Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2020 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've had cams out on our farm since Memorial Day and I'm yet to see a buck on any of the 4 cams. Last night, I drove my lawn mower back to the oak flat behind the house and spread 100#s of corn in shorts and tennis shoes, sweating like a hog. Bear hugged the tree to hang the cam, rubbing sweat all over the cam and the tree. While I'm getting dressed this morning, my phone buzzes. Sometimes I question why I ever leave home to hunt!

This weekend, I'll be setting the blind up 25 yards from here and I'll be building crossbow bolts so Kaydence can start practicing. I realize things will change in the next 2 months, but one of these fellers will likely hang around and if history repeats itself, we should have a legit shot at killing a buck opening weekend.

Screenshot_20200730-161529_SPYPOINT.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He's back. I suspected this was a buck I had pics of from right before season in 2018 and this confirms it. You guys that know me, know I've never killed a truly big buck, but I've killed 6 bucks 5+ years old age. Since 2004, between my dad, Tracie, and I, we've killed 5 bucks that were aged at 5+ and this buck is at least that. He may be 6, but he's for sure 5 based on 2018's pics. I know better than to get my hopes up, but I got a 7 year old little girl whose trying to get on that list!

20200730_105124.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
BTW, the first pic is the standard resolution that transmits from the SpyPoint Link Micro. The second is an HD pic. For $5, you get 50 HD downloads. Well worth it when trying to decipher what you've really got on cam.

Reactions: Stressless

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That is a dandy. Still happy with the spypoint? I need to get another cell cam to bounce around on other properties.

So far, so good. No real complaints, especially now that you can get HD pics without pulling the card. For the price, it's a solid cam even if it wasn't cellular. Trigger speeds are on the upper end of things and as you can see, the pic quality is solid.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I disagree. Short brows are the norm in this neighborhood. That slight curl at the end is something that could easily change IMO, but the length, that's more uncommon based upon my 20 years of knowledge in this wood lot. But, I could be wrong. Without a DNA test, it's merely speculation.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I am leaning towards a different deer Jesse. One brow difference could be questionable, but both makes me lean. Still a DANDY and I think K would be out of control (In a good way) to shoot such a deer! I hope and pray to see it!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys gotta remember, 2018 season was 2 sets of antlers ago. To say it’s not the same deer because the brow tines look different is a relatively weak argument. Bucks can add or lose tines over the years like it’s nothing. That being said, I think it’s very hard to confirm that it IS the same deer too... so who really knows.

Jesse, to me that 2018 pic could very well be a stud 2.5 year old. Well, if it was a northern deer up here I’d say for sure it could be. But you know your local genetics and how likely or unlikely that is down there. Regardless, you’ve got some great prospects in the area so far!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Guys made arguments back then he may be 2.5 and I have a really hard time believing that. I understand their bodies are what tells us their age more than rack, but if that was his rack at 2.5, I'd expect him to be MUCH bigger now because he would have been the 1% of 2 year olds down here. At 3.5 in 2018, his rack at 5.5 makes perfect sense. Again, I could be wrong. But 16 years of cameras down here and nothing comes even close to being what he was if he was indeed 2. With a kicker like that off a G2, and brows that long at 2, he was an extreme outlier for this part of the state.

Last edited: