Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2010 Mount

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks everyone!
I had this done by Mike Green in Richmond, Ohio.

LOL... my bad, dude... Brian Knight has guitars on the wall in his showroom so I figured he did it. 250 bucks is a dang good price for a shoulder mount though!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Great mount, you should enjoy it for years to come.

I understand you're not happy with the tag but do NOT cut it off and reattach it. Once you do it will no longer be permanently tagged.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I made that mistake with a couple of my early bucks because the tags got rusty. I didn't realize the importance of what I was doing at the time.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Great mount, you should enjoy it for years to come.

I understand you're not happy with the tag but do NOT cut it off and reattach it. Once you do it will no longer be permanently tagged.

I don't see where it would really matter. I have seen plenty of deer get tagged in the leg by the tarsal gland or in the ear, only to have the tag removed when the deer was butchered..... You have plenty of pictures of this deer with the tag in place already for proof should you need it, which I doubt you ever will. I would take some snips and cut the tag, then relocate it to the base of the antler where it should have been in the first place if it were me.

Nice deer buddy!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If the game warden ever decided to check you out you have no tag to prove the legitamacy of your kill. If you ever want it scored later it needs the tag. If 30 years down the road you want to have it remounted it needs the tag.

Not saying any of these couldn't be resolved but it does make it complicated. If nothing else at least write the tag # on the back of the mount.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
If the game warden ever decided to check you out you have no tag to prove the legitamacy of your kill. If you ever want it scored later it needs the tag. If 30 years down the road you want to have it remounted it needs the tag.

Not saying any of these couldn't be resolved but it does make it complicated. If nothing else at least write the tag # on the back of the mount.

I didn't say throw the tag away, I just said to take pictures and relocate the tag. I don't think it is Ohio law that a buck has to be tagged on his antlers.......My taxidermist keeps records of the tag number on the deer to help keep records straight, I would guess that this taxidermist has records of tags on all the deer he does also.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't see where it would really matter. I have seen plenty of deer get tagged in the leg by the tarsal gland or in the ear, only to have the tag removed when the deer was butchered..... You have plenty of pictures of this deer with the tag in place already for proof should you need it, which I doubt you ever will. I would take some snips and cut the tag, then relocate it to the base of the antler where it should have been in the first place if it were me.

Nice deer buddy!

Agreed.. Cut it off and wrap it around the base.. It distracts the eye on a great mount where it is.. And you will still be 1000% legal.

Schu72

Streetsboro
My tag isn't down at the base either. I guess I'll have to see how i comes out. What do they do with deer that have bases larger than the tag?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Guys its not the tag that matters its the number. As long as you have that your good. When we go to telecheck we aren't even going to have tags, only numbers over the phone. Cut it off of you want and staple it to the back of the mount. Or write the number on the back. The only reason I said wrap it on the base is for those " where's the tag" guys when they see it on your wall and you tell them its an Ohio buck.