Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2023-2024 Season Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A solid look at the Corner Pocket. I wish the clover had filled in better, but it'll help with the frost seeding next year.

2023100410504172.jpg.png

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
15+ years of planting food plots and this is the first time I've ever had confirmation that the deer were hammering a leafy greens plot. This is the Whitetail Institute Destination blend with some Biologic Endurance Radish mixed in. This plot is next to a ton of great cover and obviously, the does like it. Sure looks like a great spot to kill a cruising buck!

Deersurgeon

15+ years of planting food plots and this is the first time I've ever had confirmation that the deer were hammering a leafy greens plot. This is the Whitetail Institute Destination blend with some Biologic Endurance Radish mixed in. This plot is next to a ton of great cover and obviously, the does like it. Sure looks like a great spot to kill a cruising buck!

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Whitetail Institute Destination and wish I had better luck with mine this year. I had a 2 acre plot planted first week in August which did take because of the drought. Yours looks great!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's rare that I refuse to shake a man's hand, but it happened this morning...

20231103_110420.jpg

Fuck this place is how I feel at the moment. 🤬

Decided to spend midday on the edge of our sanctuary near where I killed my buck two years ago. Ride the bike all the way to our western property line. I instantly see the orange bag and think WTF. Then I see the stand, then the guy. He tried to pretend he didn't see me at first, then I made it clear I saw him...

"You weren't planning on shooting across the fence were you?"

"Oh...uh...no, of course now. We won't if you won't."

Mother fu@$ker you can't see any of my stands from your side of the fence, so don't you worry!

Son of a bitch has 280 acres to hunt and he walked through 279.5 acres of it, plus all the best bedding to hang so close to the property line, he could piss over the fence. And I know god damned well he could see my food plot. His stand was on the fence line at the white X. 🤬😡🤬😡🤬

DJI_0376.jpg

Anyone want to buy 80 acres in SE Ohio?!?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
It's rare that I refuse to shake a man's hand, but it happened this morning...

View attachment 187125

Fuck this place is how I feel at the moment. 🤬

Decided to spend midday on the edge of our sanctuary near where I killed my buck two years ago. Ride the bike all the way to our western property line. I instantly see the orange bag and think WTF. Then I see the stand, then the guy. He tried to pretend he didn't see me at first, then I made it clear I saw him...

"You weren't planning on shooting across the fence were you?"

"Oh...uh...no, of course now. We won't if you won't."

Mother fu@$ker you can't see any of my stands from your side of the fence, so don't you worry!

Son of a bitch has 280 acres to hunt and he walked through 279.5 acres of it, plus all the best bedding to hang so close to the property line, he could piss over the fence. And I know god damned well he could see my food plot. His stand was on the fence line at the white X. 🤬😡🤬😡🤬

View attachment 187124

Anyone want to buy 80 acres in SE Ohio?!?
What you want for it?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yea that sucks Jesse but come to a more populated County where there's a property line every 150 yards and every property has a swinging dick hunting it. Id be pissed off as well but hopefully the guy got the point and he moves back a good ways on his own place. Keep at it, it only takes a little good luck for something good to happen.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yea that sucks Jesse but come to a more populated County where there's a property line every 150 yards and every property has a swinging dick hunting it. Id be pissed off as well but hopefully the guy got the point and he moves back a good ways on his own place. Keep at it, it only takes a little good luck for something good to happen.
That's how the 11 acres behind my house is and I've come to expect shenanigans back there. It goes with the territory when hunting "suburban" deer. Little harder to swallow when our 80 acres is one of the smaller parcels in the neighborhood.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He’s only here for how long? A week, two? Might be worthwhile to sit looking at him for that amount of time. I’m assuming this is one of the lessors?

Reactions: 5Cent

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He’s only here for how long? A week, two? Might be worthwhile to sit looking at him for that amount of time. I’m assuming this is one of the lessors?
Yep, guys from PA leasing it. He showed me some pics. We have very different opinions on what qualifies as a shooter. He showed me one and I'll admit to being an elitist prick when I said "that's only a shooter on your side of the fence". He acted like I slapped his mom. 😂

He did say they will only be hunting in November. I suppose if I want to play the golden acorn game in January, I can get one killed.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This. Is. My. Life.

Been grinding it out trying to even see this buck. Tonight, I started my latest responsibility of coaching our 5th grade girls basketball winter/tournament team. Practice started at 3P. Had I hunted, I'd have 1,000% been here. This is the 3rd time he's daylighted in the last 3 weeks and I missed all 3 🤦

26c540b9-fec9-42d4-8397-7095e8be9a64.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is the most consistent buck I've ever hunted. I'm getting pictures of him every day, but 99% have been at night. He was on 4 different cameras on Sunday (and maybe more when I check the others) and he went 500 yards in 20 minutes on Monday night. Even with all the pics, there's only a couple of patterns to pick up on which lead me to believe he's bedding in two different areas. In this pic, he's headed to where I thought he's bedded the majority of the time going back to late-July when he first showed up. I'm to the point now that I'd rather him survive until next fall so we can continue the battle when he's fully mature, but I'm still on his ass for the time being!

dd1a587a-06f3-4100-9705-104d3ef0d76c.jpg