Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anchor points

Creamer

Athens
What are you all using as your anchor point?

For nearly two years, I have been tip of middle finger (shoot 3-under) to the corner of my mouth. In the last several months I added positioning the first knuckle of my thumb to the point of my jaw. I honestly never felt like I was at my "maximum" full draw. I felt like, when I drew, I had to let up slightly to hit the corner of my mouth. Once season has finally ended, I have started experimenting. I've been hooking the crotch of my thumb on the point of my jaw for several days, and it feels MUCH better. I feel like I am in a more stable position at full draw, if that makes sense? Arrows are flying great, also. My accuracy/consistency has been a little up and down, still getting used to it. I'm shooting more arrow groups lately, also, which I usually don't do. I'll cut back to single arrows soon. I have a tendency to start speeding up the process when I shoot groups, which is why I don't do it. My focus is better on single arrows. I'll have to self film to confirm but it feels like my finishing position is better, too. My release hand doesn't feel like it's flying out as much.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My current anchor points are the end of my index finger to the corner of my mouth (I shoot 2-under... not split... like 3-under but my ring finger is off the string), and the crotch of my thumb goes to the point of my jaw as well. That seems to work really well for me. I used a clicker for a couple months but found that I really didn't need it if I kept my anchor consistent, and it was just an extra distraction I didn't benefit from all that much. So I got rid of it.

It's funny... For me at least, my traditional archery experience has been a constant evolution. My form today is vastly improved from my early days shooting. I'm much more educated now on the in's and out's of traditional archery than I was in the beginning. I can actually identify problems and areas to improve upon now. It's the natural progression for someone trying something new... especially when there's no coach right there to work with you.

Creamer

Athens
I tried the ring finger off the string a few times a while back. Let's just say it didn't go well for me. :ROFLMAO: I was curious to hear what others are using, I figure it's got to be variable. Different strokes for different folks kind of thing. In reading what you wrote, I'd bet you have bigger hands than I do. When I get in the corner of my mouth, I can't quite get the crotch of my thumb onto my jaw. I'll try to get an overhead video sometime soon. I'll be interested to see how it looks on video and see if my release position improved with the new anchor like it feels. The video doesn't lie.

Jamie

Ohio
One of the best trad shots I knew anchored on a tooth.. I gave up on the corner on my mouth because it can move too much. I anchor my top finger on my cheek bone but I shoot one under at full draw. I draw split or crab claw
this is where my anchor has migrated to in the last year. it is more consistent for me, my middle finger is still in line with the corner of my mouth, but past it just a little. this anchor point actually forces me to pull the bow a little further, which improved my back tension since I'm pinching my shoulder blades together better.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
this is where my anchor has migrated to in the last year. it is more consistent for me, my middle finger is still in line with the corner of my mouth, but past it just a little. this anchor point actually forces me to pull the bow a little further, which improved my back tension since I'm pinching my shoulder blades together better.
Well I’d like to check this new form out along with suicidal shad... don’t get too busy

Reactions: Jamie

Creamer

Athens
40 yard groups are starting to get a little more consistent.

It won't be long and a groundhog will get dumb and den under our shed. Happens every year. I've killed 2 of them the last 2 years with the recurve. Time to get ready.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Creamer

Athens
Got shot #1 on Wednesday, and they gave me a target dot sticker. Probably not what it was meant for, but it's what I did with it.

After my wife lovingly said "But you missed it," I had to go put a better mark on it. For the record, I did cut the edge of it on that earlier group. It cut the line. There was a GD force field around that sucker for about 10 minutes. Kept getting close but always just off of it.

Finally...

Creamer

Athens
In the last week or so, I'd say I was shooting the best I ever have with a stickbow. Then, the past two days happened. Talk about the wheels coming off the wagon. I went from tight groups to putting the struggle in strugglestick. The past two days, if my life depended on a 3-arrow group in a 6" circle at 18 yards, just kill me and get it over with. I knew it was a me thing. Lack of focus, internal clock speeding up, then it really got into my head. I went out this morning and shot a lot better. I felt like I knew where arrows were going, which was not happening the past two days.

To put the last two days into perspective, I trashed an arrow with a complete whiff at the 18-in-1 from 18 yards. The arrow skipped off the patio, ricocheted off a chair base, and hit the retaining wall. :mad::cry:

Jamie

Ohio
well, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, lol.

part of the game, brother. sometimes you have to shoot through the bad days, sometimes you just have to unstring your bow and go fishing for a while. having done one of these two things often over the last 35 years, I have to add that I've been shooting great, with confidence like I have not had in several years, and without pain. all of the adjustments to my form have finally started coming together without me "thinking" about them. freeing up my brain to focus on where arrow needs to go. shooting is enjoyable again. :)

In the last week or so, I'd say I was shooting the best I ever have with a stickbow. Then, the past two days happened. Talk about the wheels coming off the wagon. I went from tight groups to putting the struggle in strugglestick. The past two days, if my life depended on a 3-arrow group in a 6" circle at 18 yards, just kill me and get it over with. I knew it was a me thing. Lack of focus, internal clock speeding up, then it really got into my head. I went out this morning and shot a lot better. I felt like I knew where arrows were going, which was not happening the past two days.

To put the last two days into perspective, I trashed an arrow with a complete whiff at the 18-in-1 from 18 yards. The arrow skipped off the patio, ricocheted off a chair base, and hit the retaining wall. :mad::cry:
Beautiful bow you got there!

Reactions: Creamer

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Creamer, when I’m struggling I find my mind racing a bit and I actually close my eyes for a 2 count and then go through my shot. The eyes are just huge ass receptors of data and can overload the mind a bit when it’s busy. Closing them shuts down some input receptors and allows you to get control of the racing mind. Give it a try

Last edited:

Creamer

Athens
Tis the season for new things. I have been wanting to try an elevated rest, also. Once I got this on and bumped up my thread nocking points, I was able to send some down range.

I've been very impressed. Arrow flight has been great. It seemed to take 5 or 6 groups to get used to it, get comfortable with it. Arrows have been flying really well ever since.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The trad vanes should perform much better with that flipper. Despite their claims, I’ve had shitty results shooting the trad vanes off the shelf. Curious to hear you progress with this and find out whether you stick with it or go back to shelf-shooting.

Creamer

Athens
The trad vanes should perform much better with that flipper. Despite their claims, I’ve had shitty results shooting the trad vanes off the shelf. Curious to hear you progress with this and find out whether you stick with it or go back to shelf-shooting.

That is a little surprising to hear. I was about 50/50 on the trad vanes vs feathers. I shot both a lot until about 6-8 months ago and I pretty much went to all trad vanes. I didn't have issues (that I could tell) off the shelf. I'm still shooting 3 5", I haven't tried the 4-fletch config that it seems so many people have gone to. My only complaints with them are 1) they suck to fletch up compared to feathers and 2) they tear easily. I use the Gorilla gel on them, and it works, but it's just slow. With feathers and tape you can bang out arrows like crazy.

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
One of the reasons I wanted to give the weather rest a try is arrow security in the stand. On my Sage, I had slapped one of those QuikLok arrow holders on it for hunting season so I didn't have any arrows fall off from the stand. I resisted doing that to my Stalker. I just didn't want to stick that on the side of my riser. Well, sure enough, I dropped arrows 3 or 4 times last season. The cupped shape of the Weather Rest I am hoping will help in that regard, at least a little.