Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

870 sling studs.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Don't like the Mossberg safety, but that's just me. I understand you being irked about the sling studs, I think it is stupid they don't include them as well, but I guess not everyone wants them. Other than that, you guys are retarded arguing over which safety is "more better." It's Ford, Chevy...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't like the Mossberg safety, but that's just me. I understand you being irked about the sling studs, I think it is stupid they don't include them as well, but I guess not everyone wants them. Other than that, you guys are retarded arguing over which safety is "more better." It's Ford, Chevy...

Ha! Oh yea?.... Well, you're retarded!

Outdoors62

I'd like to see u take the trigger assembly out of a mossberg clean it and put it back in and do the same thing with an 870 or a bps you are correct about the 870 cheapening but mossbergs have always been cheap pieces of junk if u want a light gun get an Ithaca if u want a heavy reliable gun get a bps mine is 20+ and has never broke or hade a problem I'd also like to see u shot a couple 3 inch out of ur mossberg there terrible guns it take 2 men and a computer take it apart and clean the guns are terrible inaccurate cheap pieces of JUNK I do kinda agree on safety cause I like a tang safety but mossbergs are all still JUNK is never even think about owning one

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'd like to see u take the trigger assembly out of a mossberg clean it and put it back in and do the same thing with an 870 or a bps you are correct about the 870 cheapening but mossbergs have always been cheap pieces of junk if u want a light gun get an Ithaca if u want a heavy reliable gun get a bps mine is 20+ and has never broke or hade a problem I'd also like to see u shot a couple 3 inch out of ur mossberg there terrible guns it take 2 men and a computer take it apart and clean the guns are terrible inaccurate cheap pieces of JUNK I do kinda agree on safety cause I like a tang safety but mossbergs are all still JUNK is never even think about owning one

I've shot three inchers out of it all the time. Killed about every game animal in ohio with it. Never had a problem with the gun, or the one I inherited from my dad that's 30 years old. Cleaning it's easy, you just have to be 2% smarted than the gun. As for accuracy, the rifled slug barrel will hit paper plates at 200 yards. Clean it? You clean your beater guns? I bet I haven't cleaned that mossberg or marlin model 60 in two years. A little PB blaster and off we go The only guns I clean is my autoloader stoeger, accura muzzy, RRA Ar and pistols. A gun I'm going to drag through the swamps, beat brush, or lay in the bottom of the wet kayak makes no sense to clean.

To completely disassemble a Mossberg 500/590/835etc,etc is a EASY task.If you have trouble I really aint sure what to tell ya(Without me getting a forum infraction :smiley_depressive:)..2 men and a computer:smiley_confused_vra.My 8year old can completely disassemble a Mberg 500 20ga.No need for a 3in in a slug in ohio if you ask me but my rifled barrel Mossberg 500 shoots them just fine.Hell I would think a 2 3/4in sabot slug in 20ga has more than enough power for ohio deer.And the 835 loves them 3.5in shells,but my shoulder dont like them much:tantrum:.

As far as accurate goes a Mossberg 835 or its Semi-auto cousin the 935 will pattern better than just about any 870..Why?Well its not a opinion,its by design .If you do some diggin you will see that countless patterns have been seen over the years of many different guns, loads, and chokes, the 835/935 consistently posts higher shot counts. The 835 and 935 have basically the same barrel. Their barrels are unlike any in any other factory 12 gauges(exception maybe the BPS??). There was at one time a single shot also made by Mossberg called the SSI-ONE that also had this unique barrel. Basically the barrel is bored out to 10 gauge bore. The bore of these guns is .775 where the average 12 gauge is around .729. European guns like the Benelli are even tighter. Any time a shotgun has a bore smaller than the shell itself requires a choke ahead of the shell called the Forcing Cone. This forcing cone tends to be abrupt and compresses and deforms shot. Basically the forcing cone is removed from a 835/935 because the bore is so large. In addition, a SMALL bore requires the shot to string out in the barrel since the area is narrower. An 835/935 leaves more room for the shot to exit the gun in a shorter string. These things combine to produce less pressure on shot, less deformed shot, less fliers, and more shot in a smaller area downrange. If terminal performance is your end goal for a shotgun shooting turks(and maybe ducks,dove etc?) than a 835/935 is it. Most of the time they simply shoot tighter, denser patterns than most other 12ga when compared with the exact load/choke combos.

Now just to be clear we are talking terminal performance , If your into looks, pride of ownership, bragging rights etc then your idea of the "Ultimate Shotgun" may be different. To each his own!

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

uploadfromtaptalk1397855532291.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
To completely disassemble a Mossberg 500/590/835etc,etc is a EASY task.If you have trouble I really aint sure what to tell ya(Without me getting a forum infraction :smiley_depressive:)..2 men and a computer:smiley_confused_vra.My 8year old can completely disassemble a Mberg 500 20ga.No need for a 3in in a slug in ohio if you ask me but my rifled barrel Mossberg 500 shoots them just fine.Hell I would think a 2 3/4in sabot slug in 20ga has more than enough power for ohio deer.And the 835 loves them 3.5in shells,but my shoulder dont like them much:tantrum:.

As far as accurate goes a Mossberg 835 or its Semi-auto cousin the 935 will pattern better than just about any 870..Why?Well its not a opinion,its by design .If you do some diggin you will see that countless patterns have been seen over the years of many different guns, loads, and chokes, the 835/935 consistently posts higher shot counts. The 835 and 935 have basically the same barrel. Their barrels are unlike any in any other factory 12 gauges(exception maybe the BPS??). There was at one time a single shot also made by Mossberg called the SSI-ONE that also had this unique barrel. Basically the barrel is bored out to 10 gauge bore. The bore of these guns is .775 where the average 12 gauge is around .729. European guns like the Benelli are even tighter. Any time a shotgun has a bore smaller than the shell itself requires a choke ahead of the shell called the Forcing Cone. This forcing cone tends to be abrupt and compresses and deforms shot. Basically the forcing cone is removed from a 835/935 because the bore is so large. In addition, a SMALL bore requires the shot to string out in the barrel since the area is narrower. An 835/935 leaves more room for the shot to exit the gun in a shorter string. These things combine to produce less pressure on shot, less deformed shot, less fliers, and more shot in a smaller area downrange. If terminal performance is your end goal for a shotgun shooting turks(and maybe ducks,dove etc?) than a 835/935 is it. Most of the time they simply shoot tighter, denser patterns than most other 12ga when compared with the exact load/choke combos.

Now just to be clear we are talking terminal performance , If your into looks, pride of ownership, bragging rights etc then your idea of the "Ultimate Shotgun" may be different. To each his own!

Just a question... If Mossberg's overbore design is so superior, why are they the only manufacturer doing it that way?

Is it truly a better design, or is it their way of standing out from the crowd in hopes of grasping a part of the market?

I'm not trying to be critical... I understand the concept... But I know a BUTTLOAD of serious waterfowl and bird hunters, and only a couple of them shoot Mossberg. I know there's a lot of marketing and hype in the shotgun world, but waterfowlers are some of the most critical shotgun owners you're going to find. Sure, Mossberg is probably in the top 5 for overall sales, but you don't see many serious bird hunters toting one around.

We could go round and round with this just like Ford vs Chevy... But the bottom line is the gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. The most consistent patterns don't mean shit if you don't know how to point and swing a shotgun.

Last edited:
Just a question... If Mossberg's overbore design is so superior, why are they the only manufacturer doing it that way?

Is it truly a better design, or is it their way of standing out from the crowd in hopes of grasping a part of the market?

I'm not trying to be critical... I understand the concept... But I know a BUTTLOAD of serious waterfowl and bird hunters, and only a couple of them shoot Mossberg. I know there's a lot of marketing and hype in the shotgun world, but waterfowlers are some of the most critical shotgun owners you're going to find. Sure, Mossberg is probably in the top 5 for overall sales, but you don't see many serious bird hunters toting one around.

We could go round and round with this just like Ford vs Chevy... But the bottom line is the gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. The most consistent patterns don't mean shit if you don't know how to point and swing a shotgun.

I know that Browning makes a few models that are similar to the Overbored mossbergs(based on the same principles).The BPS is one of them,which I hope to have one of these years.I just wanna be clear I am not saying one is best and the others are junk and I 100% agree with the bottom line being the gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. The most consistent patterns don't mean shit if you don't know how to point and swing a shotgun.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

The same could be asked of why they have a $1,500 lanyard full of plastic around their neck vs a 300 dollar one. Waterfowlers aren't exactly known for being budget conscious. Probably one of the biggest "keeping up with the jones" subset of hunters I've ever seen. Lol. It's understandable why they wouldn't tote a 500 in the marsh. Doing so would likely spur quite the ribbing from their fellow brand jockey buddies. The fact is though, if it goes bang it'll kill everything a $1,500 gun 5x the price will. And it'll do it with extra thick gloves on. ;)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The same could be asked of why they have a $1,500 lanyard full of plastic around their neck vs a 300 dollar one. Waterfowlers aren't exactly known for being budget conscious. Probably one of the biggest "keeping up with the jones" subset of hunters I've ever seen. Lol. It's understandable why they wouldn't tote a 500 in the marsh. Doing so would likely spur quite the ribbing from their fellow brand jockey buddies. The fact is though, if it goes bang it'll kill everything a $1,500 gun 5x the price will. And it'll do it with extra thick gloves on. ;)

Ehhh... To a point. If he toted that 500 into the marsh and gave em all a lesson in shooting I think the ribbing would stop pretty damn quick. And while I agree with you regarding waterfowlers being notorious brand jockeys, the high dollar duck and goose calls ARE superior to the cheaper molded calls. Oh and extra thick gloves are shittier than nice thin Under Armour gloves. lmao

Outdoors62

.And the 835 loves them 3.5in shells,but my shoulder dont like them much:tantrum:
That's what I'm sayin they are light cheaply built guns Brownings are great and reliable and have a little weight so I don't hurt but if u want a light gun then get an Ithaca I hate mossbergs they are terrible guns they are the high points if the shotgun world

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
.And the 835 loves them 3.5in shells,but my shoulder dont like them much:tantrum:
That's what I'm sayin they are light cheaply built guns Brownings are great and reliable and have a little weight so I don't hurt but if u want a light gun then get an Ithaca I hate mossbergs they are terrible guns they are the high points if the shotgun world

Why do you own a Mossberg then?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Yet another ding against the 870 and a win for Mossberg. The front bead on a 870 is pressed in, replacement requires pulling or cutting the factory bead, tapping a hole, then screwing in the desired after market bead. Mossberg is a 5-40 threaded bead, unscrew and replace.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gee I missed this post last year. I have no problem grabbing a Mossberg 500 shotgun and using it. I do have 2 Mossberg 500 pumps and neither have been a problem for 30 yrs plus I gave a Mossberg 500 to my son when he turned 16 and that was 32 yrs. ago.
I like the Mossberg top thumb safety over all the trigger guard safeties. But I must admit I replaced the plastic safety button with metal ones.
There is a good reason Mossberg makes more of the series 500 model than any other shotgun made. It serves the purpose for millions of shooters.

I shot an 835 until the action actually wore out and although it was a great gun I can say after some use I started to have noticeable loss in consistency of its pattern. Though per this discussion it is a very simple and practical gun both in for its price as well as its quality. (To the guy who stated about its cleaning I am confused to what the hell he was doing as the barrel disassembles for cleaning in a manner that a small child could understand)

I personally though have moved on to a New England Firearms H&R Pardoner Pump. My personal opinion is it the best quality gun that one can buy without breaking the $400+ Market. I paid $275 for mine a few years ago brand new out of the box......fast forward 2 years after that one got stolen and I paid $275 for another brand new....both of which have been the most consistent shotguns I have ever shot/owned this being over even a Benelli SuperNova. Also to say that it seems to be assembled of quality parts unlike the mossbergs I have had which seem to have the noticeable "shake" to them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Yet another ding against the 870 and a win for Mossberg. The front bead on a 870 is pressed in, replacement requires pulling or cutting the factory bead, tapping a hole, then screwing in the desired after market bead. Mossberg is a 5-40 threaded bead, unscrew and replace.

Wah wah wah. Lol. You don't need to remove the factory bead to use an aftermarket bead. Just get a tube-style fiberoptic that sits over the rib like a saddle. But I guess if you prefer just a single bead then yea you've got some work to do replacing one on an 870. But to be 100% honest, I'd much rather shoot an 870 with no bead at all than shoot any mossy 500.
Only a wimp wears extra thick gloves to hunt birds... lmao
This ^^^!