Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are You Making Any Changes, for the Upcoming Season?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I just went through my stuff in the garage and I found some 2419 shafts along with some 2117 shafts. I think the 2117s will fit inside the 2419s. I plan on building a set of arrows like that and slap a 250 gn broadhead on that sucker, and go lay the smackdown on a deer at 20 yards. Just waiting for my seven pin sight and 20 MOA base to arrive. ;) ;) ;)

Strizzi

I moved my stand this year for the property I’ve been hunting in West Virginia, it’s in the same general area but feels like a better spot. I’m not sure I’ll actually make it down this year due to starting a new job at the end of the month and the baby coming in November but maybe I can sneak down. Picked up a new Hoyt torrex this year as well. For being a “budget” bow its Surprisingly smoother and feels like an improvement over my Mathew’s creed xs. I got skunked last year and don’t have high hopes for this year mostly due how little I may hunt but next year is looking 👍🏽

Creamer

Athens
I wasn't planning on changes, but I ordered a couple of amsteel daisy chains to replace the buckle straps on my LW sticks and Tethrd platform. It has nothing to do with weight, more to do with silence, convenience, and size. I find a lot of trees that the standard LW straps are just not quite big enough to reach around. They are 6' long, the amsteel daisy chains I ordered are 88", so 16" longer. Mainly, I want something quieter (can't clang) and faster to set up.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I wasn't planning on changes, but I ordered a couple of amsteel daisy chains to replace the buckle straps on my LW sticks and Tethrd platform. It has nothing to do with weight, more to do with silence, convenience, and size. I find a lot of trees that the standard LW straps are just not quite big enough to reach around. They are 6' long, the amsteel daisy chains I ordered are 88", so 16" longer. Mainly, I want something quieter (can't clang) and faster to set up.
I use the amsteel daisy chains on my LW sticks. I like them real well, and the added length is a bonus. The biggest thing is you have to rethink how to get tension on the stick since there isn't a buckle to cinch the stick down tight before you set it. Best thing I've found is to set the stick where you want it on the tree, run the rope around the tree and go to the first loop that wont reach the versa button. Pull the bottom "v" of the stick off the tree and cant the bottom of the stick about 45 degrees towards the loop you want, and this will allow the bottom of the stick to be pushed back enough to get the loop you want, and then you can get enough flex out of the stick to get it back against the tree with a rope that is perpendicular to the stick. This makes for a much safer climb if you were to knock a stick loose climbing up or down.

Now, on the platform, I couldn't find a way to get the daisy chain to cinch tight enough for my liking. Ended up going back to the cinch strap that came with it. If you can make it work, I'd like to know your secrets.

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
After researching a ton over the summer and piecing together a set up as overtime allowed I'm running a saddle this year. I'm going to try exclusively so I get a lot more proficient at it. There is a learning curve but I like it so far and beats hauling my summit around while trying to be more mobile. I've also switched back from expandables to heavier one piece two blade fixed heads. Been a long time since I've changed anything so excited lol. Oh also got a new camo wardrobe after 16 or 17 seasons

Bigcountry40

After missing that buck the other night, I had a feeling that the crossbow was off, I shot it twice tonight and missed the target the second time. Need to get that fixed for the boys, I’m sticking with the compound. So glad I checked it

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
After missing that buck the other night, I had a feeling that the crossbow was off, I shot it twice tonight and missed the target the second time. Need to get that fixed for the boys, I’m sticking with the compound. So glad I checked it
Did you shoot if before going out the first time?

Creamer

Athens
I use the amsteel daisy chains on my LW sticks. I like them real well, and the added length is a bonus. The biggest thing is you have to rethink how to get tension on the stick since there isn't a buckle to cinch the stick down tight before you set it. Best thing I've found is to set the stick where you want it on the tree, run the rope around the tree and go to the first loop that wont reach the versa button. Pull the bottom "v" of the stick off the tree and cant the bottom of the stick about 45 degrees towards the loop you want, and this will allow the bottom of the stick to be pushed back enough to get the loop you want, and then you can get enough flex out of the stick to get it back against the tree with a rope that is perpendicular to the stick. This makes for a much safer climb if you were to knock a stick loose climbing up or down.

Now, on the platform, I couldn't find a way to get the daisy chain to cinch tight enough for my liking. Ended up going back to the cinch strap that came with it. If you can make it work, I'd like to know your secrets.

My package from Custom Amsteel Products came a little while ago. I've only played around with the daisy chains for an hour, but man I wish I had done this sooner. I did @Fluteman 's suggestion with the sticks and they seem really solid on the tree. The platform was definitely different. I tried it a few different ways, and what seems to work for me (I've done this 3 whole times at ground level) is getting the daisy chain as tight as I can, push the platform down (while folded up), fold it down, fold it back up, and cam/fold the platform back down again. When I did that, it seemed really tight and solid. If I just pushed it down, folded the platform out, it definitely was not tight enough to the tree.

These are the 7/64" amsteel daisy chains. And I got orange so when I inevitably drop one somehow in the woods, I can find it a little easier. I'm excited to get using these in the woods. The weight factor honestly wasn't the reason for the change, mainly the silence and ease factor. So far, so good.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
My package from Custom Amsteel Products came a little while ago. I've only played around with the daisy chains for an hour, but man I wish I had done this sooner. I did @Fluteman 's suggestion with the sticks and they seem really solid on the tree. The platform was definitely different. I tried it a few different ways, and what seems to work for me (I've done this 3 whole times at ground level) is getting the daisy chain as tight as I can, push the platform down (while folded up), fold it down, fold it back up, and cam/fold the platform back down again. When I did that, it seemed really tight and solid. If I just pushed it down, folded the platform out, it definitely was not tight enough to the tree.

These are the 7/64" amsteel daisy chains. And I got orange so when I inevitably drop one somehow in the woods, I can find it a little easier. I'm excited to get using these in the woods. The weight factor honestly wasn't the reason for the change, mainly the silence and ease factor. So far, so good.
You know, when I was talking about using a daisy chain on the platform, I didn't really think at the time about it being a webbing daisy chain. It still had a little give to it. I don't believe I ever tried one of the amsteel daisy chains on the platform. That'll give me something to try after work tonight! Thanks for the update Jeff! And glad the stick trick worked for you. Wasn't sure how well that translated into words when I typed it up originally.

Creamer

Athens
You know, when I was talking about using a daisy chain on the platform, I didn't really think at the time about it being a webbing daisy chain. It still had a little give to it. I don't believe I ever tried one of the amsteel daisy chains on the platform. That'll give me something to try after work tonight! Thanks for the update Jeff! And glad the stick trick worked for you. Wasn't sure how well that translated into words when I typed it up originally.

After using the daisy chains for some trail cam moves and hunting with them, my early verdict is:

For the climbing sticks: A+
Platform: TBD

When I tested the platform at home, it locked on real solidly on the sweet gum tree where I tested it. The platform, when I cammed it down, bit into the tree well and it was rock solid. Yesterday morning, on a white oak, the platform didn't bite as well and I couldn't get the platform quite as tight as I'd like. I had no issues hunting from it, but with my (fat ass) weight on it, the top of the Predator did pull away from the tree a hair. The jury is still out on the platform/daisy chain combo.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a real butthole pucker moment a couple weeks ago and I ordered the solution the second I got back to solid ground. I'd been used 8MM paracord and on smaller diameter trees, it's been fine. But I climbed a tree near the max size and couldn't get a good bite with my loop and it damn near slipped loose. So I ordered 1/8" amsteel line, made them 8' instead of 6', and wrapped my sticks with camo form wrap while I was at it. I'll test them out tonight, but I already have much more confidence in this rope than the last!

20221120_115537.jpg
20221120_120639.jpg

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Had a real butthole pucker moment a couple weeks ago and I ordered the solution the second I got back to solid ground. I'd been used 8MM paracord and on smaller diameter trees, it's been fine. But I climbed a tree near the max size and couldn't get a good bite with my loop and it damn near slipped loose. So I ordered 1/8" amsteel line, made them 8' instead of 6', and wrapped my sticks with camo form wrap while I was at it. I'll test them out tonight, but I already have much more confidence in this rope than the last!

View attachment 166592View attachment 166591

Wow....I should probably go to the doc.... For a full two minutes I kept staring at the pics trying to figure out what in the hell you're doing with those four little yellow and green loops.....

Its hell getting old.