Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 Football Journal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Proud papa moments for Schu! Good for you Scott. Feels good to be a dad when your children have a standout game. Congrats to your son.

Buckmaster

Portage
'Boro youth football rocked this weekend. The youth program went 6-0, with several shutouts.

Our team was one of the victims with a 41-0 defeat. We did score one touchdown but it was called back because of clipping penalty.
I think we only made 3 first downs the entire game. Our defense was afraid to tackle as well as I saw a couple of our cornerbacks pull up on angle tackles only to watch the kid run 50+ yards into the end zone. Today's practice will be all about hitting since they can't do it on the football field.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's "Mini Me" 2014, now 6 years old.

Attachments

• Football 2014.jpg
    Football 2014.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Football Streetsboro.jpg
    Football Streetsboro.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 69

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Thats funny shit.

Our first flag game is tonight. This should be interesting. I have the 6 smallest guys on all the teams. But I have two that are fast.

Buckmaster

Portage
Ben, aren't you in Ravenna? And Schu in Streetsboro? How far is that? Seems kinda far for peewee football.

I'm in Garrettsville, much smaller than Ravenna. I work in Ravenna and my wife teaches in Ravenna. Gville and Sboro are about 20 minutes apart.
Last year we played in Thompson which is about 45 minutes away so an hour or less seems to be the norm. H League baseball draws the line at an hour too. We'll be in H league in two more years. It's back to I league next Spring.

Buckmaster

Portage
In last night's practice we began learning how to tackle all over again. More than half our team is afraid to engage and tackle someone. That's a hard hurdle to overcome. Last year my son was one of them. It took him all season to gain enough confidence to get in there and make tackles. This year, he's right in there on the bottom of the pile. Gearing up to play a good Crestwood team this Sunday.

Buckmaster

Portage
Took another defeat versus the Crestwood Red Devils (Jack Lambert's alum) yesterday, 41-0. We did show some signs of improvement over game 1.
Now that we know how to tackle a little bit its now back to Blocking 101 so we can try to get some plays out of our backfield.
The Challenges of playing with such a youthful team.

Attachments

• Game 2.jpg
    Game 2.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 67

Schu72

Streetsboro
Kids teams are now 4-0 and 3-1. Neither really did anything too special this weekend, although my younger son did carry the ball twice. I think our youth varsity team has a real shot at winning the whole thing. We have a bye this week...it will be nice to have a little break.

Schu72

Streetsboro
This weekend was a bad one for our youth league. Youngers sons game went ok. He sprained his thumb at the very end of the first quarter and did not play the rest of the game. I think we ended up winning 21 or 27-0. He was playing really well until he got hurt. On offense he was going against of the opponents sticker lineman (>110lbs), my son is only 66 lbs. Micah was pancaking this kid.:pickle:

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
We had Parent's Day this weekend TOO. It was Gmen vs Gmen. We played well overall but gave it up on two plays resulting in two touchdowns. Another loss at 14-0.
We are now 0-6 entering our final week of play and have been outscored 184-12 so far this season. Just like the good ole Cleveland Browns.....Maybe next year.
I have some very comical video of my defenders running away from plays to avoid contact. Should make for some enjoyable entertainment to show them once again in a few years.

Buckmaster

Portage
We lost out final game of the season 37-12 vs Rootstown.
Our season was fun filled and honorable as at times we only 11 kids so everyone got to play both ways.
We were in a few games at halftime but our conditioning resulted in giving up lots of points in the second halves of most games.
In the end we lacked player experience and depth.
Just like the Browns.....maybe next year.....my son and I are already looking forward to 2015 Football. He'll be a 3 year second grade starter next year and King of whomever's team he will play on. Proud Daddy and Coach, I am.

Buckmaster

Portage
Indeed, a sad state of affairs over there in Schu-ville. May this be a learning lesson to all parents, coaches, and players. You will overcome adversity.

Buckmaster

Portage
2015 and so it begins......

Our Might Mite season is here amongst the NE Ohio Youth Football league.

I currently have 23 boys on our roster, 12 second graders, 7 first graders, and 4 Kindergarteners.
This is my son's 3rd year playing so he's on top the food chain this year.
Last season he was the only first grade team captain and he held his own in terms of his team leadership and his play on the field.
I'm expecting big things from him this year. I'm envisioning him as FB/HB on offense and ILB on defense in a 4-4 setup.

I completed my background check and concussion certification this morning.

Equipment hand out is this Saturday and practice begins Monday 6-8 through Thursday.
Lots of hard work ahead for these boys.

Buckmaster

Portage
"Mini Me" 2015 version.
Year #3 and at the top of "food chain" this year and 91 pounds.

Starting Fullback and Inside Linebacker.

He had 4 carries for 41 yards and a his first touchdown this past Sunday in a 32-19 defeat.

I'm coaching once again this year (#3) and have 22 boys, 5, 6, and 7 year olds.

Try again next weekend........

Attachments

• Gmen2015.jpg
    Gmen2015.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 67