Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another house build thread

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Spend the extra coin for 2x6 walls, quality windows, and closed cell spray foam insulation. Once the house is built and the walls are closed in, you don’t want to have any regrets and you certainly won’t be tearing anything down to do it over. Buy once, cry once. The closed cell foam adds insulation obviously but also adds a tremendous amount of rigidity and strength to your exterior walls.

You mentioned that the “septic guy” had been out to the property. What kind of options were you given and what direction are you heading with it?
2x6 is the plan as is the spray foam.

Septic tank and leach system, we had favorable soil to not need anything but the basics and probably a 120' run towards the property line on the left of the image above (behind the house site)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
2x6 is the plan as is the spray foam.

Septic tank and leach system, we had favorable soil to not need anything but the basics and probably a 120' run towards the property line on the left of the image above (behind the house site)
Good deal. Lucky for you to have such good soil on the property. Pay attention to the system design… I highly recommend Infiltrator chambers for the leach lines instead of pipe/gravel. Most installers prefer them as well. Easier installation and more system longevity due to the larger “void space” inside the chambers.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Our new house has a metal roof, we love the sound of the rain, it isn’t too loud.

Our old house that we built in 1996 had hardi plank siding, give it a good couple of coats and it will last 10-15 years, the change was the color faded some.

Here are the things I would do differently to our house.

1. Make the master closet bigger, if a walk in, big enough for an island in the middle, much less wasted space and it will never be big enough.

2. would have made the house a few feet deeper.

3. Would have made the Mudroom 2 feet wider

4. basement walls above ground need to R15 here, night be more where you are, my superior walls rep should have told me this so I didn’t have to come back and install extra insulation on those parts

5. I would have done an areobarrier air sealing system, I still may, I had a hard time finding a company to do it.

6. Floor drain for the hot water heater overflow and potential water softener, softener is going on the well house now because of the lack of floor drain in the basement.

****get references of contractors, if they are
Hesitant about giving them, that is all you
need to know ****

Some things I have learned.

1. If your rooms are sized right you will have less material waste

2. I made all my outlet branch circuits 20A, was not much more just the difference in price of 12 gauge wire over 14 gauge.

3. take lots of time figuring out where things are going to go on the walls, furniture, dressers, picture, TVs etc.

4. See how the sun shines in reference to the orientation of your house. I knew I wanted my deck on the north end of the house.

5. I would highly highly recommend a heated tile floor in the master Bath, it is by far one of our favorite things. I installed Schluter Ditra Heat it is a great system that uses its own membrane. The programmable controller is amazing, it learns how it takes to get the floor to the heat you want. So you tell when you want it warm not when to come on.

6. Get Toto Drake toilets, not really anymore expensive but they work great, we have yet to clog one up.

7. I would do a manifold water distribution system, love mine, no fittings in the walls, only at the manifold and then at the fixture, have to use pex a because it is more flexible.

8. Totally agree with high quality windows, we jeld-wen and are happy with them.

9. If you are doing a deck, StoneDek system is a little more but should last the life of the house, no wood decking to stain and eventually replace.

10. Think of anything you might do or add in the future and make provisions now. I should have put in stub outs for a bar sink in the basement.

11. Go with variable speed air handlers and atleast 15 SEER units.

12. Put a hose bib on the every side of the house

13. don’t do a prefinished hardwood floor, that is what we did, it is ok but if you are doing solid floors a floor that is finished after installation gives a better finished product in my opinion.

14. I am really happy with my superior wall system for the basement, after the basement was dug, stone installed, the installed the basement in 6 hours

15. With the new circuit breaker arc fault requirements not all brands are equal, some trip easily with light timers, even vacuum clears etc. I talked to several electricians and they told me Eaton was the best, no issues for us yet.

16. if you have a deep freezer they don’t work well on arc fault breakers and need their own circuit, after my final electrical I had to change out a breaker because the deep freezer would just keep tripping it.

17. Budget for all those new LED bulbs they are not cheap.

18. If any switches will be dimmers make sure they will work with LED bulbs and that the bulbs are dimmable.

19. Research research research, I know that I have more time researching everything I did than I do in actually doing it.

follow this guy on YouTube, lots of neat new products and reviews.

Ok those some things that still run through my head

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My brother went in above the planned house site and cleaned up the woods. I just planted 13 white pine trees and he's going to cut down a few more cherry trees to open up the canopy so they'll grow well. The idea is to create a visual break so we don't see the house above us.

I broadcast seeded cover, oats and chicory with the suggestion of the merit seed guy.
20220605_132015.jpg
20220605_132026.jpg
20220605_132032.jpg

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Welcome to jungle, don't stress, it will get done, enjoy the process. It is a big baby sitting project, maybe with housing starts slowing down, it will not be as crazy as it has been

Reactions: 5Cent
You've got some solid advice, and although I may be a little late to the party, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Be sure to prioritize the things that you can't change or update later. You can always update cosmetics, but can't (easily) update structure. Here's my list of must do's:

Basement: Minimum 9 ft ceilings, 10ft is even better. Those utilities and ducts take up more space than you think, and in reality an "8ft basement ceiling" is actually closer to 7'8, and that's without considering the box out for supply ducts, etc. Taller ceilings and larger windows (if a walkout) makes a basement not feel like a basement. Place basement bathroom rough outs in a specific location. If your breaker panel is in the garage, then add a subpanel in the basement. If the main breaker is in the basement, add a subpanel in the garage.

Garage: Go deep. Ideal depth 26 to 28ft. Garage doors...do 8 foot height, not the standard 7. Cars/trucks are only getting bigger. If you ever get a boat, the extra door height is a must.

Bathrooms: I like to put a closet inside every full bathroom. Towels, TP, cleaning supplies, etc. Much better than digging under the sink.

If you have NG or propane plumbed into the house, then add a stub out in the proper location for your grill/barbeque.

Add plenty of exterior electrical outlets. Put one in front and one in the back of the house that's controlled by a switch by the door (think xmas lights, landscape lighting, etc.)

Also, the current pressure treated wood (after 2004) is crap. If your house has a deck, make sure it is flashed to the house properly and have the deck joists covered with joist tape. If you can get CCA treated wood, do it. Since 2004, it's been banned for residential use and only approved for pole barns, commercial structures, and wood foundations. CCA treated wood will not be found at your HD or Lowe's, although Menards does have it on special order. Best to order from a lumber supplier for your "Pole barn" or "Wood foundation" ;)

Congrats and best of luck with the build!

Last edited: