Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 Veterans Turkey Hunt in Kentucky

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I was out getting my finger prints scanned for my Security Clearance at work and went ahead and ran to Cabelas for some turkey shells. They didnt have any of the Winchester Long Beard XR's so I went with the Winchester Double X 3" #5 shot. Anyone have any experience with these? They were also out of turkey vests. Guess Im a little behind.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I was out getting my finger prints scanned for my Security Clearance at work and went ahead and ran to Cabelas for some turkey shells. They didnt have any of the Winchester Long Beard XR's so I went with the Winchester Double X 3" #5 shot. Anyone have any experience with these? They were also out of turkey vests. Guess Im a little behind.
Yeah I'd say you're behind. Better get out and shoot that gun to see how they pattern.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Well it was a fun trip, but no Turkeys got shot in the face. Friday afternoon we pulled into Blacklick Holler around 1. Had to load all of our gear into a couple of UTV's in order to get to the cabin. Got set up in the cabin, got changed and headed to the top of the mountain. We got situated in the blind and about an hour later we heard our first gobble, 20 minutes after that two jakes headed into our area. They got a pass, I was there for a big Tom. The jakes milled around for about 30 minutes and then headed out. Later on a hen made her way through. A little later a few does came in, leery of the decoys, they made there way around them. About 30 minutes goes by and a big tom came down the hill, he struted for a few seconds about 80 yards out, then went down the other side of the ridge.

Saturday morning we got up at 430, got into a different blind around 6. Saw a meteor shoot down behind the mountain in front of us. We had a bachelor group of bucks make their way towards us, also leery of the decoys. No turkeys, not even a gobble.

Saturday afternoon we went to yet another blind, got set up by 3-330. More deer, they skirted us and the decoys. About ten minutes in and we heard a nice gobble not too far way, never could get him to commit. Five ft behind us was a straight drop off into a valley. We watched a couple turkeys roost, which was pretty neat.

Sunday morning im set up in that same blind as Saturday afternoon. We heard quite a few gobbles, but never could get one to commit.

All in all it was a great weekend. I saw some beautiful scenery and got to spend some quality time with my buddy Jake. And thats what I looked forward to the most. Ive known Jake for about 6 years now. I met him on the Veterans hunt I go to in Lima.

6752357137300182343.jpg

I will add some more pictures a little bit later on, I have some work to catch up on. Thanks for all the well wishes gents, just didnt get it done. But I have no regrets, it was well worth the trip.