Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Turkey Season “Live”

Isaacorps

Columbus
I struck one up at 9:45 and played cat and mouse with him for almost an hour. I could see him across the holler coming down the hill in full strut. I didn’t realize how thick and nasty the bottom was and there was no way he was going to cross it to come up to me. I really had no move to make but I tried to get around and above him anyway but I’m pretty sure I had been made at that point. Hopefully I gathered some good Intel for tomorrow and they’ll be a little more vocal on the roost. Hopefully they’ll be ready to play after this soaker coming in!

Bankfish

First time turkey hunter went along with me this morning. Jake made his way to the decoys, never left. He's pumped to go again in the morning. Lol.

Attachments

• 20210424_083602_001.jpg
    20210424_083602_001.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210424_081217.jpg
    20210424_081217.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 98

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Right after my last post i heard 2 different birds. One was a Jake and sounded close enough but he never came up the hill to us. The other was a ways down the valley behind us. Waited for 30 minutes for the Jake to move to us but he went quiet. Then we walked around to see if any of the surrounding fields were where they were hiding and still nothing.

Cooper wants to go back to the really henned up gobbler in the morning. I'm game but unsure how to make the play.

We'll be set up within a hundred yards of the normal roosting location. Our approach is the light orange and our location along that valley. The birds roosting area in red and the path (approximately) the hens took the gobbler on last weekend in the red.

Normally the gobblers either come down right in front of my set up or out the upper right corner of the woods to strut. I haven't seen him strutting this year so i don't know his pattern.

I have 2 hen decoys, 1 Jake and a full strutter i can put out. Suggestions?

I was thinking about being quiet and letting him hammer away until i hear hens respond to him so i can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. If there are hens just cluck one or twice so he knows I'm there and then stay silent. Then hope he circles back late morning after they go to nest. If no hens respond then try to get him fired up and then go silent so he searches me out.

Ideas?

Reactions: Spencie

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Right after my last post i heard 2 different birds. One was a Jake and sounded close enough but he never came up the hill to us. The other was a ways down the valley behind us. Waited for 30 minutes for the Jake to move to us but he went quiet. Then we walked around to see if any of the surrounding fields were where they were hiding and still nothing.

Cooper wants to go back to the really henned up gobbler in the morning. I'm game but unsure how to make the play.

We'll be set up within a hundred yards of the normal roosting location. Our approach is the light orange and our location along that valley. The birds roosting area in red and the path (approximately) the hens took the gobbler on last weekend in the red.

Normally the gobblers either come down right in front of my set up or out the upper right corner of the woods to strut. I haven't seen him strutting this year so i don't know his pattern.

I have 2 hen decoys, 1 Jake and a full strutter i can put out. Suggestions?

I was thinking about being quiet and letting him hammer away until i hear hens respond to him so i can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. If there are hens just cluck one or twice so he knows I'm there and then stay silent. Then hope he circles back late morning after they go to nest. If no hens respond then try to get him fired up and then go silent so he searches me out.

Ideas?
Screenshot_20210424-114653_onX Hunt.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Called in a Jake then about an hour later called in two nice Tom’s...one was doing all of the gobbling while the other one remained silent and did all of the strutting. First one popped up out of the ravine just a bit farther than I felt comfortable taking a shot at....second one pulled a Houdini and never came out of the ravine. Bumped another one walking up to the field on my way out. I’ll give em hell tomorrow.

OO2

In the Uplands
I struck one up at 9:45 and played cat and mouse with him for almost an hour. I could see him across the holler coming down the hill in full strut. I didn’t realize how thick and nasty the bottom was and there was no way he was going to cross it to come up to me. I really had no move to make but I tried to get around and above him anyway but I’m pretty sure I had been made at that point. Hopefully I gathered some good Intel for tomorrow and they’ll be a little more vocal on the roost. Hopefully they’ll be ready to play after this soaker coming in!
Just needed to be rid of my squawking!

Stressless

Keene, OH
Good sit - no shots but Damn these bitches be crazy! Had some hens come in and for about an hour they pummeled and tried their best to intimidate my DSD hens into a submissive pose. I got three good gobbles on this edit - Their were three or four back on the ridges - none came into the decoys. Figured the boys would roll up to be entertained by the cat fight... :cool:

Made a joke about the resedent hens taking it to the new girls with the Mrs... The Mrs. gets it.