Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

17 and 50 cal paper

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So I got some bench time in with 2 guns today. Dannmann wanted to see paper so this posts for you bud.

It was a nice cool day with no wind. I love the Savage 17 recently acquired. Nice wood Cob.

I have got the ammo down to two.

The Savage 17 was offered 3 different mfg. ammo;

Remington Mag Rimfire, 17 Gr. Bob tail
Hornady XTP, 20 Gr. HP
Federal V-Shok, 17 Gr. HP

attached is the final paper...
I intend to use it on med. weight varmint, out to 200 yards but today was 100 yards.
Kinda ruling out the Federal.
Will make final decision next time home... Not sure if I should go w/ the heavy hollow point or the light bobtail.

Any comments???

The Omega inline is doing just fine.
Just wanted to show off the 50 yd group.
100 yard is 1"
200 gr. sabot pushed down range w/ 100 grains of 777.

Today was a Good Day :smiley_boogie:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Nice shootin with that Omega there Jamesy - :smiley_clap:
Did you dab the Hoppes #9 behind yer ear like yer always sayin?

Good day.:smiley_bril:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Kinda torn. The 5 shot groups on the Hornady are good and a hollow point but the Remington 2-2 and 1 group may be a breathing issue. Remington has potential.

Would I be better off w/ a hollow point or bob tail for a coyote

I suppose either group at 100 yards would do

glad to see the muzzy info , thats why i am here . bought a t c impact . read alot of good stuff on it . i bought 200 gr. t c shockwaves for it , and triple 7 . pland on shooting 100 gr. but t c dont list any load , ballistics or trajectory chart for that load . they dont list there 200 gr. bullet in any of there load info.,. wtf? anybody know where i can find it . thanks . h

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
100 grains by volume of 777 is a safe load under a 200 grain bullet, BTW I prefer a little heavier bullet.
Per Hodgdon's website.
24 inch bbl
2 50 gr pellets = ~1876 fps
100gr loose 2f = ~ 1903 fps

Be sure to spit patch between shots when using T7

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
CJD, I think I'd be a little hesitant to shoot a coyote with a .17 hollow point, the 17 gr BT is that a Ballistic tip type of bullet?

I'm no expert on yotes but shot a couple of groundhogs with a .17 and they exploded.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wow Hoot.
Guess no one realty knows. Closest I could find was;

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

http://www.blackpowderbullets.com/muzzleloader ballistics chart.html

I tried 200,250 shock waves. also Power belts that had odd weights like 245 and 295grain .
I know loads of people shoot the 250 grain but I found the groups opened up for me so I shoot the 200 shock wave. I have not tried the slicker plastic ones.
I also tried 150 gr. of 777 but found the 200 and 250 became almost unstable and again the groups opened up.

I'll take 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards and touching holes at 50 yards all day long!

I also found that I can get 2-3 even 4 shots in a row BUT it gets really fouled. I try to swab after each shot and have done so in the field too.

Good luck with the new Impact

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
CJD, I think I'd be a little hesitant to shoot a coyote with a .17 hollow point, the 17 gr BT is that a Ballistic tip type of bullet?

I'm no expert on yotes but shot a couple of groundhogs with a .17 and they exploded.

Yes. They called a bob tail

Is the hesitation because the hollow point would break up ?, Is it to light?
the bobtail/ballistis tip would offer more penatration?

Never got to shoot a coyote...
Maybe it's to light...

Someone thats into yote hunting care to coment?
I gots heaver guns if its a issue...

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'd worry that any hollow point or ballistic tip wouldn't get good penetration if you hit the shoulder or even a rib. And I think I'd really worry about shooting the south end of a north bound yote.

But Like I said I'm not yote expert. Someone else will need to weigh in.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I like the looks of the Hornady. The Remington looks like the group I shot with it! .17 for yotes?? I don't know. The ballistic on ground grizzly works great. Traveling at the speed of the .17 it would sure as hell hurt one! What did I give you. Can't member what happen five minutes ago let alone last week! :smiley_confused_vra

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I like the looks of the Hornady. The Remington looks like the group I shot with it! .17 for yotes?? I don't know. The ballistic on ground grizzly works great. Traveling at the speed of the .17 it would sure as hell hurt one! What did I give you. Can't member what happen five minutes ago let alone last week! :smiley_confused_vra

You gave me 1/2 a box of the Federal... my top group. no wonder there was 1/2 a box. LOL

I really enjoy the gun Cob. I just don't know my limitations with it.:smiley_coolpeace:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
DArn! That's what I fire my group with. IT WAS THE WIND and pilot error. :)