Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019 Buckeyes Football Thread

Lucky

Sunbury
Joe burrows is the real deal for LSU. he just wasnt good enough to shine at OSU . cant blame him for leaving . Glad hes doing well there. But hes just average at a place like the OSO. Hes definatly not a Fields caliber qb

Lucky

Sunbury
I know... Just giving shit cause ... But he wasnt good enough to b our starter. Plenty good enough for any other team, just not here.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Joe burrows is the real deal for LSU. he just wasnt good enough to shine at OSU . cant blame him for leaving . Glad hes doing well there. But hes just average at a place like the OSO. Hes definatly not a Fields caliber qb

I respectfully have to disagree. Joe Burrows WAS good enough to shine and start for the Buckeyes but was never rightfully given the job because of the extra love and support JT Barrett was given from UM. I mean I’ve never seen such BS loyalty to a player on the OSU football team since Tressel when he started Lydell Ross(“senior”) over Maurice Clarrett, the freshman phenom!
That’s why Saban wins more championships than any other coach in the modern day era of NCAA football, imo. He brings in the best recruiters and coaches and then HE PLAYS HIS BEST PLAYERS regardless of position.

JT Barrett won a lot of games for OSU that is correct and he set nearly every OSU record getting there during almost 4 full years of playing due to the injury against that team up north BUT he was NOT our best QB on the team his last 2 years, IMO. His first year he played remarkably and as a freshman blew away everyone’s expectations and was rightfully given the starting job. If my memory serves me better he played good enough to start but not great his second year till he got seriously hurt in the UM game. Due to the talent around him that year our second or maybe third string QB, Cardale Jones comes off the bench and leads the team through the playoffs and wins the National Championship against Bama.
Now IMO and I know a slew of others agree with me that JT never played the same and even took several steps back from where he was at during his first 2 seasons. He actually looked lost and confused and lost his edge and step. He ran slower and his passing accuracy sucked ass too. Meanwhile Joe Burrows has to sit on the sideline and watch this shitshow after completely out performing JT in each of the last two spring games! It was when Dewayne Haskins came along and making Urban gush with love and support the way he did with JT that Joe saw the writing on the wall. In Dewaynes defense he was also deserving of the start because he was also very accurate but Joe was there a year earlier if I remember correctly.
So, that’s my take on Joe Burrows. He was never given the opportunities because for whatever reason Urban started JT Barrett regardless who the best overall QB was. Watch those two spring games after Barrett came back from his injury and you’ll see what I mean.
I do agree though that many Buckeye fans are glad that Urban is gone though. Yes he’s a phenomenal recruiter and speaker but he did have his flaws. Our teams under him had lots of penalties,terrible time management issues and his play calling was often predictable and conservative. I hated seeing JT run the zone option read every other play back then and I’m glad they both finally moved on. Oh, I knew JT wouldn’t get drafted and or eventually start for ANY NFL team because of reasons mentioned above.

I hope Joe Burrows wins the N.C. and the Heisman trophy this year and goes on to have a stellar career in the league cuz that young man deserves it, IMO.👍🏻

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
M starting to think Urban retiring was best thing that happend to us. Not in almost any game...or any game did u see the buckeyes defense that good, let alone all game. Even second string looked good . and something that u could never say is that our secondary is the shit!! Wasnt all Urbans fault, but his defensive coaches sucked. We always had great talent, but what makes the big difference is Ryan day gutting Meijers coaches and bringing in coaches that have those boys plating at top level. Even with our mistakes , were a top team. They get shit ironed out a little and well be in championship game. And our 2020 class is loaded already. Think its going to b good to b a buckeye for next few yrs . kinda miss the shit years when never worried about missing the game cause was in stand. Michigan fans are lucky, they can hunt all day sat and know they aint missing shit.
I hate OSU more than anyone. But, it's statistically improbable and very unlikely Ryan Day will continue to have the level of success that Urban did. Urban was/is the greatest or second greatest CFB coach of all time with Saban. Osu aint played anybody yet. He has all of Urban's players. Unless osu struck gold with Day(possible), within a year or two is when you'll get a better glimpse of what to expect. In saying this, I have no faith in Michigan doing anything other than pissing down their legs against OSU

Reactions: Tipmoose

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have laugh about the skepticism on Day. We're a bunch of armchair fans. I heard 3 different former CFB/NFL players turned commentators place him in the Top-3 talents in the game yesterday. I'm not convinced he's the next great thing yet, but there are people who have forgotten more about football than most of us here will ever know that seem to think he IS the next great thing. All I know as a fan is that the Buckeyes have a new found moxy about them that I've thought we lacked for years under UM. They were afraid and played stiff as a result. They're loose under Day and it's translating into better play. And above all else, they learned how to tackle!!!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Tom Herman is a genius. He recruited Joe. I'll echo what Ric wrote and add that I feel UM had 2 way better QB's sitting on the pine while JT ran the show. This move to LSU has been well deserved for Joe and he's in a place that truly plays to his strengths and will make him a first rounder in next year's draft let alone being the second to play for the NFL that were watching JT play at OSU.. I never thought Id have 2 major college teams that id follow and with Joe at LSU Im now a huge Tiger fan for the remainder of this season and an Ed Orgeron for life.

Jamie

Ohio
I hate OSU more than anyone. But, it's statistically improbable and very unlikely Ryan Day will continue to have the level of success that Urban did. Urban was/is the greatest or second greatest CFB coach of all time with Saban. Osu aint played anybody yet. He has all of Urban's players. Unless osu struck gold with Day(possible), within a year or two is when you'll get a better glimpse of what to expect. In saying this, I have no faith in Michigan doing anything other than pissing down their legs against OSU

I think you are totally in left field on the idea that is "statistically improbable" that Ryan Day will have the level of success that Urban Meyer did. Things are a little different now, but Day is landing his own big time recruits, has assembled a coaching staff that is clearly making the team better, and as somebody pointed out earlier, the energy on the sideline seems different, which seems to be spilling onto the field of play, too. this is the dawn of a new era of OSU football, and I welcome it as a fan.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I admit up front: I have NOT seen the game. Only highlights. I expected more out of Indiana. . .or maybe less out of OSU? Makes me smile reading the replies (of Buckeye fans) being enthusiastic. Sounds like the Bucks dominated.

Reactions: Jamie

Lucky

Sunbury
I agree that given the chance. Burrows could have shined at OSU. But not under Urban. Ryan day.. yes but not Miejer. He wasnt given chance and also agree about Barret. He was what everyone was hoping Fields wouldnt turn out to be. Way over hyped. I truly think Fields is going to live up to and exceed expectations. Hes young and raw still. But with the right conditions and coaching, wich i believe is there, hes going to be one of our best or best QB in our history. I could eat my words about Ryan day, he could start losing and looking like your average collegiate coach, but i highly doubt it. After this next game. A no name team, like the type of team that screwed many seasons for Meijer, after that the real shit starts and doesnt stop. Our schedule is stacked and if Day is going to fuck up....itl b then.. Between him as head coach and assistants hes surounded himself with, there looking better than ive seen in a LONG time. Well just have to see how it unfolds, but i for one dont think any of this will change except for them getting better. GO BUCKS

Reactions: 5Cent and tracker 6

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I do agree that Meyer wouldn’t have utilized Joe Burrows talents the way Saban would or Orgeron has which is why I’d rank both of them higher than Urban.
Joe Burrows has the arm,legs and moxey to lead any team with great talent to the promise land if he’s allowed to showcase it. At least now he is on a team that with a coach that recognized his talents and is letting him use all 3.
GO BUCKS and GO TIGER JOE!👍🏻👍🏻

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
If you've never seen the LSU vs Texas A&M last year with 7 OT's, do yourself a favor and watch it. They got screwed out of the win in my opinion but the effort and tenacity of Burrows is outstanding.
Here is the highlights, and this will not do justice to watching it live in order to appreciate (Like Ric refers to as Moxey) Burrows heart and drive to win.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
CB20B241-0CDE-4B38-A982-B6126DF210C7.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yawn. Dissected a Nebraska team which is still rebuilding. 3 self destructing interceptions by Nebraska didn't help their cause. Seemed like the Buckeyes put it on autopilot in the second half.

I'll give the Buckeyes this: they are so much better on defense this year AND amazingly balanced on offense. They also seem to have a different swagger about them this year. They come out swinging. They have confidence. Their fundamentals like tackling are much improved. If they stroll past Wisconsin like they have everyone else then I'll feel better about play off hopes. Wisconsin (possibly but probably not Penn State) will be their only challenges.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Yea...OSU is playing so much better than they did last year. Not one game has there been any doubt as to outcome at halftime. The test will be wisky. If they get by that...then its clear sailing to the playoffs. Not sure bama will make it this year. They have to host LSU, then play at Auburn and then beat (likely) Georgia in the SECCG. I wonder if they'll allow two 1 loss SEC teams in..... *stir*

Clemson, playing in the all cupcake conference should coast to the playoffs now that they got their scare at UNC out of the way.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea...OSU is playing so much better than they did last year. Not one game has there been any doubt as to outcome at halftime. The test will be wisky. If they get by that...then its clear sailing to the playoffs. Not sure bama will make it this year. They have to host LSU, then play at Auburn and then beat (likely) Georgia in the SECCG. I wonder if they'll allow two 1 loss SEC teams in..... *stir*

Clemson, playing in the all cupcake conference should coast to the playoffs now that they got their scare at UNC out of the way.

We try to keep Buckeye thread with a Buckeye stuff. College football thread everyone else. Not busting your chops. Just trying to keep it civil. 🤣🤣

Reactions: Tipmoose