Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Badger

badger

*Supporting Member*
When you heading to texas? do you guys go every year?

Milo

Being off four months for my surgery might have squashed my hog hunt for 2011. I'm not totally giving up hope, but my extra coins are scarce right now. Normally we book the hunt around the full moon in March or April, but we have went in February a few times. If I do make it this year, it will be the twelfth year for me, and seventeen for my buddy. I had made it ten years consecutive, and then missed a few years when I bought this house.

I do have a few hundred set aside that I was going to use to get last years boar mounted. Funny you should ask because I just mentioned to my bride that I might try to add to that money and go back to Texas instead of the mount. I just need some over time at work or a winning lottery ticket!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
damn badger thats a bummer. hope you get to go. hope to do what you guys are doing sometime here soon. sounds like therapy to me

Milo

Tatonka guide.
YEp texas is where I would want to hunt...would like to spot and stalk...and spill pig blood...I would for sure be driving....

badger

*Supporting Member*
There's more than enough javelina on the ranch we hunt for stalking. Plenty of feral hogs too, but stalking them is a little rougher. The majority of the hogs are nocturnal unless you hunt the summer months, then guys will sneak up to the water holes during the day and get shots. Don't get me wrong I have killed hogs during day light hours but most were shot at night. Good news here is you don't have to sit in the dark on bait, you can stalk the hogs in the dark with a decent pair of binos and some moonlight. I like to hit the wider sendaros that have lighter colored sand so the black hogs will silhouette themselves.

How soon are you putting a hunt together?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
There's more than enough javelina on the ranch we hunt for stalking. Plenty of feral hogs too, but stalking them is a little rougher. The majority of the hogs are nocturnal unless you hunt the summer months, then guys will sneak up to the water holes during the day and get shots. Don't get me wrong I have killed hogs during day light hours but most were shot at night. Good news here is you don't have to sit in the dark on bait, you can stalk the hogs in the dark with a decent pair of binos and some moonlight. I like to hit the wider sendaros that have lighter colored sand so the black hogs will silhouette themselves.

How soon are you putting a hunt together?

i would love to go next year but here in a bit i may be on the 5 year plan...i will know more in april...