Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona Elk Journal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No shit just paid a $2.25 toll to a piece of shit box in the middle of an exit ramp in Oklahoma with a cow not 20 foot away watching over the fence. Nothing for miles around except one gas station, a toll box, and a bored ass cow.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
20190911_102150.jpg
20190911_095726.jpg
20190911_095638.jpg
20190911_105629.jpg
20190911_095616.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sorry i haven't updated as the signal here is spotty at best.

The bulls haven't started bugeling during the day yet and only sparsely right after dark. Nothing big just a lazy little bugle. Yesterday morning a friend and I were slowly stalking through a large pine flat mixed with juniper and scrub oak. There was sign everywhere. We went a half mile in 2.5 hours stopping every 15 feet to glass ahead. The wind was at our 3 o'clock and blowing down off to another canyon. As we reached the edge of the far canyon we went 300 yards upwind and started stalking back the other direction. By stalking a crosswind we have the advantage to run lines back and forth. Moving a few hundred yards upwing and going back the other way.

About halfway back around 40 yards up ahead but to our left i see some damn nice rubs. Baseball bat sized pines rubbed 8 foot high. We both pull up our binos and look at the rubs. I looked at him and whispered that i was going to walk over and take a look at them. I went three steps and a giant bull jumped straight up and crashed off behind the trees. This sucker was a big as a bramah bull with horse legs and somehow managed to hide RIGHT BELOW those two rubs we just looked at in our glass. He was on a little rise behind a small log. No doubt about it a 350 bull and and likely more. He must have laid his antlers down and tried to hide hoping we would walk right by. No way any part of him was visible and we both overlooked it from 40 yards away through glass.

He was all alone and never answered a cow call. He acted like he had zero interest in finding cows.