Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 DIY Euro buck

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have always wanted to try this method from hearing a could guys talk about it. Plus is it was free!!! I had a couple guys recommend burying the skull just so the antlers are sticking up out of the ground and then covering the antlers with foil and a barrel to keep critters from digging it up. I put it in the ground right away last september and pulled it out of the ground about a month and half ago. It definitely had a FUNKY smell when I dug it up! but for the most part except for few tiny pieces of muscle it was completely clean!! I used some green clean and peroxide to help tame the smell and lighten it up a little. I still have it out in the garage as I am waiting for the stink to fade! Will I do it again?? Most likely not, I will just boil it and power wash it next time!! I am kinda digging the natural look it has now?? What do you guys think? Get that skull white or keep it natural?

IMG_1128 (1).jpg

58309562402__E0C81E20-957D-43B0-AFF2-8D51CFA1F4D4 (1).JPG

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Yeah it’s still full of oils and fats. Need to simmer it in some dawn and a couple cap full of bleach. Then hose off and air dry. If you want the white look use hair dresser strength peroxide and paint several coats on it. The funk will go away in a weeks time.

All kinds of methods to get a skull mount. I’m impatient so boiling and doing what I said works best for me.

TBH I have a young man that comes to my camp to hang and hunt and does mine for free when he does his and others he does for 50$. For 50$ I will never boil another, but I have done plenty in the past.