Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Muzzleloader Season

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No issues getting it out. My issue has been finding a replacement breech for pre-2010 Optimas that will allow me to shoot loose powder. The plugs that will take loose powder are for 2010 and newer models. I bought one thinking it would work, but it won't thread in properly.
Jesse, any machinist friends? They might be able too modify the existing plug too upgrade too the new powder. Just need the differences in the channel leading too the smaller hole. The newer version I believe is 1/8”

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Bowkills

Nw oh
our weather sounds shity. Freezing rain winter weather advisory tomorrow then switching to rain overnight lingering into early morning. Wet dripping woods Saturday morning.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, any machinist friends? They might be able too modify the existing plug too upgrade too the new powder. Just need the differences in the channel leading too the smaller hole. The newer version I believe is 1/8”

I do, and didn't think about that. I can have them measure the replacement plug and drill it to spec.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
It took my third shot to hit the bullseye. No adjustments, I'm totally good to go. I took more time for the third shot from 100 yards and I'll tell ya what, I really enjoy shooting this ML ever since I converted it to the 209 ignition system & the Blackhorn Propellant Powder. Very happy with it!

Portable bench that I shot from @100yrds to the coyote target .
20201231_164816.jpg

Coyote 1/2" 'AR500' Steel Target - the before and after. 1st shot was to the right, 2nd shot was to the left, and finally, the third shot was right on the money that hit the 3" bullseye.
20201231_164709.jpg

Approximately 3-1/2" 's between all three shots and I shot at the target as if I was shooting while actually hunting from the blind pretty much.
20201231_164257.jpg

So, I'm thrilled that I didn't have do anything drastic or adjustments to anything at all.

I expect any shot opportunity that may be presented to me on Saturday, will be no more than 75 yards.

Now I am truly ready for Saturday morning muzzy opener!

Last edited:
Reactions: bowhunter1023

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
Shooting a j sports legacy "oriental express" fitting to be shooting a china gun to end this season. 90grains of pyro 245 grain power belt. Got a tad adjustment but getting close. Saw a good number of deer on tonight's drive. Wish this snow could stay.....getting excited nevertheless...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy and I shot muzzle loaders tonight. We are both feeling good out to 100yds. Going to bed. Working tomorrow. Hoping rain moves out before Saturday.

Reactions: Wildlife

Bowkills

Nw oh
I'm sad muzzy season is here. It's almost over folks!!!!! if you don't get a tingly feeling thinking of Saturday morning, maybe step back and think why you are hunting. I saw deer tonight in the mile section I'll be in Saturday and go back to the excitement of my youth with the Trudy point buck song playing in my head. I hope to see a one 1 single deer within range Saturday. There could be 50 within this sq mile but hope for one. I don't want to shoot a fawn but of its fat it's going to die. I get giddy for deer or doves or squirrels, it's fucking fun!!!!!! But an animal as big as u, that u can kill with a primitive weapon as efficient as Raven crossbow claims to be!!!! Damnit let the rain stop!!!! Freezer filling time!!!!

Reactions: Wildlife and Mike

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Well, I have a little change of plans for tomorrow's hunt. Due to the wind for the first half of the day, and that I intend to watch the entire OSU & Clemson game this evening, I'm going to do an evening hunt instead.

The first half of the day, the wind direction forecasted is supposed to come from the WSW in the double digits and will not change direction until around 3:00 p.m. All types of East winds or North or South winds work best for that setup.

20210101_175412.jpg

So, I'm going to sleep in a little cause I think I'm gonna need it, then go cut some more firewood during the first half of the day. I'll most likely head out for my hunt somewhere around 3:00 p.m.

Good luck to everybody else tomorrow morning! Hope you get yourself one!

Stressless

Keene, OH
heading out in Coshocton with my boy, we've both upgraded ML platforms since these shots 23 years ago - Loved my T/C .50 cal Hawkin, posted up the story on this years hunting journal. The old Hawkin barrel lost temper and T/C wouldn't re-temper it so it's a decoration at camp now.
Retreat134.jpg

Anyway here's the ML we'll be taking out Sunday afternoon is the first hunt, he's currently driving in from CO.

20210102_060114.jpg

First hunt with the T/C Bone collector. The Remingtom hs taken many.

15550.jpeg

Both ML sighted in same scope make model, at 100yds left target was 2 shots, then 6 clicks Right, dead on. Right target was the Remingtom, 5 clicks left. We're good out to 200yd.

Last edited: