Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adventures of the Coon Huntin Coonass.

its pretty funny i used to coon hunt with a guy name badger , and a guy named hicks , both of them were into high dollar dogs , they would get a dog if it didnt do what they wanted in a few nights they would either shoot it or pound it , when i found out they were shooting them i told em to bring em to me , i trained coon dogs and rabbit dogs since i was 8 , anyway some of my best dogs came from them , it may have took a few months to a year , but i got em on the right track so to speak , won alot of night trials with em , dont give up on em joe the hunt is in em ya just gotta find a way to get the hunt out of em, my best memory of training dogs was a young blue tick pup named bluebell , she would not tree , she would trail with the best of them but once she got to the tree she would just sit there and wimper , well after a few times of that i was ready to smack her in the back of the head , but instead i got down on all fours and bawled tree wit hthe rest of the hounds we had , she kinda looked at me like what the hell ya doing , i pulled her over to the tree and talked to her like she was my kid , ya gotta do it like this and i would bawl tree beside her , over the next 20 mintues after her watching me bawl tree and the others bawl tree she finnally opened up on the tree , few more drops and i had her bawling tree by herself , i always gave them jerky treats for treeing , kinda like a little incentive for doing good . god i miss training dogs , youll have to let me tag along sometime this year joe

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
its pretty funny i used to coon hunt with a guy name badger , and a guy named hicks , both of them were into high dollar dogs , they would get a dog if it didnt do what they wanted in a few nights they would either shoot it or pound it , when i found out they were shooting them i told em to bring em to me , i trained coon dogs and rabbit dogs since i was 8 , anyway some of my best dogs came from them , it may have took a few months to a year , but i got em on the right track so to speak , won alot of night trials with em , dont give up on em joe the hunt is in em ya just gotta find a way to get the hunt out of em, my best memory of training dogs was a young blue tick pup named bluebell , she would not tree , she would trail with the best of them but once she got to the tree she would just sit there and wimper , well after a few times of that i was ready to smack her in the back of the head , but instead i got down on all fours and bawled tree wit hthe rest of the hounds we had , she kinda looked at me like what the hell ya doing , i pulled her over to the tree and talked to her like she was my kid , ya gotta do it like this and i would bawl tree beside her , over the next 20 mintues after her watching me bawl tree and the others bawl tree she finnally opened up on the tree , few more drops and i had her bawling tree by herself , i always gave them jerky treats for treeing , kinda like a little incentive for doing good . god i miss training dogs , youll have to let me tag along sometime this year joe

I tell ya what.... I talked it over with George today. We are going to give JR some 1 on 1 time over the next month.

This dog has it i can tell. He is just being a bonehead.

As a pup he would run and tree coon by himself at 6 months.
George had back surgery and gave the pup to a dog jockey to sell.
The dog jockey either didn't hunt him or hunted him with an aggressive dog once or twice that beat his ass off a tree.
The dog jockey had him for almost a year..

Today... The dog will kill a dropped coon in a heartbeat. No nip and tug dance around. .. I mean full face in there, latch on and not let go till it's dead. He isn't scared to get bit by a coon and doesn't even whimper when one get a hold of him.

He will tree coon and jack the tree like a crazy mofo if he can see the coon. (like i put a dead one on a limb 6 foot up)
If he can't see the coon he will not tree. Even if another dog is treeing. he will jump around and chop hard at everything but the tree.

The other night he did follow a coon i drug and he treed when he found it. That's not hunting though. That's being dropped on a hot trail.

His problem is he will not hunt. He'll run around, stop and watch us, but never go more than 100 yards if another dog isn't with him.. Even when another dog is with him he will go off with that dog. But will not strike or tree.

Both of his parents are finished out Grand Nite Champs. And one each of his grandparents I think. His mom sold for 2,500 and his dad over 3,000.

So here is the deal Uglycat. We're going to mess with this dog for about another month with a bunch of 1 on 1.. To be honest George would just as soon shoot him now. But i can see it in this dog. He has a hell of a mouth and a great nose when he wants to. I think all he needs is someone to work with him and just him..

So here is the deal.. If he doesn't turn on for us in the next month, and you say you can turn a bonehead dog. I'll let you try. If you turn him, then here's what we'll do. Get him hunting like his papers say he can and we'll sell him, what he fetches half is yours for the training. Not a bad deal IMO considering that dude could fetch between 1000-2500 if he hunts like his papers says he should. Or we shuck him for less if he is still half assed. If not and he doesn't turn, send him back sometime next year and he'll get a red fern... What do you think?

to me it sounds like he just needs reminded , do you guys work em with roll cages or fresh coon , i used to have a dog like that , up until he was about a year old he would hunt by himself , we took him out with a few other dogs from michigan and when he beat the michigan dogs to the tree on of them northerner dogs gave him a good beatin , for the next year he would not go near a tree , he would sniff the tree bawl once or twice then turn tail and run back to me when the other dogs got close , or if there was no other dogs he would run up to the tree make sure the coon was there then come back away from the tree about 30 yards and bawl tree from a distance, well i had to start himm all over like he was a puppy , go through his whole training all over again , kinda like a refresher course, the jockey most likely didnt hunt him like he should have , joe you know this but other guys on here might not , a good dog isnt just a season dog , you have to work em all year to keep em in shape , mind and body , we ran our dogs 12 months a year atleast 3 times a week , then the catfish bug got ahold of me and i faded from dogs , but to me it sounds like he just needs a refresher course to build his memory back up

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So last night about 8:15 George and I are putting down the road to make our first drop of the night. We're bitchin bout women, chewin backey and complaining about that JR pup.. So we pull up to the property and there in the middle of the blacktop road stands a big boar coon. Huh... So we pull up closer and it looks like it had been rolled by a car.. He was bowed up growling but just slowly walking.. As i was standing there a car came over the hill and slowed down.. It was a Lexus LX-330.. A pretty blond in a ponytail and a scarf rolled down the window and said

"OMG poor thing. Did you hit it?"
No mam he was just standing here... He's likely sick...
"Well what are you going to do? I live up the road here and can go get our cat kennel"
Well hun, its best to let nature take it's course. Those things carry all kinds of diseases. It wouldn't be smart to try and catch it.. Not much that can be done for him...
"Oh dear, What a shame.."
Yeah.. Poor Guy.. We're just going to shoo him off the road and into the woods...
"OK" She said with a smile as she drove off...

I walked to the back of the truck and watched her tailights go over the hill out of sight..... Giggled slightly, Shook my head, and hit the latch on the dog box!! I flipped that JR Dog out of there... YAAAAAAHHHHHWWWWWWW JR Bawled as he saw that coon... The coon made a run for it... To bad he chose the wide open field rather than the woods..... And it was on... Dogs got the coon, coons got the dog, JR backs up and gets him again only to get a cheek full of teeth... The coons a growlin and JR a workin, there's fur and corn stubble a flying... Then with a big old crunch it's over just like that. JR got a good grab on him...

I'm sure that pretty little thing went home and dreamed sweet dreams of the two coal miners who stopped to help a poor sick coon cross the road... :smiley_blink::smiley_blink:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Your a good man Joe, doing public service like that hahahaha.... Di you get her #????? That is to report that it survivied and lived hapily ever after hahahaha....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Haha thats good jack, im with J why the heck didnt you get her number?

High maintenance women boys... Been there done that for a decade...

Now.. If she would have rolled up, jumped out and said,

"WTF you waiting on! Flip that dog out and lets see that counterfeit take a whippin..."

I would hit one knee and asked her to marry me on the spot... :smiley_blink:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
High maintenance women boys... Been there done that for a decade...

Now.. If she would have rolled up, jumped out and said,

"WTF you waiting on! Flip that dog out and lets see that counterfeit take a whippin..."

I would hit one knee and asked her to marry me on the spot... :smiley_blink:

That's funnier than the damn story! LOL!!!

Only you Joe. Funny ass stuff right there. Good training though. Gotta seize the opportunity! LOl