Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Yurp! IKS

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Thanks everyone, still pretty fired up. Started to get him cut up this evening, head is going to the taxi tomorrow.

@Chancegriffis I am shooting 60# with a 29.5" draw, 300 Easton Axis 4mm, 50 grain outsert, 125 grain broadhead. I made the switch to the G5 T2 broadheads, despite me being a pretty committed fixed head guy forever. He was standing at approx. 20-25 yards broadside, and my arrow entered perfectly behind the shoulder (seen in pics) and exited just in front of his opposite side rear leg. Based on the entrance and exit angle, it would've been tough to pop both lungs, but both were completely destroyed. The broadhead didn't hit any ribs on the entrance, and there was no obvious deflection i could see on the opposite side of his rib cage. Once i get all the meat off tomorrow, I'm hoping to have a slightly better idea of how/ why that happened. I've been told that 2-blade mechanicals are kinda known to deflect, but I'm not entirely sure wtf happened yet lol

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Thanks everyone, still pretty fired up. Started to get him cut up this evening, head is going to the taxi tomorrow.

@Chancegriffis I am shooting 60# with a 29.5" draw, 300 Easton Axis 4mm, 50 grain outsert, 125 grain broadhead. I made the switch to the G5 T2 broadheads, despite me being a pretty committed fixed head guy forever. He was standing at approx. 20-25 yards broadside, and my arrow entered perfectly behind the shoulder (seen in pics) and exited just in front of his opposite side rear leg. Based on the entrance and exit angle, it would've been tough to pop both lungs, but both were completely destroyed. The broadhead didn't hit any ribs on the entrance, and there was no obvious deflection i could see on the opposite side of his rib cage. Once i get all the meat off tomorrow, I'm hoping to have a slightly better idea of how/ why that happened. I've been told that 2-blade mechanicals are kinda known to deflect, but I'm not entirely sure wtf happened yet lol
I have always shot mechanicals. I have had some very off putting rib defections and bone deflections for that matter. But rages have always been my broadhead. Weird you had a deflection not with none unless he was moving??? Lmk what you find out! I’m quite curious. My las big bow buck kill was “Oak”. Some may remember. First time I’d ever had a mechanical cut through bone, (4th rib back) on a hard quarter away and had the broadhead fly true after cutting through rib. Exited LS in front of shoulder. Not a full pass through but broadhead was sticking an inch outside of skin and fur

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: TinyTucky

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Very cool story, glad you went with your gut feeling and switched up. And that deer is a definite trophy prize, very cool character and when paired with the story is most impressive! Well done sir.

And I'll bet he tastes good. 👍