Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019 Turkey Season

Isaacorps

Columbus
Well my first out of state trip is in the books. This was also my wife’s first time out hunting with me and she loved it. No birds killed but boy did we have a good time chasing them! Saturday was absolutely perfect weather and we got after them pretty good but couldn’t quite seal the deal. We woke up to rain Sunday morning but I decided to head out anyway while she stayed at camp and slept in. I didn’t do anything other than get wet in the couple hours I stayed out. Decided to call it a weekend and head back to camp. We got just enough break in the rain to break camp and load up before the skies opened back up. All in all we had a great time just hanging out with each other, seeing some new country and being out in the great outdoors. This is by far the most fun I’ve had hunting in quite some time and I’d say I got my mojo back as far as that goes lol. It’s something I can definitely see us doing again in the future. Now I just need to figure out how to fill this tag before season goes out on May 5 🤔 I guess I’ll just have to go back down once or twice between now and then 🤷🏻‍♂️😎

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
@Jamie
He’s not. I should have worded that differently. He does however take an awful lot of folks turkey hunting. Last year was his best season, killing 26 birds in 24 mornings. There are an awful lot of turkeys in his neck of the woods. There would be a lot more if he weren’t there.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He did not. He said on the way home he wished he had. It just didn’t occur to him at the time That would have gotten a good laugh I’m sure. There are plenty of birds in that area and I’m sure there will be at least 20 fewer at the end of the season.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Well unless something changes at work next week it doesnt look like I'll make it out until Saturday morning. Gokd luck to all you guys who are fortunate enough to get after them the first of the week.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Well. If all goes as planned should have at least one dead about 645 . But you know how that goes . Been hearing a good number of birds at multiple places the last several days . My buddy watched em at our plan A spot Fri and today and they have been consistent so it's up to us to screw it up. I slipped in at 9 and cleared some Multifloral Rose and made a little bit of a blind with blown down pine boughs . Been a bunch of hens , some Jake's , and at least 3 Tom's landing in a mowed pipleline ROW and we'll be seated 40 yds from where they land . If things go south there for who knows what reason we have other birds on other properties to go after .

Good luck everyone .

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
First time out for me to listen, heard several birds when i owl hooted this morning at the truck.
Was parked in field at my cousins so had some fun and did a fly down call and just sat in my truck,at 6:40 heard gobble 20 yds away and this guy walked out in pasture 20 yds away,watched him put on a a show and gobble several times,he went in woods and was still gobbling at 8 am along with 3 others. Never heard or saw a hen.
Hoping my brother or buddy Dave can go with me tomorrow so one of them can bust one.

Attachments

• IMG_2497-1.jpg
    IMG_2497-1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2490-1.jpg
    IMG_2490-1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 233

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m taking Mason and his buddy Caleb out in the morning. We are going to Caleb’s grandfathers farm, which I know almost nothing about. From our trip down there last Sunday afternoon, I’m confident there are plenty of turkeys there. Mason is taking his bow, Caleb will be packing his shotgun in hopes of killing his first bird. I’m sure it will be a good time regardless.
Good luck to all!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Oh boy . Beautiful morning . Blessed to be able to go out in the spring woods and hear em gobble today . Killing one would just be icing on the cake .

Getting ready to walk in now . We're gonna be about 100 yds from the roost and right in the runway .

Good luck everyone . Hope you are successful .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pretty quiet here too. Did t hear anything until just before fly down. Just waiting now.
Congratulations Jake!

Reactions: xbowguy