Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 SHROOMS!

Bowkills

Nw oh
20211002_165020.jpg
we picked and ate abunch of the 'pear shaped puffball' aka wolfs fart last week.

Jamie

Ohio
today was my first time eating shrimp of the woods. very tasty. I think I'll be going back for more of those. tons of them, but I only brought home enough to give them a try. I have boatload of those pear shaped puffballs growing in my yard and on my wood pile. found them a little while ago while I was mowing. guess I better give them a try tomorrow. I'm totally stuffed after three kinds of wild fungus with some venison burgers.

Levi.r

View attachment 137036is this considered bulbous? If a shroom has a cup will it be always be clearly split from the stem when it matures?
To my knowledge yes, i think there is always a separation from the volva (the cup). what you posted may be white dapperling (Leucoagaricus leucothites) which doesn't grow from a volva rather has what is called a subbulbus stipe or just bulbus stipe. keep in mind anything i say is just from a 17 year old kid who just likes mushrooms not someone with a degree

Levi.r

my "of-the-woods" hat trick :D :D :D

aborted Entolomas (shrimp) I found today, chickens I found today, what left of the hens I found yesterday.

View attachment 137060

are these honey mushrooms? Bluefinn, anybody?

View attachment 137061

anyone recognize these? some variety of Bolete?
View attachment 137062

or these?

View attachment 137063
2nd pick looks like bulbous honey fungus (Armillaria gallica) which is kinda iffy on the edibility scale some people say they are ok to eat if well cooked then others steer clear, i personally would say steer clear of eating it. not sure about the 3rd pick like you said could be some kind of bolete, and for the 4th picture i would say it is Pear-shaped puffball (Apioperdon pyriforme) which is edible, if not pear shaped puffball then its common earth ball (Scleroderma citrinum) which is not edible, you can cut them open and if its blackish green or dark brown then its a earth ball, if its white then its a pear shaped puffball.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Red you got me all fired up about these mushrooms so I just went for a walk behind the house. Found a giant oak that had fallen a few years ago and walk over to it and find these...looks like the hens right? I picked the big one on the left. Thinking about trying them tonight. They seem really fresh!
20211010_172752.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Red you got me all fired up about these mushrooms so I just went for a walk behind the house. Found a giant oak that had fallen a few years ago and walk over to it and find these...looks like the hens right? I picked the big one on the left. Thinking about trying them tonight. They seem really fresh!
View attachment 137211
Yep, both hens. Get that other one!