Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona Elk Journal.

Fletch

Supporting Member
No way that chain doubles as a necklace when he’s watching bama. Got to keep it real baw.
Ha,Ha.... 1800 miles with a weaker than shit hitch and a safety chain that's pieced together... Nope I wouldn't go 18 miles let alone 1800....Shit should just stop and buy a new truck....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You might want to replace that safety chain first chance you get...

Nothing wrong with that chain. We replaced the bumper bolt in receiver and straps with a ball in Winslow.

And safety chains are a joke anyway. Any trailer with a good amount of weight on it at highway speeds will snap a chain or yank whatever it's connected to clean off after it spins you around and rolls your ass. Thy're for the safety of other more than you. If a trailer comes loose at 75mph the last thing you want for "your safety" is that bitch tied to your ass end with a chain.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The show me state produced again. Girl in her 20s with a nice pair. Interesting enough she was alone. Pulled up laughing, slowed back down and came back up with no shirt on. I'd say it was well worth the paler and ink

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Especially that tow vehicle you’re in 😂

This bitch is a beast!. 2000 7.3L excursion. Tell me any other vehicle with tie down mounts on the inside of the truck and a hatch door capable of supporting a 4 inch ratchet strap with the hoodoo put to it.

It yanked the F-350 and camper out like a boss, that 350 was no help just dead weight
20190926_113135.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Didn’t the trailer hitch not literally rot off the back of that thing? Needing said tie downs inside too make up for it? 😂

The hitch receiver was rusted but still had plenty of meat to it when I cut it off. What busted the receiver was the leverage forces applied by the forest service road. Imagine a two mile road with everything from softball to beachball sized rocks halfway buried in it. The water brakes across the road would have high-centered most 1500 or F-150. When the back of the truck comes over that rise and drops down going uphill and the trailer axle rises with the front pointed downhill a shitload of force is applied to that receiver. It literally twisted the receiver down. The camper is Jims Brothers and out there they flip the axles and under sling them under the springs to get better clearance on those roads. The downside is it also allows them.to pit a shitload more force in the reciever.

The one with the straps was a piece of square stock with a bolt welded to the top. The bolt foes through the ball mount hole. The problem with that is the entire tongue weight is put not over the bumper but rather a foot behind it giving it leverage to twist. The straps we added supported the receiver to reduce leverage until we could limp it in to winslow 100 miles away and get a ball that would fit the bumper hole.

look at how high this trailer sits off the wheels. Now drive the truck uphill while the trailer is on a flat and the camper wheels do over a 2 foot water brake. 😅

Screenshot_20190928-113836_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: MoonLab

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those roads are a different experience for sure! About 3/4 back a 12 mile toad just like the one you showed, I told Mason I couldn’t believe I was putting my truck through the torture. About a minute later we drove by a camp where someone had dragged a big 5th wheel camper in. I have no idea how they got that camper back there. Those roads could destroy a tank.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good recap on those trails... A half ton with 35’s be better suited for all that? Should have plenty of clearance then, right?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Those roads are a different experience for sure! About 3/4 back a 12 mile toad just like the one you showed, I told Mason I couldn’t believe I was putting my truck through the torture. About a minute later we drove by a camp where someone had dragged a big 5th wheel camper in. I have no idea how they got that camper back there. Those roads could destroy a tank.

Some of them.flat amazed me too. You would be miles off the hard road and think you're back in there only to round the corner and find a camper.
Really hard tires with some air let out of them and flipping the axles under the springs. That and a couple spares. 😅.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good recap on those trails... A half ton with 35’s be better suited for all that? Should have plenty of clearance then, right?

Yeah. Clearance isn't really the problem except for your diffs. They just beat the shit out of you. Flat parts aren't bad but any slope the water washes the dirt from around the rocks. You can get out and walk faster on those spots. Even at 3mph i got slammed in to the door hard enough a couple times that I thought I broke a rib. It's most important that you have a hard tire with a good load rating and tough sidewalls. Something like 6 ply.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just put a new set of Firestone tires on before our trip. When we found our way back to blacktop I was surprised to find my truck still driving straight.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with that chain. We replaced the bumper bolt in receiver and straps with a ball in Winslow.

And safety chains are a joke anyway. Any trailer with a good amount of weight on it at highway speeds will snap a chain or yank whatever it's connected to clean off after it spins you around and rolls your ass. Thy're for the safety of other more than you. If a trailer comes loose at 75mph the last thing you want for "your safety" is that bitch tied to your ass end with a chain.
I hear ya on the chains being a joke..... BUT... Have that trailer come off and cause a major crash and the police see that piece meal chain, you'll be up the creek without a paddle... Friend got a ticket once for the safety chains not being crossed....

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio

Happened to me once! I should state that it wasn't a rust issue, my hitch completely disconnected bc of a massive series of potholes......Talk about butt pucker!! Family was in the truck!The safety chain did help guide the camper right into my rear end and get me a new bumper and tailgate.....