Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Slammer of a 12 in my yard, leaving for work this morning. Never seen him before.

Attachments

• 459CDACD-3401-46A4-AB67-EDD86E1C6757.jpeg
    459CDACD-3401-46A4-AB67-EDD86E1C6757.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 150

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Damn Chance! You live next to Jurassic Park?!?!
He got word that the big Oak had fallen and he’s out to take off from where he left off.
I doubt he’s heard that! He’s about twelve miles from where I killed “oak”! Since I moved into my house/property I haven’t even begun to think about hunting bucks in there… I know there are some giants around but I’ve been working on herd management for the area. Way way too many does around. Really hoping that guy makes it this year along with a few others I have on camera at the house! Could make next year extremely interesting!

Bigcountry40

We had a fog day no school, sicker than meggit shit so I slept in and now hunting a midday hunt in n a transition area where i have come to suspect a trespasser hung a nice ladder stand, thank u sir. This stand hasn’t been touched in a year

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
It ain't happening yet!

Got down @10:30 a.m. after not seeing or hearing any more deer since earlier this mornin, but after I let an arrow fly first though.

The good old 125gr fixed 3 blade 'THUNDERHEAD' put a real hurtin on one of our local bandits.
20211110_112947.jpg

It's time to start thinning these critters out around here. I certainly have plenty of them, that is for sure.

Anyways, the following video below is what deer activity occurred overnight at my setup that I've been huntin the past 4.5 days now, which began shortly after I left the stand yesterday evening. It's of all the TC captures of all the deer that showed up overnight, including 'THUNDER' once again.

It's quite apparent that the full rut action hasn't completely kicked off yet around my neck of the woods. Once again, the five year history that I'm fully aware of around here suggests that it doesn't start until the 13th and/or 14th, typically.

There are more than a few reasons why I've been hunting out of the same tree-stand over the past four days, not to mention that within a 40 yard radius of my tree, I have more natural scrapes and tree rubs than I can probably count utilizing both fingers and toes combined.

As long as the preferred wind direction for that setup continues, I have no intensions of hunting anywhere else until it drastically changes, which that isn't supposed to happen until the 19th, according to 'Windy's' wind forecast. I've been able to slip in and out of there totally undetected for the most part, both mornings and evenings, however, I did have one where there was a forky that busted me just yards away one early morning, but I'm not concerned about that at all. I cleaned up a nice path to that tree, which has worked out real well for me.

So, perhaps not a whole lot of excitement comin from me lately, but hopefully that will change here rather soon over the next few days.

Anyhow, that's my plan for huntin the rut around here this season and I'm sticking to it for once and see if it pays off.

BTW, the bone I discovered earlier this mornin, it's an old one, but it wasn't there yesterday, so, I have no idea where or how it came about.

Attachments

• 20211110_100636.jpg
    20211110_100636.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

rooster85

Lake County
Big foot.
It ain't happening yet!

Got down @10:30 a.m. after not seeing or hearing any more deer since earlier this mornin, but after I let an arrow fly first though.

The good old 125gr fixed 3 blade 'THUNDERHEAD' put a real hurtin on one of our local bandits.
View attachment 139808

It's time to start thinning these critters out around here. I certainly have plenty of them, that is for sure.

Anyways, the following video below is what deer activity occurred overnight at my setup that I've been huntin the past 4.5 days now, which began shortly after I left the stand yesterday evening. It's of all the TC captures of all the deer that showed up overnight, including 'THUNDER' once again.

It's quite apparent that the full rut action hasn't completely kicked off yet around my neck of the woods. Once again, the five year history that I'm fully aware of around here suggests that it doesn't start until the 13th and/or 14th, typically.

There are more than a few reasons why I've been hunting out of the same tree-stand over the past four days, not to mention that within a 40 yard radius of my tree, I have more natural scrapes and tree rubs than I can probably count utilizing both fingers and toes combined.

As long as the preferred wind direction for that setup continues, I have no intensions of hunting anywhere else until it drastically changes, which that isn't supposed to happen until the 19th, according to 'Windy's' wind forecast. I've been able to slip in and out of there totally undetected for the most part, both mornings and evenings, however, I did have one where there was a forky that busted me just yards away one early morning, but I'm not concerned about that at all. I cleaned up a nice path to that tree, which has worked out real well for me.

So, perhaps not a whole lot of excitement comin from me lately, but hopefully that will change here rather soon over the next few days.

Anyhow, that's my plan for huntin the rut around here this season and I'm sticking to it for once and see if it pays off.

BTW, the bone I discovered earlier this mornin, it's an old one, but it wasn't there yesterday, so, I have no idea where or how it came about.
Big foot

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
"I can see clearly now that" the weeds are gone!

20211110_152330.jpg

YES!! - The South field just got completely mowed down not even an hour ago. Now I can see what hell is going on with these deerz around here. Those 6-8' tall weeds kept those deerz well hidden from me for a while. Not anymore. They're pretty much forced back into the wooded area. I can now get to my 'Southwestern Stand', 'Northwestern Stand' and my 'Southern CRP Stand' without too much difficulty now and spook all those deerz out of dodge.

This 'Western Stand' is a great obsservation stand. After a few more hunts here, I'll have a real good handle on how they're traveling and when.

Things are lookin up already this evening, awesome!

Oh man, that fresh smell of freshly cut grass is a beautiful thing!

Good luck out there, 'TOO'zers!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in a killer spot. Using my climber. Generally horrible cover in a climber but this tree has clusters of young maples around it holding leaves. Yet, I have shooting Lanes. Had to stop on walk in. Looked like an old 6pt working the edge of a thicket not 100yds from me. I killed my 2010 and 2018 bucks coming out of that thicket. Last night this field had piles of does in it from combines pushing them out of corn to south and west. Around 10 or so. Most deer I've seen road scouting this woods this year is 3-4. Hopefully they are still around tonight. Looking for a big body buck. Antlers don't matter. That 6pt would do. Beautiful afternoon and views if nothing else.
PXL_20211110_203812368.jpg
PXL_20211110_203804721.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Well, according to the chimney smoke, the wind direction earlier this mornin indicated we still have SW wind so, I headed to my 'Western Stand' once again.
Got to my tree super stealthy like with no issue cause everything was extremely still and quiet. I get up to my stand plateform, then I hear a deer underneath me walking about in the creek bottom. Few steps here, a few steps there. That went on right up to legal time. Took me forever to hang my bag, raise my bow, hang it, and finally sit down, all the while not making a noise.
Once daylight, all is super quiet. I finally pulled out my range finder, binos and knocked an arrow.

View attachment 139788

There's a deer down there,, just within yards of me however, I can't see it nor find it, but I can still hear it every once in a while nibbling on somethin, like honeysuckle leaves perhaps.

I just heard walking again.

Good luck this mornin y'all hunters!

Well, just found out what deer or deerz was underneath me this mornin at the creek bottom.

Now headed through the creek bottom towards the feedstation I bet, right behind our cabin.

'The twins'
20211110_161936.jpg

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
First roamer just showed up. Walked right underneath at the base of the tree. Could've shot him easily @15yrds. I let'em walk after a couple of new scrapes he just left the area.

Got great video of him too!

View attachment 139818
View attachment 139819

Much, much better this evening than the last!

Anyhow, 4 deer total this evening, all well within bow range. Others were seen after quitting time on the far side of the South field, but I could not tell what they were.

That first roamer to hit the property that I know of, which is what I've been patiently waiting for to happen at this setup.

He came in using my cleared out path, right to my tree, which is a nice wide tunnel through all the honeysuckles.

I first saw him about 25yrds right behind me, coming straight at me. I got a super good view of the very front and top of him. He first looked like a keeper, so, I grabbed my bow, turned on the Tactacam and waited for him to step out in front of me, which he did.

Could not have asked for a better opportunity really. The deer did everything perfectly for me. Gave me plenty of time to get a much better look at him, and even stretched out for the perfect broadside shot when hitting the pine licking branch, but, I never did hook up. Instead, I turned around and put the bow away, then grabbed my cellphone and started filming.

I attached all the snapshot photographs of this evening bucks. Date & timestamps are the file names of all photos of deer captured.

He's got decent mass, especially at the bases, excellent spread but, his tines are a bit on the short side. Not quite what I'm after and I do believe I can do much better this year. Heck, the full rut hasn't even begun yet so, I'm good with letting him go. Still, he's a beautiful buck though, no doubt about it!

Attachments

• 20211110_172946.jpg
    20211110_172946.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211110_163558.jpg
    20211110_163558.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211110_163600.jpg
    20211110_163600.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20211110_163706.jpg
    20211110_163706.jpg