Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are You Making Any Changes, for the Upcoming Season?

I'll be putting in another year with my Cruzr XC tree saddle, but this time with no climbing sticks.
I'm liking this 2 Tether Climbing method. 💯

Also, I'll be using my Elite Ritual 30 and hopefully getting some kills with it. :)
Last, but not least, I'll be using a heavier arrow setup too. 505 for my TAW and tipped with a 125 gr. Steel Force single bevel broadhead (left bevel, to match the left wing fletch). I noticed an improvement in flight and accuracy with 2" Razor Feathers, versus the same size vanes. :cool: So, I'll be making the switch over to all feathers.

What changes, if any, are you making for the upcoming season? 🤔

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
At this stage in my career, there are very few "changes", but lots of tweaks. I'm tweaking arrow setups by a few grains, while testing different fetching setups. The same tried and true shafts/components I've used for years, but continous improvement is a never-ending process. This season #15 for the Switchback XT and again, it's sporting very similar accessories, just tweaking for optimal performance. The biggest change for me is getting a tractor and improving my food plot game. The significant changes made for my bowhunting efforts actually occurred from May-August in the form of habitat "manipulatation". The future of my trophy wall doesn't rely on major changes in my bowhunting equipment, it'll rest on my ability to change the environment in which I deploy that technology.

I am personally in the process of breaking down so I might be going from a vertical to horizontal launcher.
I purchased a Ravin R10, in January of '21. I'm not getting any younger, I figured I might as well buy it now, just in case my shoulders give out. :rolleyes:
Just to try it out, I took it with me last fall in hopes of getting a doe and NOT hoping a really nice buck would show up instead. As it turned out, I was able to shoot a full sized doe....for which I'm grateful, but at the same time the experience was somewhat uneventful. 🤔 Modern crossbows are certainly killing machines.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
1654606799981.png

After I started paper tuning, I had to make some changes to my intended new heavy arrow build. 🤔
I'm using Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 (9.3 gpi) and was going to use a 125 gr. tip weight, but they wouldn't punch "bullet holes" in the paper. So, I changed to a 150 grain tip weight and a 50 grain internal weight (Gold Tip). Also, I'm using 3" left wing feathers, to match the left bevel on the broadhead.

Between making arrow rest adjustments to my QAD and adding FOC weights, it all came together. 💯
The TAW is 575 and the FOC is 24%. As you could imagine, my Elite Ritual 30 is very quiet, while pushing this arrow. However, it does so, very accurately. 54# at a 29" DL. :cool:

Now, I have the task of sharpening these Grizzly single/left bevel broadheads, to a razor's edge. o_O
Gold Tip XT 300 - Grizzly.jpg