Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

870 sling studs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Says the guy that's still driving 2 GMs lol

And neither of them purchased new. Wait until the POS depreciates like a whore that just turned 30 then buy it. Would you pay $52,000 MSRP for a car that does this in 5 years?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396996155.142286.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396996188.823765.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396996199.675611.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396996237.720916.jpg

Me either. But I'll let some other sucker pay $34,000 depreciation in 74,000 miles and pick it up for a song.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And neither of them purchased new. Wait until the POS depreciates like a whore that just turned 30 then buy it. Would you pay $52,000 MSRP for a car that does this in 5 years?

View attachment 20700
View attachment 20701View attachment 20702View attachment 20703

Me either. But I'll let some other sucker pay $34,000 depreciation in 74,000 miles and pick it up for a song.

I would say that is your own darn fault the grab handles are ripped off. Maybe if you weren't such a wild stud. lol

Maybe I should clarify. We're talking about manual safety's. Not backstrap or trigger safety's designed to be deactivated as part of the normal firing grip.

Im still confused :smiley_confused_vraYou stated that Glocks have a traditional thumb safety and posted a pic of a Glock with a traditional style manual thumb safety( maybe someones Photoshop work via the web ?)

Glocks DO NOT have a safety of this type,that is why I asked if that picture was a joke.Glocks have 3 safetys, only one of which is external and that is the trigger safety

.And just to further add my 2 cents worth. The shell lifter (or elevator as some call it ) that feeds the shell into the chamber.It gets in your way on the 870(pinched fingers when loading anyone?).But neatly tucks away on the 500/835 etc.
I LOVE my Mossberg 835 and like my Mossberg 500 12ga.Im probably going to pick up another 835 in the future and sell my 12ga 500 an get a 20ga 500.I would also like a Browning BPS sooner or later.The 870 is a fine shotgun and I wouldn't call it better or worse.But anyone calling either of them junk is full of it imo.

I also have loved every Glock I have ever owned or shot

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Once you do find the sling stud kit(uncle mikes) the one that goes on the cap is just the stud with a little nut and washer to hold it on. I had to drill the hole bigger on mine to get it to fit so it not being threaded is ok. And since were talking glocks im shooting mine today lol!!! Yeeeeh Haaaaa

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Im still confused :smiley_confused_vraYou stated that Glocks have a traditional thumb safety and posted a pic of a Glock with a traditional style manual thumb safety( maybe someones Photoshop work via the web ?)

Glocks DO NOT have a safety of this type,that is why I asked if that picture was a joke.Glocks have 3 safetys, only one of which is external and that is the trigger safety

.And just to further add my 2 cents worth. The shell lifter (or elevator as some call it ) that feeds the shell into the chamber.It gets in your way on the 870(pinched fingers when loading anyone?).But neatly tucks away on the 500/835 etc.
I LOVE my Mossberg 835 and like my Mossberg 500 12ga.Im probably going to pick up another 835 in the future and sell my 12ga 500 an get a 20ga 500.I would also like a Browning BPS sooner or later.The 870 is a fine shotgun and I wouldn't call it better or worse.But anyone calling either of them junk is full of it imo.

I also have loved every Glock I have ever owned or shot

Glock has produced models with a manual thumb safety. Today I don't believe any models come with a thumb safety but you can still buy a drop in kit to add a thumb safety.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397043109.078065.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397043114.939153.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397043120.298457.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397043125.377597.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397043131.372183.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Once you do find the sling stud kit(uncle mikes) the one that goes on the cap is just the stud with a little nut and washer to hold it on. I had to drill the hole bigger on mine to get it to fit so it not being threaded is ok. And since were talking glocks im shooting mine today lol!!! Yeeeeh Haaaaa

Sweet. I'll check out uncle miles today.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Natchez shooting supplys has the Uncle Mikes Mag/cap swivel set for rem 870 for 16.49 with free shipping until the 14th. Comes with the cap with the stud installed plus the stock stud and the swivels. The part number is UM18002.

Glock has produced models with a manual thumb safety. Today I don't believe any models come with a thumb safety but you can still buy a drop in kit to add a thumb safety.

View attachment 20706View attachment 20707View attachment 20708View attachment 20709View attachment 20710

Yeah logical. Thumb activated. Like they are on their model 700 rifles. Or Ar-15s. Or M-60s, or 1911s. Or Glocks. Or pretty much anything designed smart and doesn't use a safety that belongs on a BB gun.
I guess when I read the quote I misread it?I didn't realize you meant a very VERY select few factory pistols and/or pistols modified with aftermarket parts.

It is my understanding Glock has produced one model with a manual thumb safety which was for the Tasmanian Police.They did make some models with the ILS option which was a keyed type lock in the grip that would disable the firearms.
Pretty damn sure as long as Glock have been sold in the U.S none of the U.S have every come factory with a manual safety.For the most part the US selling Glock design has changed fairly little(albeit some) since they started selling in this country.The kit you speak of is not just a drop in kit,it requires a jig an modification to the frame..And it is not a kit that Glock sells.

Im not going to continue to go back in forth,I will say "your right" and be done with it:smiley_confused_vra

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I guess when I read the quote I misread it?I didn't realize you meant a very VERY select few factory pistols and/or pistols modified with aftermarket parts.

It is my understanding Glock has produced one model with a manual thumb safety which was for the Tasmanian Police.They did make some models with the ILS option which was a keyed type lock in the grip that would disable the firearms.
Pretty damn sure as long as Glock have been sold in the U.S none of the U.S have every come factory with a manual safety.For the most part the US selling Glock design has changed fairly little(albeit some) since they started selling in this country.The kit you speak of is not just a drop in kit,it requires a jig an modification to the frame..And it is not a kit that Glock sells.

Im not going to continue to go back in forth,I will say "your right" and be done with it:smiley_confused_vra

I agree OMO, No need to continue back and forth.

1. Glock produced a factory gun with a manual safety.
2. That safety was thumb activated.

And for bonus points.
1. Someone makes an aftermarket safety.
2. They too made it thumb activated.

When it comes to manual safeties, thumb activated makes far more ergonomic and practical sense than an index finger push button safety.

It's similar to saying a headlight dimmer switch on the floorboard that's left foot activated is far superior to that of one on the steering column that's hand activated. You have a left food doing nothing (thumb) and your hand should be on the steering wheel (trigger) not behind it fumbling for a switch. It just makes more sense.

Huckleberry Finn

When it comes to manual safeties, thumb activated makes far more ergonomic and practical sense than an index finger push button safety.

It's similar to saying a headlight dimmer switch on the floorboard that's left foot activated is far superior to that of one on the steering column that's hand activated. You have a left food doing nothing (thumb) and your hand should be on the steering wheel (trigger) not behind it fumbling for a switch. It just makes more sense.

Maybe you just have small hands? lol! For what its worth, I just picked up my 870 and I still deactivate the safety without shifting my grip. And I still activate the safety with my thumb. Another added mental step, one finger is for boom, another for safe.

Did you get that sling install yet?

I'll even add to your rant - apparently the suppliers have a difficult time understanding where shotguns get used. I've looked in many, many stores in Ohio and can't find one of these: (FnF, Dicks, Belas, Vances, BuckeyeOutoors) But they always have a full stack of ones for rifle cartridges.

shotgun shell holder.jpg

Go to PA where you can actually use a rifle...and they have stacks of these.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Maybe you just have small hands? lol! For what its worth, I just picked up my 870 and I still deactivate the safety without shifting my grip. And I still activate the safety with my thumb. Another added mental step, one finger is for boom, another for safe.

I'll even add to your rant - apparently the suppliers have a difficult time understanding where shotguns get used. I've looked in many, many stores in Ohio and can't find one of these: (FnF, Dicks, Belas, Vances, BuckeyeOutoors) But they always have a full stack of ones for rifle cartridges.

View attachment 20721

I use one of those on my smoke pole for holding my speed loader.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

View attachment 20721

It's not about shifting grip to deactivate the safety, it's about having to use a finger that should be used for the trigger only to deactivate the safety.

Step 1 locate safety with trigger finger.
Step 2 deactivate safety with trigger finger
Step 3 remove finger from safety
Step 4 place finger inside trigger guard
Step 5 lay trigger finger on trigger
Step 6 squeeze.

With a thumb safety, your booger hook is on the bang switch where it belongs when the safety is deactivated by your otherwise not doing anything thumb.

Your index finger is ready to complete step 6 as soon as your thumb completes step 1 and 2. Step 3, 4 and 5 is eliminated. When completed as one fluid motion it's much quicker. Your trigger finger has one place to go and goes there instinctively. Your thumb has one thing to do and does it instinctively. One smooth motion.

Good luck finding a shell holder that isn't some tacticool plastic thing that bolts on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's not about shifting grip to deactivate the safety, it's about having to use a finger that should be used for the trigger only to deactivate the safety.

Step 1 locate safety with trigger finger.
Step 2 deactivate safety with trigger finger
Step 3 remove finger from safety
Step 4 place finger inside trigger guard
Step 5 lay trigger finger on trigger
Step 6 squeeze.

With a thumb safety, your booger hook is on the bang switch where it belongs when the safety is deactivated by your otherwise not doing anything thumb.

Your index finger is ready to complete step 6 as soon as your thumb completes step 1 and 2. Step 3, 4 and 5 is eliminated. When completed as one fluid motion it's much quicker. Your trigger finger has one place to go and goes there instinctively. Your thumb has one thing to do and does it instinctively. One smooth motion.

Good luck finding a shell holder that isn't some tacticool plastic thing that bolts on.

Why the hell do you need to get to pulling the trigger so "quick" on a hunting firearm? And dude, you're talking a difference of milliseconds here. I'll bet just about anything I can get on a bird and squeeze off a round just as fast as you can with your mossy. When you're coming up from the hip that difference in time from one safety deactivation to another makes absolutely no difference in how fast you get your shot off. And if already on target, the difference is so marginal it's pointless to even debate. It's a matter of preference and comfort, Joe... Its got nothing to do with logic or ergonomics on a LONG GUN.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let the dog lie Jimbo lol...I know I can flip my safety off and shoot before I even realize...booger hooks be damned.

Don't have to tell me twice. I'm just saying, yea the sling stud thing is bullshit, but to argue thumb safety over index safety is nothing more than personal opinion and preference, not superiority in engineering. If it were in fact the latter, wouldn't every gun have a thumb safety?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't have to tell me twice. I'm just saying, yea the sling stud thing is bullshit, but to argue thumb safety over index safety is nothing more than personal opinion and preference, not superiority in engineering. If it were in fact the latter, wouldn't every gun have a thumb safety?

Do cars today have foot dimmers for headlights? Nope. Doesn't mean the dimmer on the steering column is more ergonomic or practical though.

Not only the sling stud.
The full and imp chokes not being included.
The receiver not being drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

By the time you add the cost of an 870 over a 500. Plus the added expense of the chokes, sling stud cap, and the saddle we're in the price range of a mossberg 835. An unarguably better gun than the 500 and the 870. Not only does the 835 have all that included, it can shoot 3.5s. Oh. And the safety's in the right place. ;) lol. Never gonna let that go.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do cars today have foot dimmers for headlights? Nope. Doesn't mean the dimmer on the steering column is more ergonomic or practical though.

Not only the sling stud.
The full and imp chokes not being included.
The receiver not being drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

By the time you add the cost of an 870 over a 500. Plus the added expense of the chokes, sling stud cap, and the saddle we're in the price range of a mossberg 835. An unarguably better gun than the 500 and the 870. Not only does the 835 have all that included, it can shoot 3.5s. Oh. And the safety's in the right place. ;) lol. Never gonna let that go.

Lol.

When I bought my 870 it came with all the chokes... Of course that was almost 15 years ago. Everything cheapens as time goes on these days I guess.