Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adventures of the Coon Huntin Coonass.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Seems like The Captain is closer than `ole Joe.

Look who's doing the coaching now. :smiley_clap:

HA... If ole joe wanted to roll up on some poon again it wouldn't take long at all. Matter of fact, I bet she could be there at around 6 or 7 tonight :smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well it's been a month or longer since we dropped the dogs due to all the snow.. When they saw me walking towards the kennels with my brush bibs, coon light, and all the leashes over my shoulders, they were going nuts! They tried to drag me to the truck but i put a stop to that real quick and soon they were handling like a charm again once they realized what a dog leash feels like across their rear again.

They loaded fine and off we went.. I could tell the young pockets dog ha some fire tonight so we decided to drop her with the 6.5 year old Ben dog first and leave JR in the box.

First Drop.
6.5 Yo Male Ben Dog, and 1.5 Yo Female Pockets pup.
They shot down in the woods with pockets close behind. Been Struck (located coon scent - one or two big bawl barks) And then Ben treed not 10 seconds later (constant chop barks).. We walked in and like always the pockets bitch was there runing around and checking everything out, she wouldn't tree. Nothing new, it's what she's been doing. The light bulb will come on eventually. The tree ended up being a big den tree with coon on the inside. We got them back to the truck and headed out to Drop number 2.

Second Drop.
Dropped them and of they went.. After about 3 minutes i see pockets coming back down the farm lane. I yell at her to get in the woods and quit bulshitting.. Off she goes into the woods.. Hmmmm.. Looks like she has broke ranks with Ben and is out by herself. Maybe he juked her and she lost him.. Ben strikes trail and is soon treed.. But something isn't right. He's not hooked (committed) and will hush then chop a couple times then hush.. He could either be on multiple coon and hasn't made his mind up which one to go after. Or he could be running garbage.. He trees again and sounds hooked.. Hard chop barks with every breath.. Problem is there is a small creek ditch with about 7 inches of running water in it that's about 6 feet wide. No problem i have my boots on.. First step solid. Second step Solid.. Third step in the middle and i sink above my knee. Instinctively i step again ad that one sinks too.. Hell! I'm only in 7 inches of running water but I'm up to my nuts over my boots.. I manage to woller out and ben comes Unhooked and is working back to the truck.. Fuggin mut! I jump the creek and meet him at the truck..

Third Drop.
Both dogs take off but Ben goes right and pockets goes left.. Sum beech. That dogs hunting! :) She lets out three big chops.. Hmmmm. WTF.. She's never done that.. Maybe she's hung in a fence or worried that's she's separated... Then that pockets bitch starts HAMMERING.. Son of a Bitch! That pocket dogs treed!!! Ben lets out a big Bawl and soon joins on tree... We get closer and they are split treed about 30 yards apart.. This could mean they have 2 coon.. NICE.. I see pockets has a coon in the timber, praises and pettings. She is just HAMMERING on the tree! That dog has a mouth, so loud it almost hurts your ears. .. We shine and shine and shine Bens tree.. That fucker is lying! NO COON in Bens tree.. lmao.. He knows he got beat so he came over and grabbed some timber.. lmao.. I hook him to his lead and he growls at me as i pull him off his tree... This fugger is NOT Happy.. lol.. I kick him in the ass for growling and take him over to within about 5 feet of pockets tree and tie him back.. pockets is still hammering with every breath!! Awesome.... We pet, praise and talk her up... The light bulb came on... I look back at ben and he has this pissed off fugg you look on his face.. lmao... Ole man just got schooled and he's not happy...

Fourth Drop.
Booth dogs head off into a small timber that's about 10 acres and pockets breaks from Ben again.. We're both rolling laughing and beaming with pride to see this pockets bitch put the SHAME to ole Ben. As it turns out though. No coon. Pockets comes back to the truck first, then Ben shows back up.. We load up and head to the house...

The JR Dog never left the box.. That's ok. When a dog finally starts to "get it" the last thing you want to do is leave it in the box the next drop... But it'll do JR some good.. Get him fired up and want to prove himself too.. We'll see. Sometimes the best training is to back off and let them grow up a little more and not hunt them..

So only 1 coon treed tonight that wasn't a den, but it was all pockets! She treed in front of that Ben dog so fast it made his head spin.. He was so messed up in the head he went to her area and grabbed a tree then LIED his ass off. lmao...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like a great time out in the woods for the youngster :D.

You want to watch all 3 of them go nuts on coon just bring them up this way anytime buddy. As long as I let the land owners know we are going to be in the area they won't say a word if something falls out of the trees lol.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I figured them coon would have been out hard last night.

I remember when we started taking new dogs with "Rippy" and he would pull lame shit just like that.

Dog never lied until he had other dogs around him.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Early deer season I couldnt walk a 100 yards without running into at least 4 of them. I remember all in one day, a coon fight broke out in a tree right next to me as I was walking to my stand. Then 40 yards further, a coon started growling and charged me out of the corn. You would have thought it was a mountain lion the way he charged out of that stuff. Scared the hell out of me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I smellz like coon dogs.

Had a good time bud.. Ole Ben got his moneys worth with that coon that decided to make a jump for it.. Damn thing almost landed on us. lol.. Ben scooped him up and imediatly showed him why that was a bad idea.. The coon then returned the advice. Had a heck of a scrap there for a second. You even got to see Ben get chewed on pretty good by that big boar coon.. First time i've ever seen him get cut by a coon.. That damn thing had his ear bleeding, bit his foot and that was bleeding, had a good cut from a bite on his nostril, and chewed up his jowls pretty good.. Poor walker dog looked like somebody shot him from 30 yards with a load of 7 1/2.. He didn't back down though and had his face in there the whole time until he gave that coon the big crunch. I thought ole Ben had him a new fur hat then necklace then ear ring there for a bit. Heck, that coon even got a good bite on that pockets bitch.. Dumb dog was way back there in that swamp and treed the baddest motha fuggin coon in the woods. :smiley_crocodile:I guess swamps are like the ghetto of the woods.. All the hard ass motha fuggas live in there. Tough ole swamp coon.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Hell of an experience. Poor dog took an ass whoopin. Thanks for bringing them out there. George is a hell of a guy as well.

lmao I wanted to die laughing when pockets just randomly appeared out of that slough, she acted like she didnt know what the heck was goin on.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Jackalope ,you should get in touch with the guys at F&T. They are always looking for guys in Ohio to tag along with and film there hunts. I have a pup that should be pumped by Sept.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope ,you should get in touch with the guys at F&T. They are always looking for guys in Ohio to tag along with and film there hunts. I have a pup that should be pumped by Sept.

Ain't nobody filming nothing if they're hunting with us.. ;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Shouldn't even tell anyone we took the dogs out last night.

Apparently dogs don't wanna hunt when you got a bitch in heat in the truck. lol.. Messed with their head. 4 drops 3 trees and not a single coon.