Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Zero Turns.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Kawasaki motors are the better of the two in overall performance and durability.

Former lawncare business owner and operator here.

I always sought out the commercial mowers with the higher horsepower Kawasaki motors when ever purchasing, however in a pinch as my company was wildly expanding, I ended up buying a couple of new commercial mowers with the Kohler motors. I can tell you that the mowers with V-twin Kawasaki motors always out performed and out lasted the Kohlers, especially when dealing with taller, thicker, wet grass.

Most of the clients that I had, on average exceeded more than 2 acres. My employees always preferred operating the Kawasaki mowers over the Kohlers, even though all the mowers were of the same brand/manufacturer of commercial mowers and the Kohlers mowers were much newer than the Kawasakis.

Today, I run a commercial 60" mower that I purchased new about five years ago. The mower currently has 653 hours on it. I mow roughly 6 in half acres a week during the growing season. It has the Kawasaki V-twin motor in it and I never have had any problems with it whatsoever, that includes all the others that I've owned as a lawncare business owner and operator.

With all that said, since 2007, Briggs & Stratton, Kawasaki and Kohler are the only mower motors I've owned and operated. I sold my lawncare business, including all of my equipment back in 2015; 6/60" deck mowers and a few of the smaller walk behind mowers.

Last edited:

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Well today was the last day for military discount, my son being in the national guard is paying off, so bit the bullet and got a new Ferris ISX800 with the Kawasaki FT730V.
3D4F9E70-AFF5-4B51-A5B9-9B9C347E01F2.jpeg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Super @Clay Showalter !

Like the independent frontend suspension, that's real nice, and your motor displacement is bigger than mine, which means you shouldn't have any problems throwing grass clear out your deck chute a good long ways no matter how wet your grass is. Nice to see you took advantage of the discount as well, good for you! Good luck with her, she's a real beauty for sure and I'm sure it'll do a great job on the yard!

Mine runs great considering all the challenges of mowing my place. The company I bought mine from has been out of business for awhile, however I still can get parts for her out of Texas if I ever need any someday.
20220531_185429.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't seen anything but Kohler or Kawasaki in years. Briggs and Stratton on home owner versions. Briefly in the early 2000's there were some Generac engines on select Dixie Chopper models.

I've had one Kaw. Bought it last year because it was my only available option. I'm a big fan of the Kohler efi models. Nothing against the Kawi's. Just stayed with what worked.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kawasaki has more torque and tighter tolerances. Better suited for zero turns vs Kohler for riders. Zero turns run two hydro pumps and most riders run one.
So if you’re running the zero turn Kawasaki is what you want. As far as longevity? There’s not much difference. That’s coming from a buddy with 30+ years working on both motors.
I’ve got a scag with a Kawasaki motor. 3rd season with it with no issues so far, and my circumstances give it a workout….

Reactions: Wildlife

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
I haven't seen anything but Kohler or Kawasaki in years. Briggs and Stratton on home owner versions. Briefly in the early 2000's there were some Generac engines on select Dixie Chopper models.

I've had one Kaw. Bought it last year because it was my only available option. I'm a big fan of the Kohler efi models. Nothing against the Kawi's. Just stayed with what worked.
What have you heard about the Briggs vanguard with oil guard? Looks like a great setup, dry sump system for longer oil change intervals.

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Super @Clay Showalter !

Like the independent frontend suspension, that's real nice, and your motor displacement is bigger than mine, which means you shouldn't have any problems throwing grass clear out your deck chute a good long ways no matter how wet your grass is. Nice to see you took advantage of the discount as well, good for you! Good luck with her, she's a real beauty for sure and I'm sure it'll do a great job on the yard!

Mine runs great considering all the challenges of mowing my place. The company I bought mine from has been out of business for awhile, however I still can get parts for her out of Texas if I ever need any someday.
View attachment 153115
Actually exact same size engine, 726cc

Reactions: Wildlife

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Put 2.5 hours on her today, mowed at my mom’s house which had not been moved all year so it was rather tall and out of control but it did an awesome job, cuts great and mows fast. The suspension really soaks up the bumps, I really like how the deck hangs from the suspension, so when the suspension compresses or drops down so does the deck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What have you heard about the Briggs vanguard with oil guard? Looks like a great setup, dry sump system for longer oil change intervals.
Nothing. To be honest, if it says Briggs, I walk away. Want to talk about the old school Briggs with cast iron blocks like they used in old garden tractors? Those were awesome. New Briggs just isn't the same. To be completely fair though, I have not used the one you mentioned. They could have made improvements.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I still have my Husqvarna 22 Hp V-twin with 54” cut but my neighbor and I went in together on a Hustler with only 400 hours on it. He’s semi retired and is quite the mechanic with a lift in his garage and every tool imaginable. He has it running like new and we’ve both cut our mowing times in half. We both mow about 1.5 acres so we’re both happy with our investment.