Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Age of a Motor

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I have my wife now convinced that we NEED a boat. Looking to get something in the 16’6”-18’6” aluminum bass boat, something along the lines of a Tracker 175. Leaning towards buying used, but that will depend on what my financing looks like once the bank lady calls me back. I’d rather someone else pay the depreciation rather than me buying new and losing $10k of value as soon as it rolls off the lot. While looking at used boats, the ages ranges significantly. I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic of any kind. My question is, how old of a motor is too old? Obviously a 2015-newer with less than 100 hours will hopefully need less work done if any compared to really anything older than that ( at least thats what i can tell from the research that I’ve done.). And i will follow up, do you prefer a 2-stroke or 4-stroke (Maintenance, cost, length of life, etc)? I like the sound and smell of a 2-stroke, but like the idea of a 4-stroke more. Any input is appreciated.

Reactions: MoonLab

Bigcountry40

Gern is in a different boating class than myself, I see a lot of older 2 strokes from late 70s all the way up to the late 90s on the public boat ramp circuit. If my motor dies tomorrow or boat sinks tomorrow i have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I have seen some really good deals on used boats on the Michigan outdoor forum here recently

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
What body of water you fishing it primarily?
Mostly inland lakes, NW Ohio, SE/ SW MI, Erie marinas, and wind permitting near shore smallmouth on Lake St. Clair. With my schedule I will be fishing alone quite a bit, so I don’t feel the need for a big boat, and anytime I want to fish with more than one buddy on bigger water, we’ll take their 20’+ glass boat lol.

Reactions: Bigcountry40

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kind of like Jon said, it all really depends on your intentions and your budget. There are plenty of guys out there fishing in the rivers or around the reefs in the spring, fishing out of a 30 year old boat with a 40 year old 2-stroke motor on the back. It can be done and it'll get you from point A to point B... usually. lol

Me, personally, if I were buying a boat right now I would get an 18-21 footer, aluminum. Deep V hull, with a 4-stroke outboard. I would be shopping for something less than 20 years old... preferably less than 10. Unless you personally know the seller, you usually have no freaking clue how well or how poorly a boat was maintained. I hate to say it... But the majority of boat owners out there are not good at keeping up with preventative maintenance. So the older the boat you buy, the higher the likelihood it was neglected or abused at some point during its lifespan.

My advice... Pony up and buy something nice. Make it a long term investment. Make it something your wife will enjoy going out on the water with you.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
@jagermeister those are my thoughts as well. I considered a deep V since i do like jigging the bay in the spring for ‘eyes, but I like the thought of a higher and bigger deck on the front and back of the boat, especially since bass fishing will be my primary pursuit, and some of the places i plan to dump it in to wouldn’t be best for a deep v i dont think. But i will say, I have done 0 research on the difference in how much water each needs to float.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I will also mention, if I were to buy used, I would like to keep it under $20K, new would likely be in the $30k range. Both numbers could fluctuate depending on my rate, but i do plan to make double payments as money allows to avoid as much interest as possible. As far as motor size goes, I think I am looking for a 50-75hp, I don‘t need to go faster than 40ish mph, I’m not fishing the elite series (yet). Friend of mine had a 20’ glass boat with a 300hp on the back and we would go 73mph on tourney day, way more than I’ll ever need, certainly intimidating Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The downside of older model motors is they are old. The upside is you can figure out how to work on them. The newer motors… I don’t think you can. I just look at them and wonder. Older two stroke motors seem to last forever. Just my opinion based on my experiences.

Reactions: TinyTucky

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you’re sure you want an aluminum boat, put an ultrex trolling motor or similar. Motor guide and garmin make them as well. That spot lock will pay dividends down the road when you encounter windy days.
What size motor you wanting to have on the back of it? Yamaha and Honda make them for the long haul, but they are expensive when they break, which they all eventually do. Mercury is reliable but their breakdown issues are a little higher. Fuel injections the way too go, easier starts and on fuel. Not a whole lot of experience with 4 strokes, but the guys who have them love them. A little more servicing too them, but I wouldn’t let that stop me.

Bigcountry40

The downside of older model motors is they are old. The upside is you can figure out how to work on them. The newer motors… I don’t think you can. I just look at them and wonder. Older two stroke motors seem to last forever. Just my opinion based on my experiences.
Even if I pay someone 1k every 5 years to work on my 2 stroke, that's heck of a lot cheaper than buying something newer. I have a 2015 polaris 4 wheeler and I basically can't work on it other than basic things like brakes etc. The older 4 wheelers from the 90's and 2000's I can wrench on all day or take it to Greasy Chuck who lives three corn fields over lol.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Luck of the draw when buying anything used... Might run forever with no issues, then again could be a nightmare.... I bought an 88 22 ft. Walk-around without an engine.... Then bought a 95 Mercury 200 hp. and hung it on the back... To this day I've never had an issue with boat or motor... Never a tuneup, nothing, other than put a new water pump in, and it was working just changed it to be safe... Been 10 miles off shore in the ocean and numerous trips to Lake Ontario, runs like a champ... Haven't used it in several years, but she started right up last year... Not using it much, so going up for sale in April....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buyer beware, especially used. Find a trustworthy mechanic. Get a compression and a leak down test on the motor. If the water pump is a few years old, have them change it. If it doesn’t have a water pressure gauge, have one installed. That’ll save you $$$ down the road.

Bigcountry40

481B8A9D-CBF6-48F7-9B69-7F335C76F24C.jpeg
This seems reasonable, and bass pro shop is typically overpriced

Reactions: TinyTucky