Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's Season Chronicles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hung two more stands yesterday and took advantage of a beautiful day to be outside. Hung the first in "the pond hollow" for a N wind. It's a decent AM or PM spot and one I can slip into pretty into easily. The second is a long walk from the truck, but it's made for November. It's a S wind set right on the edge of the sanctuary. One of those spots with no good tree, so I made the best of a two trees growing close together. Best I could do, but I'm confident it's in the right spot. It's actually in a tree I can recall looking at in 2007 and thinking "in a decade, that's the tree". Well, it's big enough to hang in now, but it's still not quite right. After I hung the stand and climbed in, I found the next "decade from now" tree. That provided a moment of gratitude for having historical perspective on a piece of hunting ground. 👍

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hard to believe fall food plot prep is right around the corner! There are very few things I enjoy more than planting food plots and I started gearing up this weekend by making a "plan". I'm going to get a drone out there on planting day (fingers crossed) and I hope to share some cool pics/vids as a result. Pulled a couple of cards this weekend and the bucks are beginning to fill out. The best days of the year are right around the corner!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Kenna Grace may look like my wife, but she's my spirit animal. Multiple times a day she grabs my phone and says "I see deer daddy". I bought a copy of NAW for her as much as me and as soon as she saw it, she snatched it out of my hand, stares at it, her eyes light up and she says: "Whoa! That's crazy!" 😂 She's genuinely fascinated by deer, especially ones with big antlers, so I know she's mine!

20190628_121335.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Woke up this morning to a message from the feller that killed the coydog and who I gave permission to hunt our farm after the hay came off. This is the 3rd yote he's killed in 3 weeks on us. He said we had an infestation and there's plenty more to kill. This should be a nice boost to our herd in the coming years!

received_455197858445333.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Farm bound with a list laid out with efficiency in mind. Start at the furthest point and work back towards the truck. Whatever I get done today is what's done for the season. No big planting session this year due to time limitations, but I'll try to rescue a couple and do a "poor mans" version time permitting. 👍
20190824_065958.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Put in 7 hours of effort and crossed most of the list off minus planting the pond holler plot. Found some great sign and with the Corner Pocket Plot mowed, I can play the rain and overseed with Green Patch Plus before the next good rain. The clover should recover fairly well and if nothing else, it's a secure opening with browse and I have plenty of shot opportunities.

Red oaks are dropping already and most are loaded. White oak acorns are few and far between.

20190824_090431.jpg

Found some great buck sign along the ridge. One bed is well used and plays into a new set I hung a while back and finished trimming up today.

20190824_084322.jpg

Year 2 for this mineral site and they've really taken to it. Moved the cam from here to the ridge where I found the bed and sign. I tied a limb down and started a mock scrape up there too.

20190824_075027.jpg

You could feel fall in the air today. Was a damn fine morning to be out.

20190824_073831.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Done. Over-seeded heavily with Biologic Maximum and some leftover Merit Seed Ultra Max. "Custom" blend of rape, kale, brassicas, and turnips. Lots of clover left in there too. We'll see what comes back. Trying to replicate the Drury's advice and go "green to green" in this inside corner. The beans on the ridge were early and will brown by season. If I get good regrowth here, I should be in the $.

20190826_171207.jpg