Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Muzzleloader Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
ALL SET!
20201230_143340.jpg

Just need Saturday to roll around and show up now.

Just a slight sprinkle of rain while setting things up. The heavy rain the next couple of days should do away with whatever scent I left behind.

Tons of fresh deer tracks all over the place. The last bit of corn I laid out within the cornfield rows over a week ago was gone and polished.

Should be a good hunt come Saturday morning.

Heading home now, catch up with you all soon.

Cheers!

Bowkills

Nw oh
ALL SET!
View attachment 117622
Just need Saturday to roll around and show up now.

Just a slight sprinkle of rain while setting things up. The heavy rain the next couple of days should do away with whatever scent I left behind.

Tons of fresh deer tracks all over the place. The last bit of corn I laid out within the cornfield rows over a week ago was gone and polished.

Should be a good hunt come Saturday morning.

Heading home now, catch up with you all soon.

Cheers!
Your 3 pictures looks like your blind swallows a pine tree! Haha good luck u don't need it but hope u get another video kill.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
True to form, I put it up dirty. True to form, it doesn't matter. 100 grains of 777 with a 245 grain Barnes Spit-Fires at 50 steps. Squeeze felt great, so I'm about 1.5" high and .5". I can't find the right breech to let me shoot Blackhorn, so I'm still on the pellet train. Can't hate on them too much, they've done me well over the years.

20201230_151355.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
True to form, I put it up dirty. True to form, it doesn't matter. 100 grains of 777 with a 245 grain Barnes Spit-Fires at 50 steps. Squeeze felt great, so I'm about 1.5" high and .5". I can't find the right breech to let me shoot Blackhorn, so I'm still on the pellet train. Can't hate on them too much, they've done me well over the years.

View attachment 117628
Mine comes out with a 15/32 socket.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mine comes out with a 15/32 socket.

No issues getting it out. My issue has been finding a replacement breech for pre-2010 Optimas that will allow me to shoot loose powder. The plugs that will take loose powder are for 2010 and newer models. I bought one thinking it would work, but it won't thread in properly.

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh
No issues getting it out. My issue has been finding a replacement breech for pre-2010 Optimas that will allow me to shoot loose powder. The plugs that will take loose powder are for 2010 and newer models. I bought one thinking it would work, but it won't thread in properly.
Got yeah. I shot loose powder for two season not knowing any different, never even thought of it. I do now.

eloucha

Columbus Ohio

Did u get this one.? Try to contact muzzleloader.com they might have a breech plug for urs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
How's this? Right from where the deer should be standing or coming from.
View attachment 117623

Quick follow-up @Bowkills ,

The following is how all deer will view the same exact location of where my blind is currently setup while entering into the cornfield from the E-NE, which is typical travel from one of the main deer trails.
20201230_172955.jpg

Secondly, I understand where you were coming from originally based on your first comment about my blind. You simply did not get see the full picture of the entire area so to speak.

The western horizon along with the current landscape plus the forecasted winds for the weekend shall make that setup melt right in, totally blinded from all the deer. Remember, the only colors a deer is capable of seeing are black, white, levels/shades of grey and blue, all within 300* of full focus vision towards the front of the deer. I'm quite confident that no deer from this point of view of where the photo was taken will be able to see my blind nor me in it at all.

I'm sure you completely understand and now my life can go on, and oh-hey, I film my hunts mainly for me cause I'm getting old. My memory is going to shitsville, trust me, and by documenting my hunts means an awful lot to me. I also refer to them for variety of other reasons too. I also share several of them on my YouTube channel as well, but not all. Just the ones I think most will enjoy perhaps.

Other than that my friend, I wish you nothing but the best of luck this muzzy season! Hope you get what you're looking for!

Take care!

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh

The following is how all deer will view the same exact location of where my blind is currently setup while entering into the cornfield from the E-NE, which is typical travel from one of the main deer trails.
View attachment 117641
Secondly, I understand where you were coming originally from based on your first comment about my blind. You simply did not get see the full picture of the entire area so to speak.

The western horizon along with the current landscape plus the forecasted winds for the weekend shall make that setup melt right in, totally blinded from all the deer. Remember, the only colors a deer is capable of seeing are black, white, levels/shades of grey and blue, all within 300* of full focus vision towards the front of the deer. I'm quite confident that no deer from this point of view of where the photo was taken will be able to see my blind nor me in it at all.

I'm sure you completely understand and now my life can go on, and oh-hey, I film my hunts mainly for me cause I'm getting old. My memory is going to shitsville, trust me, and by documenting my hunts means an awful lot to me. I also refer to them for variety of other reasons too and I also share several of them on my YouTube channel as well, but not all. Just the one I think most will enjoy perhaps.

Other than that my friend, I wish you nothing but the best to luck this muzzy season. Hope you get what you're looking for!

Take care!
I like the spot. I wasn't judging or saying anything about location or setup. At a glance the three pictures posted reminded me of a steamboat willie flip cartoon if you'd flip the papers making it move, as if your blind was alive eating a pine tree. Im odd. It was a thought to only be explained in person or not mentioned at all. I'm sorry you had to do a follow up post on this quirky weird thought I had. I've enjoy the kill shots this season hope to see another from u.

Reactions: Wildlife

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio

View attachment 117641
Secondly, I understand where you were coming from originally based on your first comment about my blind. You simply did not get see the full picture of the entire area so to speak.

I'm sure you completely understand and now my life can go on, and oh-hey, I film my hunts mainly for me cause I'm getting old. My memory is going to shitsville, trust me, and by documenting my hunts means an awful lot to me. I also refer to them for variety of other reasons too. I also share several of them on my YouTube channel as well, but not all. Just the ones I think most will enjoy perhaps.

Other than that my friend, I wish you nothing but the best of luck this muzzy season! Hope you get what you're looking for!

Take care!
What’s your YouTube channel