Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

450 Bushmasters and Muzzle Breaks???

Fletch

Supporting Member
So I shot a 450 Bushmaster over the weekend and got the itch to get one... Every one I looked at has a "muzzle break"... I think it's ugly and what does it actually do other than make it louder... Reduce recoil??? Really??? Gun won't kick anymore than a 20 gauge without it... I wonder if a gunsmith can remove it and re-crown the barrel???

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So I shot a 450 Bushmaster over the weekend and got the itch to get one... Every one I looked at has a "muzzle break"... I think it's ugly and what does it actually do other than make it louder... Reduce recoil??? Really??? Gun won't kick anymore than a 20 gauge without it... I wonder if a gunsmith can remove it and re-crown the barrel???
I believe you can unscrew it, and they sell an adapter to go in its place. Basically a thread protector…..

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Yes & yes...

005-3.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
The quality and/or design of a muzzle break and/or muzzle break/compensator can make a big difference on how quickly you can get back on target. That said, it all depends on the application or intention of what you may use that weapon for. I have rifles with excellent muzzle breaks and others without. Someone using a muzzle break in open or closed range will create not only an increase in decibels, but a significant amount of percussion experienced, even if you are yards away.

So, to me, it all depends on the application or intent of the weapon's main purpose whether or not I will go with one.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I believe you can unscrew it, and they sell an adapter to go in its place. Basically a thread protector…..

Does CVA offer one in a bull barrel? Seems like they do.
J... Thanks... That's interesting, could be a solution... Although gun I shot was a Ruger single shot and break appeared to be part of barrel.....

Dave... Thanks... I think you are correct.. However I was leaning towards a bolt... Remington has one listed that appears to not have a break... But who knows what the status is with Remington...

Sam you are correct.... Gun I shot was extremely loud...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It’s the main reason I never jumped on the .450 bandwagon. Those muzzle brakes are stupid. Obnoxiously loud and completely unnecessary.

Reactions: Fletch

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wildlife nailed it. I was of the belief they are more for quicker target acquisition on follow up shots. As in, the barrel doesn't rise as high during recoil.

Everyone else was correct too. They sure can make them loud. I have a 223 with muzzle break that is nearly uncomfortable to shoot. Even with hearing protection. Loud sucker.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Too big of a deal being made about ‘em IMO. Then again maybe I should pay more attention to these things. Those guns are loud. The muzzle break will blow your hat off your head if you’re standing 8-10 feet to the side of the gun when it goes off. It will also fog your glasses. Mason will verify those statements. As the shooter, wear ear protection when sighting in. When hunting, insure the muzzle break is outside of an enclosed blind. Otherwise, kill the freakin deer, you won’t notice it being overly loud with one shot in a hunting situation. And unless you make a horrible shot, the deer will be likely laying where it had been standing after just one shot. Deadly deer medicine, great round.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Pulled the Trigger’

The thread above is my coyote bolt action rifle with a muzzle break on it and it is smooth as butter when it comes to staying on target, especially if there are multiple targets in the area.

It's a WIN .308 and there are a number of videos within that thread of me shooting it. You will be able to clearly observer the very little muzzle rise and recoil impulse while shooting it. In fact, the very first field data video is of my wife shooting that rifle out to 300 yards. I assure, she would not have made it through that 10 round magazine without that muzzle break on it.

So, again, muzzle breaks do have their purpose and I have one on that rifle and another that is purposed for more of a defensive and/or competition rifle that is a semi automatic in the WIN .308/762x51. That too is an awesome rifle let me tell ya!

Reactions: Mike