Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baiting Mature Bucks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Happens everywhere, everyday. Some shmuck aimlessly walking around checking out “the woods” for deer sign, or got the nature bug and decided too go for a walk about.... Probably won’t affect a thing, but time will tell....

Press on with the plan, Hope for the best...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This truly does suck though Joe. The smell of Old Spice is prolly a strange smell to the local herd I imagine. Hopefully this rain will wash it all away.

Just how far did this idiot walk in the woods in his church clothes anyway? Lol

Last edited:

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I deal with this every year, LO son ripping ass in his utv, LO friends doing much of the same and nature hikers. I cant do much because im close friends of theirs. I usually focus heavily late season after gun. He did show back this morning though and over night.

covert_2018824103030.png

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
And of all places, not entirely sure how this guy ended up here, lot of energy to walk that hill, Joe knows lol, I went as far to move my entire setup this season to try and avoid the casual intrusion, depending how he walked in he probably got spotted walking up the hill. I've got this setup right on an edge of a thicket of honey suckle and where the deer have the advantage of having a downhill view spying an entire bowl of hardwoods and the entrance into the woods

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's the early season curse. If we get nasty weather in January, it's my absolute favorite time. No one else is outside. No hikers, bikers, nothing. Not even distant barking dogs.
Hopefully he didn't mess up your chances. I doubt he did. I think deer can tell a difference between a man with ill intent and a man out for a stroll

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm curious if any of you keep track of how much $$$ you spend on baiting deer in a year? I know how much corn goes for, and how quickly a couple deer can wipe out 50lbs of whole corn. But having a dandy buck coming to bait is a hell of a drug! So what do you spend, or maybe the better question is how much are you willing to spend to keep that big buck coming?

And by the way Alex, that's a hell of a buck. Hope he keeps the pattern alive this weekend, good luck!

Reactions: hickslawns

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Just evidence that shows they are ruled by their stomachs. I’ve never really understood the concept of worrying about ‘blowing them into the next county’. There are people there too... Now kill that sucka!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with Fluteman. Good luck on him. Curious how much people spend or how much they are willing to spend. I spent $20 so far for my cousin coming up from NC. Haven't placed it yet. I plan on spending another $20. I think in a feeder it will last a bit. Might just throw it on the ground based on what I have read here.

Lundy

I probably averaged $700-800 a year after I went with automatic feeders primarily. I spent much more when I dumped, but I was maintaining as many as 7-8 locations, less at each location, at the same time. Also a $10 deer block at each location every other week on average in addition to the corn.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Lundy

Also after a few years I quit dumping corn in piles like in these pictures. I used a scoop and would broadcast the corn over a large area spreading it way out. It would last much longer and drew then in just as effectively. It also spread the deer out in a much larger area, kept them (older bucks) on the bait for longer periods, provided any shot angle you wanted as the moved around constantly searching out the individual kernels and eliminated a lot of the doe fights.

Just how I did it, your results may vary.

Redneckfucker

Greene county
I curre
Also after a few years I quit dumping corn in piles like in these pictures. I used a scoop and would broadcast the corn over a large area spreading it way out. It would last much longer and drew then in just as effectively. It also spread the deer out in a much larger area, kept them (older bucks) on the bait for longer periods, provided any shot angle you wanted as the moved around constantly searching out the individual kernels and eliminated a lot of the doe fights.

Just how I did it, your results may vary.
this is how I did it this year and it seems more affective to me as a don’t have the corn molding and getting sour it will just sprout instead and they graze as they like to but everyone has there ways of doing things!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When I was running a pile like this I was going through about 200lbs a week. I want to say it was about $100 per 1000lbs. $5 +/- per bushel. Start baiting in July and the bill was well over $300 by opening day.

The key is you gotta get the coons off it. I read somewhere that coons can consume about 4 pounds of food per night. Running bait like this you eventually attract every coon for miles. I personally had 10 coons go through 50lbs of corn in two days.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I'm curious if any of you keep track of how much $$$ you spend on baiting deer in a year? I know how much corn goes for, and how quickly a couple deer can wipe out 50lbs of whole corn. But having a dandy buck coming to bait is a hell of a drug! So what do you spend, or maybe the better question is how much are you willing to spend to keep that big buck coming?

And by the way Alex, that's a hell of a buck. Hope he keeps the pattern alive this weekend, good luck!

not to sound arrogant but less than your cellphone Bill, i could be wrong. Maybe 10 to 15$ a week, the aggronomy center over here sells me tax exempt at 3-4 dollars a bushell. Assume at most 200# a week this time of year. It's a write off as well lol. Come winter, its more lol

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
not to sound arrogant but less than your cellphone Bill, i could be wrong. Maybe 10 to 15$ a week, the aggronomy center over here sells me tax exempt at 3-4 dollars a bushell. Assume at most 200# a week this time of year. It's a write off as well lol. Come winter, its more lol

That's a fair statement Alex, and I honestly didn't mean anything by mine either. I was more or less curious what it costs to hold deer around for a season.

So how often are you guys dumping bait? I assume you're not throwing out 2-300lbs of corn at a time, so do go out once a week? Every other week? Do you guys worry about scent if you can drive to the site? Do you wait for a good rain, or just go in whenever you need to?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What's your justification to make corn a tax write-off and how are you getting it tax-free? You're not a farmer or a government employee correct? If I'm wrong, I apologize. Deer corn just seems like a dumb way to get your peepee smacked by Uncle Sam and get flagged for an audit.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's your justification to make corn a tax write-off and how are you getting it tax-free? You're not a farmer or a government employee correct? If I'm wrong, I apologize. Deer corn just seems like a dumb way to get your peepee smacked by Uncle Sam and get flagged for an audit.

I write it off every year when I have to pay the taxes on the little bit or ad revenue that TOO produces. For me its a costs of goods sold expense. I use corn to get pictures which I post on TOO as content, content generates traffic that results in Ad revenue. We make just enough to pay the bills on TOO so I have to reduce the tax liability.