YOUTH TURKEY SEASON (April 13th and 14th)

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
image.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is K and I's setup for next weekend. We're smack in the middle of the farm, which makes the sit and wait game a little more viable. Access is easy and visibility is good for the dekes. I've seen birds roost within pitching range of here dozens of times and with the current state of the foliage, our dekes will be easy to spot. The most likely approach will be head on, making for a perfect shot. Ideally, I want her to aim at the beard on a frontal shot.

Looking straight out the shooting hole.

20190407_084036.jpg

Looking down the "Big Bottom" towards where I killed my first bird.

20190407_083445.jpg

Looking the other way down the holler towards where the birds I located this AM pitched.

20190407_083451.jpg

Not an expert by any means with archery and turkeys, but we waited on a broadside shot so that you could hopefully take out at least 1 wing if not both. Good thing with turkeys is that they tend to give you different shot angles all the time. I would hesitate that much on a frontal or rear shot either if that is what is presented though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Me kneeling, her running the show on the Field Pod. We tied in a "shootout". She's ready for turkey and made 3 straight 8-ring shots on a deer, so she's on her way to being ready for September!

She was most comfortable with centering the stock in her chest and shooting with both eyes open. As long as she's comfortable and executes, form matters not with this setup.

20190408_171828.jpg

lung buster

hocking county
I have been out the last 5 mornings...Birds gobbled the best Sunday...heard 10-12... heard zero yesterday and a couple far away today..ill be out every am this week and hope to get drew in position to kill Saturday. Addy has both volleyball and softball all weekend and wont get to hunt...bummer.