Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2022 Ohio State Buckeyes

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Go Bucks !

R.jpeg

Reactions: 5Cent and giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I ain't gonna lie...I'm a bit nervous
Don't go shitting yourself. It will be fine. Typical Buckeye fashion. Just need to settle in. CJ Stroud hasn't settled in. New defense isn't gelling yet. It will be alright.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Too many penalties on both sides of the ball. Many of those penalties gave ND first downs. Seemed like they they allowed ND to convert on third down often but I haven't seen any stats. Mike Hall was the shining star on defense.

CJ Stroud was just "off" for about three quarters. Not horribly off, but just enough to make them ineffective for much of the game.

Williams and Henderson will be a great combo throughout the season (if they stay healthy.) Plenty of receivers with talent. With an accurate CJ Stroud I think those receivers will all begin to shine.

Overall, room to improve, but in game one of the season this is expected. Hats off to ND and Marcus Freeman. They looked tough. I was impressed. Freeman was calm, cool and collected. Stuck to his game plan. Didn't seem to get flustered. Kept Buckeyes searching for what was going to work for about three quarters. They kept it close, which they needed to if they were going to win.

I won't brag on this win, but it was a good one to build on.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll be damned...the team that always gets hated on the most for being overrated didn't even make the top 20. One team made it twice...hmmm. @CBecker

There's a glaring issue with looking at numbers that way and it's easily explained. If you have a conference that randomly spawns winners, then a team in that conference is more likely to be unseated as the season goes on. If you have a conference that never produces championship-caliber teams then early season rankings will usually hold true with a single good team. Think about it, the only real way a team can go down is to lose, but if nobody else in the conference is worth a damn then the odds of that happening is slim.

Say OSU ranks in the top 10 pre-season. Well, short of them shitting the bed against an unranked Iowa there isn't really much that's going to threaten them throughout the season. I mean, honestly, when was the last time any team in the big 10 besides osu was worth a damn? OSUs big bad rival Michigan has been a joke for over a decade. Maybe one year Penn three a curveball but that was never going to amount to anything. They just don't exist. Put it on coast and don't do anything stupid and the ranking will hold.

Now if we look back on the SEC there has been plenty to go around over the last 15 years. Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Alabama, all have produced championship teams in the last 15 years. If you would have told me 3 years ago that Georgia would win a NC I would have called you nuts. If you would have told me that a year after winning a title LSU was going to be absolute shit I wouldn't have believed you. If you tell me that Michigan is going to be garbage for the next 10 years, yeah, I'll buy that.

The other issue with that poll is they only looked at regular season. If there is a conference like I mentioned before, it's not until post-season bowl and playoff games that they get exposed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Perfect, imperfect game to start things off! The adversity and winning with old school, smash mouth football is a great start to the season!

Agreed. Run da bawl! I texted the some buddies at halftime, someone must have forwarded it to Day because they came out in the third and started running it hard and completing some passes when ND played up. 🤘

Screenshot_20220903-222323_Message+.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Too many penalties on both sides of the ball. Many of those penalties gave ND first downs. Seemed like they they allowed ND to convert on third down often but I haven't seen any stats. Mike Hall was the shining star on defense.

CJ Stroud was just "off" for about three quarters. Not horribly off, but just enough to make them ineffective for much of the game.

Williams and Henderson will be a great combo throughout the season (if they stay healthy.) Plenty of receivers with talent. With an accurate CJ Stroud I think those receivers will all begin to shine.

Overall, room to improve, but in game one of the season this is expected. Hats off to ND and Marcus Freeman. They looked tough. I was impressed. Freeman was calm, cool and collected. Stuck to his game plan. Didn't seem to get flustered. Kept Buckeyes searching for what was going to work for about three quarters. They kept it close, which they needed to if they were going to win.

I won't brag on this win, but it was a good one to build on.

It looked pretty solid for game one, and really solid against a fellow ranked team. If they build on it and stay healthy i'd say OSU has the look. They certainly have the energy. They'll need to clean up that first half and play all 4 but they should find a groove. Time will tell. That RB is a beast btw. He's got that Mark Ingram look.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It looked pretty solid for game one, and really solid against a fellow ranked team. If they build on it and stay healthy i'd say OSU has the look. They certainly have the energy. They'll need to clean up that first half and play all 4 but they should find a groove. Time will tell. That RB is a beast btw. He's got that Mark Ingram look.
I thought Henderson was going to be the game changer. Williams stepped up and Henderson filled in. I doubt there are many teams in the country with two RB's at this level. They both looked great. I haven't seen any stats. Heard one commentator say the OSU D held ND under 100yds. (Maybe he said "rushing yards".) I'd like to see the stats on our RBs. Yards after contact specifically. They both seemed to find holes or make things work when it looked bleak. Don't remember many plays for a loss of yards.

I'm almost glad the game was close. It gave a great look at our defense. Last year's D against this ND team. . . I'm not sure if ND wouldn't have pummeled us. I'm looking forward to seeing things cleaned up and the offense finding their stride.