Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's Farm Tour - March 13, 2021

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After a couple of false starts due to a stupid mistake on my part in forgetting about Easter one year, then effectively forgetting about it altogether, this idea has festered long enough. Pictured below is a 400-acre block, with our 80-acre farm as the core. If things go well, we'll have control over 300 acres of this by spring. Either way, you are looking at the territory that largely influences the quality of my annual hunting experiences on our farm, which I affectionately call The Farm with No Name. I have 15 years of habitat management under my belt here and we've brought it a long way from where she used to be. @5Cent can speak a bit to the transformation after hunting it this fall, nearly 10 years after his first hunt here. Recently, one of my best friends has started hunting here and he brings a lot to the table, mainly the willingness to work hard and put $ in the pot for improvements. We've developed a 10-year plan to guide the next decade of investment and we'll begin executing this plan in February.

Unless the weather is completely unreasonable, I am offering to host a walking tour (quads also welcome) of our farm on Saturday, March 13, 2021, @ 9AM. I will walk you through all our improvements past, present, and future as we take a leisurely stroll through the hill country of SE Ohio. I'll provide lunch, you can BYOB. I wanted to get this on people's radars now, but I'll kick this back to the top in early March. If you want to attend, shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the list. I can't imagine needing to cap this, but I will say this is open to the first 10 TOOzers that say they want to attend.

FwNN.PNG

Stressless

Keene, OH
Maybe do an outline of the contiguous property you described, that'll define the limits of access w/r/t terrain and boundary lines? Good stuff!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe do an outline of the contiguous property you described, that'll define the limits of access w/r/t terrain and boundary lines? Good stuff!

I'll share certain details on the web, and certain in person. The details of the property boundaries will remain ambiguous on TOO. I'll have a detailed map available for those attending so they can follow along. My friend mentioned earlier, is a surveyor by trade who apprenticed under my father and he's flown the farm with his high-dollar drone, so I have some cool stuff to share in this regard. Good suggestion though (y)

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Awesome stuff. I am going to try to make this Jesse. I’d love to be apart and if I can help at all - I’d love too. I’ll keep you posted as I texted ya about buddy.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feel like this needs to be recorded and shared. Even if you didn't upload it to YouTube, you could use it in future references to your deer stories.

That can be done. I can break it up into segments based upon what we're talking about at the time.

I think most of the guys here know this, but I want to say it anyways. I'm nothing special when it comes to hunting. I'm a middle of the road guy when it comes to hunting knowledge, but I do have a good bit of experience that I enjoy sharing. I'm also a much better land manager than I am a hunter. So come for the land management knowledge and enjoy the hunting stories while you're at it!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It was a true blessing to be able to sit on this property a handful of times myself. A truly beautiful place and a very awesome gesture to extend. If that wasn't the weekend of Austin's birthday I'd come pay the place a visit again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feel like this needs to be recorded and shared. Even if you didn't upload it to YouTube, you could use it in future references to your deer stories.

This was pre-buck kill here last year. If guys want to see more clips like this, I can piece together a small series of 10-12 of these videos walking through our spots. FYI, I ended up reviving the clover and not planting a leafy blend of annuals.